TF727 auto or Chrysler 3 or 4spd manual?

74' Duster 318. TF727 ? 3spd ? 4spd ?

• keep the TF727

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Swap in the 3spd

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Swap in the 4spd if I can get it

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

dusterman79

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 74' Duster with a mild 318 street motor and it currently has a TF727 in her. I pretty much have everything to convert the car over to manual. I also have a 3spd from a 72' Duster 340 that I am seriously thinking about putting in. I also may have a 4spd from a 72' Duster 340 too. Obviously the 4spd beats the 3spd but not sure if I can persuade the owner of them to let go of the 4spd even though he will never use it again. My question to you guys is which one would you suggest for my Duster? Any comments, questions, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the 727. It's already there. It's bulletproof.

The 727 is a great trans , but there is nothing like shifting that hurst 4 speed a833

Depends on what YOU like. Sticks are fun to row the gears but automatics are nearly always faster (but not my much). Personally, I like automatics because in a high power application their easier on the rest of the driveline and easier to get out of the hole, but that's just my preference.

I wouldn't go to all that work for the 3spd. Enjoy the 727 until you have a 4spd in your hands. Then we can revisit the question...

If that 833 doesn't become available, and your teen is mild, look out for a 4spd OD. Kinda sounds like that's what may suit you needs?

Can't beat a good 727 or 904 for that matter, some nice parts a good shift kit a 3,500 to like mine 4,400 rpm stall and your out of the hole and into 2nd gear quicker than any conventional 4 -speed. I do own both and a 4-speed gets old if you run into a lot of traffic. Or it's hilly! Your call.

Since there is little to no chance others will ever drive your car or even ride in it... Why should they care what transmission it has ?
Suit yourself

While a 4 spd is fun. Since you already have the 727 in place, I'd keep it and add a manual valve body. Still get to shift manually, quick very positive shifts :burnout: etc...Best of both worlds...sort of.

Pat

You must search to find your own A-833, obtain and install it, Grasshopper.......you must become one with the engine, clutch, linkage and ultimately, traction. Now go.....

Kung_Fu-From_Dark_Angel.png

-
Back