That one meal item

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I’m sitting here making supper and started thinking about how much I missed some of the meals made by those who have passed on that I’d kill to have made by that person just one more time. You know the types of recipes that only taste “right” when made by that person no matter what the recipe says or who tries to duplicate it.

My personal choices are:

My grandmother’s chilli and then her rice pudding for desert.

My grandfather made completely from scratch biscuits and gravy and then his made from scratch, no store box pre-mix crap, pancakes.

my Wife’s grandmother’s chilli, completely different style and heat than my own grandmother’s but unique and very good.

My grandfathers cousin’s homemade BBQ sauce, the one that Heinz tried to buy that the old man took to his grave with him.

What are some of yours

My grandmother's potato salad was by far, the best i ever had.
And my mom had a recipe and technique to do bbq pork short ribs in a crockpot. You had to fish the meat out, cause it fell of the bone while in the pot.
Sure wish i knew were that recipe was!
My mom and i used to make pancakes from scratch with beated egg whites. Sooo fluffy. Superb. WAY too much work for me now. I settle for frozen waffles now.:(

Last edited:
My dad made potato pancakes.
I've tried just not the same.
And jam samiches .nobody could jam two pieces of bread together and make it taste good like he could.
Homemade pasta from scratch.
The almost ex makes it like no other.

Mom's biscuits and gravy for sure. She would cut all of the fat out and just have little bits of bacon.
I've tried with the cabbage rolls and cant pull that off either.
Dad made some wicked jerky. Haven't figured that one out yet either.

My grandmother's slow-cooked horse
She's cook it in a cast iron skillet

If i ever end up on death row, that's what I want for my final meal

My mom used to make a killer chicken paprikash with sour cream sauce...

Family recipe...

My sisters scratch made buttermilk biscuits, with fresh off the ear creamed corn over the biscuits. :(

We will have fresh corn off the stalk here in about 7 weeks when our local farm stand opens... Nothing like fresh corn on the cob...

I can no longer eat a lot of the stuff I loved to have made, top of the list is Gramma's fried chicken. My Mom, even when we were young, and she was inexperienced, was never a bad cook, except for a few things. She used to boil aspharagus until it was baby food mush. When I came home from the Navy in '74 I was elated to learn she'd learned to steam it and "who knew?" I liked it!! Liver. Mom could never cook liver and I won't eat it to this day. But for the most part LOTS of dishes Mom made was great stuff!!

My grandmother's boliche. It's a Cuban dish made with eye of round with Spanish chorizo stuffed in the middle. I still dream of it. RIP Abuelita. :(

boliche-landscape-min-700x500.jpg

DSCN5833.jpg

My mom made a ham potpie that I miss. It wasn't done in a pie crust or anything, almost like a pasta type meal.

She started by boiling a ham hock. She used bow tie noodles, and other than a little pickle juice, I'm not sure what all she put in it. I think it was a southern Pennsylvania type dish.

My mom made a ham potpie that I miss.

She started by boiling a ham hock. She used bow tie noodles, and other than a little pickle juice, I'm not sure what all she put in it. I think it was a southern Pennsylvania type dish.

Did you say "Ham Popeye"??? :lol:

If you say pot pie fast enough it sounds like Popeye...

I can no longer eat a lot of the stuff I loved to have made, top of the list is Gramma's fried chicken. My Mom, even when we were young, and she was inexperienced, was never a bad cook, except for a few things. She used to boil aspharagus until it was baby food mush. When I came home from the Navy in '74 I was elated to learn she'd learned to steam it and "who knew?" I liked it!! Liver. Mom could never cook liver and I won't eat it to this day. But for the most part LOTS of dishes Mom made was great stuff!!

If you boil asparagus for 3 - 4 minutes it has a nice texture and not soggy....

I miss lots of things my Mom & Grandma made, but in fact, I miss stuff even I used to make. My family recently decided to turn vegan and, although we are discovering new delicious dishes all the time, I guess I miss the taste of various meat dishes. It's for health reasons if you must know.

I miss lots of things my Mom & Grandma made, but in fact, I miss stuff even I used to make. My family recently decided to turn vegan and, although we are discovering new delicious dishes all the time, I guess I miss the taste of various meat dishes. It's for health reasons if you must know.
Been considering a switch my self. Maybe not fully but definitely more of that style or a gluten free style

My dad regretted that his mom didn't teach him how to make gravy...

I guess she made a great gravy from scratch...

I have some cousins that are vegans... Some of their stuff is good, some of it taste like cardboard....

My dad regretted that his mom didn't teach him how to make gravy...

I guess she made a great gravy from scratch...

i make a pretty mean gravy myself
and since gravy is a southern thing and neither me nor the missus are from the south (well, not that south, at least) i had to google the recipe

last year we were on vacation with about a dozen or so of our closest friends, and i was watching my buddy make gravy
it looked an awful lot familiar, so i asked him...google?
yes goes, yup, google

Been considering a switch my self. Maybe not fully but definitely more of that style or a gluten free style
Read "The China Study", by Dr. Colon Campbell if you want additional information on the reasons we went vegan, and it may help you decide on a proper course of action that best suits your situation.

My mom's sourdough pancakes, and my wife's potato salad and turkey stuffing. I know how to make all three and have the recipes, but they are just lacking something when I do it. And I'm a good cook.

I've tried and failed so many times to make gravy and I gave up. :BangHead::BangHead:

Store bought for me!!

if you want to give it another try, this is how i make mine

Sausage gravy

ingredients

· 1 Pound Ground Pork Sausage

· 2 Tablespoons Butter

· 1/3 Cup Flour

· 3 Cups Milk

· 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder

· 1/4 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt

· 1/4 Teaspoon Salt

· 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper

Instructions

1. Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.

2. Add the butter to the pan and stir it around until melted.

3. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir for 2 minutes.

4. Pour the milk into the sausage and flour mixture slowly, whisking constantly until smooth.

5. Whisk in the seasonings. Taste the gravy and adjust seasoning if necessary.

6. Serve immediately with your favorite biscuits.

if you want to give it another try, this is how i make mine

Sausage gravy

ingredients

· 1 Pound Ground Pork Sausage

· 2 Tablespoons Butter

· 1/3 Cup Flour

· 3 Cups Milk

· 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder

· 1/4 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt

· 1/4 Teaspoon Salt

· 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper

Instructions

1. Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.

2. Add the butter to the pan and stir it around until melted.

3. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir for 2 minutes.

4. Pour the milk into the sausage and flour mixture slowly, whisking constantly until smooth.

5. Whisk in the seasonings. Taste the gravy and adjust seasoning if necessary.

6. Serve immediately with your favorite biscuits.

I think I remember seeing you post that before. I printed it this time and will give it one last try!!

-
Back