TF for a blower motor- or a Glide??

-

tweety

Reaction score
Ok Chris I need some input on transmissions for blown motors, I've got to tell you I'm very wary of high horsepower torqueflites, but what are thoughts on building a race trans to put behind a blown smallblock, figure around 1250HP and 900+ lbs of torque, it's all low RPM's though , the motor should never see much over 7000RPM.
Car weight will be around 2800lbs final gearing TBA?
I'll probably get an ATI blower converter, I've used that company a lot in the past and I've never had any problems with them-ah I neeed some bench racing tonight :mrgreen:

Andy, Chris is building a tube Chassis valaint that will have over 1000 horse when done. Hes going to be building a TF for it.

He get an answer to you soon. Hes moving his shop right now.

I want one for a 3000lb cuda , which is a whole different deal?
Let's see where this leads?

tweety said:
Ok Chris I need some input on transmissions for blown motors, I've got to tell you I'm very wary of high horsepower torqueflites, but what are thoughts on building a race trans to put behind a blown smallblock, figure around 1250HP and 900+ lbs of torque, it's all low RPM's though , the motor should never see much over 7000RPM.
Car weight will be around 2800lbs final gearing TBA?
I'll probably get an ATI blower converter, I've used that company a lot in the past and I've never had any problems with them-ah I neeed some bench racing tonight :mrgreen:

Hey tweety,

1250 at the crank is a bunch .. who's blower are you going to use? There are a handfull of cars making 1100ish hp out there, going 7.60-7.70 with the 727. Can the 727 handle another 150 hp? In my opinion yes, but you will hear different from other builders (rossler, coan, hughes etc). Converter choice will be critical.

Couple of things to look at ..most importantly the cost. It will cost over 6k to build the 727 opposed to 3-4k for a glide. Are you planning to race on a bracket or pro tree? The 727 works better off of a bracket tree. It isn't as quick off a .400 pro tree as the glide.

As far as gear ratios, this is another area that people making a lot of power are concerned with 3 speeds. If you have too much starting line ratio, you'll blow the tires off. Thus the reason people use the 1.78 1.80 etc first gear glide's. The factory 727 has a 2.45:1 first gear. At this time, we can go as numerically low as 2.28 first. This gear set has strait cut teeth opposed to helical. Rumor has is "someone" will be making a 727 gearset with a 2.08ish first.

For what its worth I'll be using a 727 with the 2.28 first with around 1000hp or more. However, I personally don't have any customers with my 727 tranny making that much power .. want to be the first? :mrgreen:

Hope this helps some! :salut: :thumleft:

Hi mate thanks for the info' this is actually for the other car- my old 69 cuda, it's always been a TF car and I'm loathe to change it now. And to answer your question this one is a D3M Procharger

The problem I'm having is justifying spending 5K on a 727 then another big chunk on a converter.
I have the Lenco for the other one and looking at simple things like the input and output shafts I'd say the weak link will be there and it's about $1000 to get those made in billet.
I can buy a glide that will handle a huge amount of power, be a lot more efficient and a bunch lighter for a lot less cash??
Listen email and we'll see if we can make a plan, I'll give you all the details then.
Thanks Andy
it's [email protected]

Hey Andy,

If you spend the $ for the high dollar 727, it already has 300M steel input and output shafts, which are 4 times stronger than the OEM shafts. It also comes with a stainless steel input hub (another weak point in high HP applications).

I can buy a glide that will handle a huge amount of power, be a lot more efficient and a bunch lighter for a lot less cash??

The glide will handle the power, be a little bit lighter, and easier on your wallet .. but more efficient? Not in my opinion. :bounce: :mrgreen:

3 SPEEDS ARE COMING BACK! :thumleft:

-
Back