Thanks for adding me

-

Randy Hayden

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how rare my car is, it's a 65 dart, 270 convertible. 273, which I believe is the commando motor with a 4 speed. I've taken it to shows and no one has ever seen on like it?

I've been trying to figure out how rare my car is, it's a 65 dart, 270 convertible. 273, which I believe is the commando motor with a 4 speed. I've taken it to shows and no one has ever seen on like it?
Welcome to FABO. Let me see if there are some numbers. Not many production records for those early cars. Does your 273 have a 4 barrel? Do you have any close up photos of the fender tag? @65dartcharger is the expert on those cars.

Yes it's 4 barrel believe the manifold is stock but doesn't have the stock carb. I will post pictures of the tag later today. Thanks

Yes it's 4 barrel believe the manifold is stock but doesn't have the stock carb. I will post pictures of the tag later today. Thanks
If I remember correctly, my books don't have any breakdown between the convertibles and the hardtops but Ulf (65dartcharger) may have more information.

:welcome: from :canada:
How about some pictures of your car?

DSCN1361.JPG

Welcome from WI. Nice looking car! Lots of great folks here.

Welcome Randy.
Pretty sweet 65 you got there.
I'll tell you that beyond the numbers, a sure fire way to tell if you have a 273 Commando engine is to pull a spark plug and look in the cylinder with a Bore Scope and look at the Valve relief cuts in the piston top. If you have 4 valve reliefs, you will have a standard two barrel, low compression 273. If you have only two valve reliefs, it would indicate the Commando 273 high compression engine.
I found a harbor freight unit worked fine.

Welcome Randy.
Pretty sweet 65 you got there.
I'll tell you that beyond the numbers, a sure fire way to tell if you have a 273 Commando engine is to pull a spark plug and look in the cylinder with a Bore Scope and look at the Valve relief cuts in the piston top. If you have 4 valve reliefs, you will have a standard two barrel, low compression 273. If you have only two valve reliefs, it would indicate the Commando 273 high compression engine.
I found a harbor freight unit worked fine.
Yes I've been told that the commando has domed pistons, I have a little camera I can insert to look!

Yes I've been told that the commando has domed pistons, I have a little camera I can insert to look!
With 2 valve reliefs. First photo is the 2 barrel pistons. They could be flat tops as well if they have been replaced. The second photo is the high compression ones for the 4 barrel engine.

273 pistons.jpg

010700_1422[00].jpg

Yes, Toolman has them. He helped me with mine.
You should be able to distinguish between the two with the bore scope pretty easily. It worked for me.

With 2 valve reliefs. First photo is the 2 barrel pistons. They could be flat tops as well if they have been replaced. The second photo is the high compression ones for the 4 barrel engine.

View attachment 1716053574

View attachment 1716053575
Nice, thanks for the pictures. I had a guy tell me the only way to know is pull the heads. By the power that this car has I'm pretty certain it's the commando motor. All I have to do is pull a plug!
I've had this car for 6 years and it's a blast to drive. I get asked quite often is it a hemi!

Keep us informed please. I've got my fingers crossed hopping for your Commando engine.
The bore scope worked good for me.

-
Back