Thank god the rain stopped

-

norshorblufish

By the Big Water
Reaction score
We had 9" of rain in less than 24 hours Tuesday and Wednesday.
This is unusual for our area.
The majority of the city of Duluth is on a hill side which made the problems worse.

The North Shore area as well as the South Shore areas of Lake Superior got slammed hard too.
Thankfully no one was killed or badly injured. An 8 year old kid was washed through a storm drain for about 6 block before being rescued. Lucky boy!

The zoo here lost some farm type animals that were washed away and drown. Two seals escaped but were captured and the polar bear was able to escape it's enclosure was tranquilized and moved to safe secured area.

I spent most of the day fixing my driveway and getting some of the silt out of my garage now I got to open the doors to let it dry out.
We've had worse at my place with less rain before they did ditching and culvert work up hill from my house.

Here's a few picture from the internet around the area and some I toke of a river half mile from my house my house.
View attachment 20120620_dmflood4_53.jpg

View attachment 20120620_dmflood5_53.jpg
Here's one of the seals that got lose
View attachment 20120620_duluth_seal_53.jpg

View attachment 20120620_duluth20_53.jpg

View attachment cregerflood0621c7.jpg

View attachment flood57tholney0620_500px1.jpg

View attachment floodmidwaygc0620_630px.jpg

View attachment floodtracks0620b_630px.jpg

View attachment hollingsworthflood0621c14.jpg

View attachment house_flood.jpg

I am glad no one was killed or injured. I seen on yahoo that some of the animals didn't survive the flooding. Thanks for posting the pictures and looks like the devastation is really bad.

I was thinking of you and your wife, glad you are all ok and don't have damage like they show on the news. One picture that I seen was an aireal shot showing lake superior, the pretty blue water with all the brown mud and debris around the edge from run-off, crazy!! Hope they get things restored quickly, lots of damage.

I bet the waters are really flowing through Gooseberry Falls right now....Thanks for the pics.

Thanks Keith and 73 Swinger for your concern.
The river in the picture is the French river. A few miles north the bridge over the Knife river is closed the trees and water were washing over it. So the state d.o.t will have to inspect it when the water goes down.

Thank God the rains stopped and everyone is ok. It has to be upsetting to see so much damage to your home town. One thing that makes the flooding worse is all the commercial development, water running off large areas of roofs and asphalt, the creeks can't handle it.

Not one word of this in the so called "news." They're too busy worrying about Alec Baldwin or Lindsey Lohan

I seen on the news 3 motorist were killed today when a road washed away in Wisconsin.

Gotta be careful out there--and that means more then don't drink or speed

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-06-21-17-32-13

WILLARD, Wis. (AP) -- Heavy rainfall washed away a 50-foot stretch of highway in central Wisconsin and three people were killed when their vehicles plunged into the resulting ravine and the raging water below, authorities said Thursday.

The crashes occurred in the tiny town of Willard, about 50 miles southeast of Eau Claire. A motorist discovered the vehicles Thursday about 1:30 a.m., Clark County Chief Deputy Jim Backus said.

The vehicles fell 12 to 15 feet, ending up partially submerged in a river below that swelled as high as 10 feet in places, Backus said.

A pickup truck carrying Thomas J. Jurceka, 56, and Susan Jurceka, 57, both of Milwaukee, crashed first. A second vehicle driven by Mary A. Malinowski, 24, of Thorp followed some time later and landed on top of the truck. All three were pronounced dead at the scene.

"I was the first one there. It was just a horrible feeling because it was helpless," Backus said. "You had the water, the road was actually still collapsing on the vehicles and around the vehicles. Just a helpless feeling."

The National Weather Service said the area had received only 1 to 3 inches of rain Wednesday night, but meteorologist Todd Shea added that the area had been saturated from heavy rain in previous days. He said about 4 inches had fallen over the past seven days, leading to saturated soil that couldn't absorb much more rain.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-06-21-19-42-10

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) -- Nicole Lamphier and her family planned to ride out the flooding inundating their Duluth neighborhood at a friend's home nearby, but when they ran out of diapers for their 9-month-old, they called in the Coast Guard to get them out.

Lamphier, her husband and three young children were evacuated by boat Thursday from their low-lying neighborhood of Fon du Lac, where about 200 residents who left for higher ground during and after two days of historically heavy rain don't know when it'll be safe to return home.

"The damage is indescribable," said Lamphier, 30. "It's kind of heartbreaking. You see people down there that have lost everything. I'm just glad to be out."

City, county and state officials spent Thursday assessing damage, while areas farther south continued to fight rising waters. The town of Moose Lake was being described as "an island."

Gov. Mark Dayton, who toured flood-ravaged areas on Thursday, said he was committed to providing state resources, and would work to speed the process of getting appropriate federal aid. Duluth's mayor, Don Ness, estimated that there was $50 million to $80 million in damage caused to the city's public infrastructure alone.

OH BOY IT'S RAINING AGAIN!
It's gotten so dry from earlier in the week. NOT!

Here's some picture of my nephews trailer, car and his dad's cabin near the St. Louis river on the west side of Duluth in the Fond Du Lac neighborhood. Thank god they were evacuated in time!

They went in by boat to check out the damage.
When his dad was going to build the cabin he had an architect that designs for flood areas design it with the living space on top of the garage space. The live space looks to be spared don't know what was in the garage space below it. There is another garage on the property that had a four wheeler atv and a riding lawn mower in it. Atv was floating around in it.
View attachment R1-07151-000A_0001.jpg

View attachment R1-07151-005A.jpg

View attachment R1-07151-007A.jpg

View attachment R1-07151-010A.jpg

View attachment R1-07151-015A.jpg

This is awful !! how did I miss this on the news, I have been busy on the road and hotels APA pool league stuff but I am just seeing this
My computer went south on me for a few days.

Wasn't much national coverage from what I understand.
Guess we're not as important as which celebrity is in trouble or going to be in trouble next.

-
Back