TF727 will not up shift to 2nd on launch

-

68 Notch Back

Reaction score
First run at the track was a normal run. Then, with a normal launch, when I shifted to second, it did not change. I got out of it and shifted again and it went to 3rd. Three runs with the same results.
I have a B&M ratchet shifter and a Turbo action Cheeta XtremeAction manual valve body.
Just driving around the pit area the Trans shifts normally. I went to run with a moderate launch to see if that had something to do with it but was rained out before getting to run.

Any idea of what went wrong?

Thanks

Not an expert ....

To much line pressure?

Are you using a kick down rod? When you backed out and shifted again yes it went into third, you shifted it twice. The governor spring could be wrong?

Or the kickdown band(2nt) is out of adj and it has enough clamping force for a low load but full throttle, it just smoking the band.....pull your dipstick and see if it smells. get under the car and make sure your 2nt band adj is right.

Wasn't familiar with the new Cheetah, so i went online and checked. all have kickdown linkage DELETE.
What one did you buy? if it was this one, you need a controller to go with it.........

17855EXA: CHEETAH XtremeAction Race Only Electronic Shift (PRND21)*
The 17855EXA has a safe clean neutral and no need to use a button to backup. Provides fully Electronic Shifts
or Manual Override. Automatic features include: Pit Road Mode, Burnout Mode and Race Mode*. Maintains stock shift pattern. No Band applied in Low Gear. Allows full engine braking in Second and Third gear only. This valve body is the ultimate for Drag Racing. Eliminates use of passing gear linkage.
* Requires a 70600 E-SHIFT Controller.

Here is another thought. What did the instruction say about the accumulator piston and the actual piston that activates 2nt gear, band. could it be binding up in the bore?

well that's kind of cool.... but assuming it also incorporates either an air or electric shifter to utilize the "automatic" part along with the mentioned controller.

Safe to say the OP was manually shifting?

I am manually shifting, and it was built by a place called Shifters in Jacksonville Florida.
I will pull the dipstick this morning.

Make sure it's not a linkage adj on you shifter. aka shift between 2nt and third and then you shift it again and it goes into 3d
When you shift it gently (on the return road) you don't push it past 2nt.............just a thought.

Went back to the track last night, with good results. After the first full pull that resulted in the trans NOT shifting into second, I went back to the pit and checked the trans fluid. It measured a little low on fluid. I added about 1/2 qt or Type F and took it back out. It ran good with good solid shifts. 1.725 60' and 7.5 @ 91.5 MPH.
We'll see what happens in future runs.

Thanks guys!

Quick update.....I installed a deep transmission pan (+2 qts) and an extended fluid pickup and it shifts great on every pull. Lesson learned.

-
Back