the 41 Studebaker comes home today

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Should have pictures tonight. New education - 6v positive ground, flat strait 6, vacuum wipers oh boy !

So what are your plans for the old girl ?

Well we did get the motor running a couple months ago a little rough sounding but still had sludge for oil. I actually got another straight 6 and the original overdrive transmission with it too but still unsure of that condition after all these years. I have managed to get the seats all redone and the door cards are done front and back so as far as interior it just needs a headliner and carpet. I got a bunch of new flat glass for the side a few of them got broken out over the years. The car's been sitting inside the garage for at least 30 years. And also the brand new tires. But I'm not sure how the tires are going to fit in now as the main game plan is likely to put the 360 and a 9:04 in it with the eight and a quarter. Butt externally and internally I want to look like a 1941 Studebaker. I'll likely have to put new suspension under it also and make some Modern updates like Electric windshield wipers not vacuum operated LOL. I guess kind of restomod if you will but I don't really want the motor to be loud or souped up maybe just some very mild modifications, but nothing spendee. thank you for asking.....

I think your full of poop. lol you are going to build a gasser. you know you are

2.5 4cyl 5-speed from a Dakota. Carb and intake from a early 80's reliant :)

sure would look sweet with slicks, wheelie bars and 2 carbs.
come on man, do it !

sure would look sweet with slicks, wheelie bars and 2 carbs.
come on man, do it !

It was given to me by an old man who owned it since he was in college and would load up his lawn mower in the trunk and go mow Lawns for college money. of course he's well into his seventies now and I promised him I wouldn't do that. I will include a picture of him and I with Studebaker tools the day I picked it up. The funny thing is we actually use those tools finished putting the wheels on and such that day to put it on the trailer LOL. He wasn't real happy about Changing the drivetrain and suspension that said he wasn't violently opposed to it either. I would like to make a daily driver out of it. Really not to take the car shows just to travel cross-country in.
View attachment 20160417_124006.jpg

Just My humble opine...
Spend the time/$$$/research/labor, to put that score back to BONE stock.
& drive the wheels off it !!!
Again With respects Honored Posters,
Just My humble opine...

just make sure the car is safe and has enough power for the traffic flow.
it's gonna be a cool daily /weekend driver.

Just My humble opine...
Spend the time/$$$/research/labor, to put that score back to BONE stock.
& drive the wheels off it !!!
Again With respects Honored Posters,
Just My humble opine...

This is my quandary. I have the original motor in it and got it running again not so well because it was so full of sludge from sitting for so many years, or actually was running fine with a knock. with a 3-speed transmission three on the tree of course and it has a small pencil size stock rear end with these quilly shock things I've seen like on Wheeler Dealer on old cars. I would just really like to take this the carl from here in Oregon to Florida with my wife drive to New York or wherever as we retire and I would really like a nice reliable drivetrain that I could get parts for if I needed to. I even have the original 3-speed overdrive transmission which was a one-year only for that car and another rebuilt motor but of course it that was 30 years ago. that it was rebuilt so it would have to be taken apart again. I just don't know if I want this Old motor in there with the unavailability of any part and wanting to travel cross-country as I get older.

j par
Lol, again with Respects, an '41 Dodge Bros, Ford, or GM build I would not trust...
Just Me (let the flaming begin),
The resident new school engineers at Studebaker , in a heart beat!!!
Just My humble opine Sir,
I think it would be a shame to convert that score to an 350/350, LA/904, Windsor/C6
(to name just a few)variant !!!
Again , most humble apologies !!! I am not trying to spend Your Your money :)

j par
Lol, again with Respects, an '41 Dodge Bros, Ford, or GM build I would not trust...
Just Me (let the flaming begin),
The resident new school engineers at Studebaker , in a heart beat!!!
Just My humble opine Sir,
I think it would be a shame to convert that score to an 350/350, LA/904, Windsor/C6
(to name just a few)variant !!!
Again , most humble apologies !!! I am not trying to spend Your Your money :)
Oh no,I hope you didn't take me wrong? I really really would love to leave it and run it as it is. Again I do have all of the interior ReSown back to stock and stock colors. I have all the flat glass purchased also. I just really really want to drive it a lot and take it across country on trips as I get older and I'm nervous about the reliability of a motor that doesn't even come stock with an oil filter let alone if I had to get a fuel pump for a water pump for on a trip across the country. And I'm concerned about the suspension and comfortable for a long trip and safe for us as we get into our sixties and seventies. 360 very stock-ish/904/8 1/4.
everyone's enthusiasm and considerations are very welcome! I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to start working on it, but I'm not one to let dust collect. :D

I'd get it drivable as is and take the guy for a ride in his car.
He obviously loves the car to keep it that long.
Old cars are so simple to fix and very reliable just not fast. The best part
is short of belts and hoses every part is made to be rebuilt.
Nothing was disposable. You file the points in the voltage reg.
replace the diagram and check valves in the fuel pump.
You get the idea. They didn't throw away used parts like we do now.
Parts were rebuilt up till the 60s.
You will find yourself making gaskets from raw materials and honing
Master and wheel cylinders.

