The all might Viscous fan

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
So I have a Flex fan right now that I want to get rid of because of what I Have read about it, So the Question I have is, is there a difference between the Mopar Viscous Fan and a Thermal and NoN thermal clutch driven fan. I want all the HP I can free up While not spending a Ton.

I have Heard that the Mopar fan is the best, But I heard it used a Thermal clutch. Then I heard that the Non Thermal clutch, the one that runs like a torque converter is the performance clutch of the two. SO what is the best one that will do a good job of cooling and free up the most HP.

I went with the Viscouse fan. Every one I talked to and every thing I read, said it was the best.

I went from a 7 blade to the Mopar Performance kit. It cools a lot better. Even on the hot days the engine stays cool. I can make back to back runs at the strip with no problem.

The non thermal clutch has a constant slippage rate where the thermal clutch can vary the slipage rate based on the temp of the air comig through the radiator.

The thermal one should provide more power because it has more slipage when the air temp is lower where the non thermal has to be set up for worset case.

MoPar has there own viscous fan unit. It comes complete.
Another option is an electric fan.

I know about those options, but I dont think my charging system is up to an elec. fan. And the mopar one is my last choice. But I want to go with a clutch fan with a thermal clutch, but who sells them

O and I wanna thank you Rumble and Dgc333 becasue you guys help me alot. So thanks for all the help

I know about those options, but I dont think my charging system is up to an elec. fan. And the mopar one is my last choice. But I want to go with a clutch fan with a thermal clutch, but who sells them

I said above;
MoPar has there own viscous fan unit. It comes complete
You can order this through Jegs or Summit racing. Or your local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer should be able to do that.

On behalf of myself and DGC333, your welcome.
You know we just about live to help out here.

well the mopar one is like 130, but if I got a hayden thermal clutch and any fan wouldent that work the same?

No. But similar. If you peice togther the system from different parts, it's not the same part as the MoPar one. Unless you can garrantee the thermo clutch unit from Hyden is they same part as the MoPar part. Also, the fan blade design is different. The MP unit has 5 blades and is not evenly spaced.

Go to your local dealer and complian nicely and ask for a price break. Then also ask for a sticker to advertise for them free of charge. Just because they helped.

We had a PR guy get us a 10% over cost price break on all the MP parts. We simply put on the dealers stickers on our cars for there help. Free advertising for a price break. A handshake deal is all it took. Hunders of dealer stickers later......car meets and shows. A few on the track. There happy, were happy.

just found on on the online dealer for 103, ill show it to summit

HUH? what? You got it. Funny looking blade arrangment that works is what he is sayin.

Hey burnt, If you haven't already bought a new Mopar viscious fan, I've got one that I ran for about 1000 miles or so before switching to an electric fan. I had it on a 340 Dart and it cooled the engine fine. I didn't notice any performance gain when I switched to the electric fan. It's been hanging on the wall for a year or two. Pm me if interested I'll let it go cheap to a fellow member.
Bob

The the clutch fan in my car is a thermostatic unit that I got at the local parts store for about $40 and the fan was one I grabbed from the bone yard for a couple of bucks. It was from a GM product, I think it was a mid 80's Regal.

The hub the fan mounts to is pretty universal between Mopar , GM and Ford. If you go the bone yard route just make sure its not a reverse rotation unit.

Another advantage to the Mopar Viscious Fan is its light weight and does not put much strain on your water pump bushing.

-
Back