That thing-a-ma-jig what-cha-ma-call-it do-dad list

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
This may have been done before but what the heck! I welcome any and all to contribute their slang automotive terms to this thread. I've noticed several interesting names for parts depending on where you guys and gals are located and would like to see more of the terminology so let em rip!

IE: "slush box" for automatic trans, "huffer" & "blower" for supercharger, "hair dryer" for turbo etc....

How about those little E clips that you will find on throttle linkage among other places. I call them Jesus clips 'cause when you try to put them on they usually go flying somewhere and you say, "Jesus, where did that thing go!"

Well, around here, "runnin on a peg" means no posi. A "dumper" is a car that can only do burnouts from a neautral drop or jacking the rpms and dumping the clutch. And any car leaking anything is said to be "raggin". Theres probable hundreds more that Im not thinking of now because they are more commonly used than the non-slang terms.

How about bumpstick for the cam.....

New boots or new shoes for the tires

I know on the other side of the pond the Brits call the hood the bonnet and the trunk the turtle....

I know on the other side of the pond the Brits call the hood the bonnet and the trunk the turtle....

You took mine from me hood the bonnet and the trunk the turtle hull.
But I still have a couple:cheers: tires cassings and antenna is a airreal wire.

I can't claim these terms, but many years ago I was in a local parts store when an older black gentleman walked in and proceeded to request a new "universical" joint for the "coupling pole" on his on his "Buurick" Deuce and a quarter (Electra 225).

OK...another one 8)

Leaning Tower of Power = Mopar /6

I was at work on day and my boss told me to go get a relay.:cheers:
So I went home and got one.:downtown::toothy10:

There is a guy in town that calls big aftermarket truck bumpers. (hog ramers)
Or I like to call skinny front tiers (pizza cutters)

"Six in a row makes her go"
three speed on the column = "three on the tree" or better yet "A 4 on the floor and a 5th under the seat"
"Quadra belch"
"slip and slide Powerglide"
"windmill" = turbocharger

More if I can remember toolmanmike

Open difs or not posi was called a "One Legger" or "Peg Leg"

Neutral Drop...

Revving and dropping it in D or L

... and the trunk the turtle....

I always thought it was called the "boot"...

Laying down rubber on the road was always "gittin scratch" or "peelin out".
Flooring the accelerator was "pedal to the metal", which brings up the whole CB radio lingo of the 80s.

Jerry

I hate quadra-jets, never run right.:munky2:

Actually I have one on my 318 4-speed Dart and it works well. I've had more trouble with the "thermocruds" or thermoquads and I used to build carbs of all kinds professionally.

"Got a mill with a 4 pot carb, ya know" (CW McCall, 4 wheel drive), or an Engine with a 4 barrel carb.
Peg leg, open rearend.
crashbox, non-synchronised manual transmission.
Banger-engine.
Boot-trunk
Bonnet-hood
4 pot leak, aka 4 barrel carb.
Diffy-differential.

How about these, not car parts but driving actions.

Drop and drag, or suicide start, aka neutral drop.
Joe Jammer Whip and Grip, or to accelerate stupidly while going around a corner, usually resulting in tire spin and fishtailing.

-
Back