I'd get it drivable as is and take the guy for a ride in his car.
He obviously loves the car to keep it that long.
Old cars are so simple to fix and very reliable just not fast. The best part
is short of belts and hoses every part is made to be rebuilt.
Nothing was disposable. You file the points in the voltage reg.
replace the diagram and check valves in the fuel pump.
You get the idea. They didn't throw away used parts like we do now.
Parts were rebuilt up till the 60s.
You will find yourself making gaskets from raw materials and honing
Master and wheel cylinders.
Lol, we filed the points to get it running :D the real question here is do I want to be filing points and honing brake master cylinders all the way to Florida and back? LOL
At 65 years old on a hot summer day?
I will definitely be taking the old man and his wife for plenty of trips to Dairy Queen, and some Studebaker Club runs.

A car like that is something you just have to learn for yourself.
It easy to have an unrealistic perspective of an old car until you learn what it is.
They will surprise you if you take the time to clean and oil them up.
Cars were more reliable back then than most people realize because they haven't
been around them.
I have never had a small block mopar or 904 that was any more reliable than an old
flathead six or manual three speed. Quite the opposite.
Now if your concern was speed rather than durable your take is valid.
Don't short change the car thinking you will be under the hood every
few miles because it is old.
You can have those kind of problems but it would be from not repairing it proper.
Glad you got some DQ trips in mind for the old car and fella.

A car like that is something you just have to learn for yourself.
It easy to have an unrealistic perspective of an old car until you learn what it is.
They will surprise you if you take the time to clean and oil them up.
Cars were more reliable back then than most people realize because they haven't
been around them.
I have never had a small block mopar or 904 that was any more reliable than an old
flathead six or manual three speed. Quite the opposite.
Now if your concern was speed rather than durable your take is valid.
Don't short change the car thinking you will be under the hood every
few miles because it is old.
You can have those kind of problems but it would be from not repairing it proper.
Glad you got some DQ trips in mind for the old car and fella.
Agreed on the durability I mean that six-cylinder after we ran it for a while and I tried to change the oil nothing came out and then after a little while longer it actually pooped and I say pooped I mean turds oil oil started pooping out of it. it was the weirdest grossest thing ever seen and that motor ceeps running LOL. I've changed it a few times and it now just in the small amount we were in it trying to get it cleared out and it runs and I can get it started and keep it running on its own and idling. And just for conversation sake and completely not arguing here but realistically doing 65 or 70 in today's traffic on today's freeways and highways driving the car around the United States and further with the flat 6 motor and the three on the tree? Of course I don't plan on throwing any of that stuff away or making it impossible to put it all back in as you know anything these days is doable. Thank you and I'm heading ya. I'm have no desire to chop it up. I do want to keep as much original as possible. Very quiet, no funky rims, ect......

In bone stock condition, you can easily drive to NY and back. Lots of folks did back in the day. Heck, granddad did it in a 1925 Hupmobile with hard rubber tires (yes not pneumatic)!
With the original engine properly rebuilt and using the overdrive it will keep a decent 65 with no hurt. Plus, long term, it will retain its collector value.
Very nice body style in a 2 door yet!

That's really cool. It needs a blown and injected Hemi.

In bone stock condition, you can easily drive to NY and back. Lots of folks did back in the day. Heck, granddad did it in a 1925 Hupmobile with hard rubber tires (yes not pneumatic)!
With the original engine properly rebuilt and using the overdrive it will keep a decent 65 with no hurt. Plus, long term, it will retain its collector value.
Very nice body style in a 2 door yet!
Agreed it can be done - bone stock. The old man went back and forth to Montana several times in it "back in the day". He said when he needed parts there was always an old abandoned one in a field next to the road.
this is no longer "back in the day" I really appreciate your time, but I don't know if I want to travel to say "I did it"? That reminds me of when we had the Harley - we'd ride to the coast, eat lunch and say "lets get back home I'm beat". Now we ride the goldwing to the coast and say "lets ride a couple of hours down the coast" and then go home. Of course I'm not saying a junkyard motor and transmission, definitely very fresh drivetrain.

-
Back