TF-727 Front Pump Bushing/Bearing

-

JoJo

Reaction score
Last night, I experienced the almighty stuck converter. Today, I asked around to see what was going on and how to solve that problem. After some hard work, it came out along with something extra. My question is where does that bushing/bearing fit? Does the front pump have to come off?

Pump bushing,pressed in behind front seal,sounds like it welded itself to the converter hub.It most likely trashed the converter and pump.

pump needs to come apart to drive bushing out and in...the bushing needs to be staked also...

Can I get away by rebuilding the pump or does the whole transmission needs to be rebuilt (someone told me to do it and be on the safe side). I've searched eBay and found a service kit for the front pump.

If the pump parts all look good and the bushing came out with the converter you will need to replace the converter as mentioned above.
But if that is all that is damaged, then you can just re bush and seal the pump and run it.

If the pump parts all look good and the bushing came out with the converter you will need to replace the converter as mentioned above.
But if that is all that is damaged, then you can just re bush and seal the pump and run it.

The bushing did come out with the converter. I will pull the pump today and inspect it.

.............If the bushing did much spinning in the pump u will have to replace the pump......ur converter prolly needs a new hub welded on......kim.........

vc84h.jpg

doqoa0.jpg

2l9gl5.jpg

2d7u655.jpg

Just a few things to consider as far as diagnosis,have you swapped converter or engine lately?What type of flexplate,etc..I have personally had more than a few aftermarket converters with mis-machined hubs.Your gonna ask five people about what type of bushing to use(babbit,bronze,dimpled-bronze)and probably get five different answers.Be sure whatever repair is done,the hub to bushing clearance is between .003-.005"

Just a few things to consider as far as diagnosis,have you swapped converter or engine lately?What type of flexplate,etc..I have personally had more than a few aftermarket converters with mis-machined hubs.Your gonna ask five people about what type of bushing to use(babbit,bronze,dimpled-bronze)and probably get five different answers.Be sure whatever repair is done,the hub to bushing clearance is between .003-.005"

I installed a different engine about two weeks ago. Just started driving the vehicle around the neighborhood Tuesday to test everything. Flexplate is from a '77 engine and the transmission is a '72. I will be sure to check bushing clearance.

I'll see what I can find locally. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Is it possible for me to rebuild the pump?
no, if the bushing came out on the convertor, it has damaged the pump body. it won't take a new bushing anymore.

It looks like that bushing spun pretty good.
Once that happens it misalignes the pump gears and trashes the housing.
Your best bet is to replace the pump and converter both.

no, if the bushing came out on the convertor, it has damaged the pump body. it won't take a new bushing anymore.

If that came to our shop, we wouldn't touch it without a teardown and complete cleanup. All that missing metal went somewhere and it didn't fall out on the ground.

The cooler lines need to be rinsed out also.

If that came to our shop, we wouldn't touch it without a teardown and complete cleanup. All that missing metal went somewhere and it didn't fall out on the ground.

-
Back