The 2-step?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
My 68 Barracuda has had the entire front end rebuilt as well as LCA strengthening. Does anybody know what causes the little 2-step in the front suspension when you hit some bumps? If you know what I mean , is there a cure? Thanks.

Sounds like something is binding and then letting go during travel (suspension travel) What type of bushings did you use? Rubber or poly? If you put poly in the lower control arm bushing I would be looking there first and personaly would pull it back apart and put OEM in place, on the LCA that is. Poly is ok everywhere else IMPO.

Oddly enough the entire kit was polygraphite with the exception being the LCA bushings. They (PST) said they were having problems with the poly LCA bushings ,so they discontinued them and only offered rubber. I`ve experienced the same phenomena in a lot of Mopars and wondered if it`s something to do with torsion bars?

if that is so then there should be no problems there. i know after i had everything rebuilt on mine last year it was very stiff. after driving it over the summer it settled in and smoothed out alot. maybe you just need time to break it in some unless it is severe

so when you get into it the wheels stay as if they are in a resting position, or are they reaching down and kinda staying down until enough weight transfers back on them to make them settle back to a normal riding position. which is this correct? what engine is in it 340?

Yeah , when you get your foot in it good, she feels like she`s just barely touching the ground. If you hit any significant bumps the front end kinda` does a little jig or "2 -step". It also happens if you`re cruising fast and you hit a good pothole. The engine is a mildly built 440-6 with a 4spd. The car`s always done it, even with the 383 in it and I`ve had other Mopars that did it too. ?

Does the car have frame connectors ? Maybe its doing the twist ? :toothy7:

Hi John.
When I went to a little bigger front tire, I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a bit of bump steer.I guess the tires exagerated it. Also check your shocks. Are they 90-10's? Shocks are most likely your problem,which would make sense with your sensation of lifting the wheels......or you really built a dandy,thats pulling those fronts....

Swinger (Small).jpg

AdamR said:
Does the car have frame connectors ? Maybe its doing the twist ? :toothy7:

It was starting to do that (a small crack developed at the lower rear corner of the rocker just below the door. Since then I`ve had the frame lasered, squared, and frame connectors installed. Still the 2- step persists?

Hello Bill- I`m running a 215/70-15 on the front, which is larger than stock. I`ve heard that term "bump steer" before but I`m not familiar with it. Shocks are Monroe HD factory replacements. The car is quick but wheels coming off the ground is not even an issue, lol, (I can`t get the car to hook with as little as 12lbs. in the tires). Seems I`ve built a tire shredding machine. I`m working now to get more tire to the ground,changing as little as possible.-John

-
Back