The best factory head that never was

-

Attachments

• forgotten_hemi.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 364
I'm thinking aluminum Hemi heads, like the DeSoto's, for an LA to take advantage of the cam position ( or eliminate the odd push rod angle). Could probably use a lot of port development but there's a ton of potential.

Or a 3.5L 4 valve head for the LA, it's got same bore spacing & head boot pattern. It's a pretty low profile for an overhead cam design too. So how does a 4 valve 5.9L sound?

The rare, finned aluminum valveless head.

edgyhead2.JPG

edgyhead1.JPG

that would be nice if it will fit a slant motor.but still its cool.what would be cooler is an over head cam hemi head!:cheers:thats what im talking about.......Artie

The 2.6L that was mentioned above, was an Overhead Cam Hemi.

They left a lot to be desired though, with a list of problems as thick as a phonebook. But if you addressed those problems and threw a couple dollars at one, it would flat out run.

- Cudavert.

That's an aftermarket Edgy Aluminum Head for a Mopar Flathead 6 (218, 230, etc). I've been drooling over one of those for my '48 Dodge for quite a while.

These could be fun.

Attachments

• w2bb1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 304
  • w2bb2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 317
Cudavert.

That's an aftermarket Edgy Aluminum Head for a Mopar Flathead 6 (218, 230, etc). I've been drooling over one of those for my '48 Dodge for quite a while.

I just found out about this Edgy stuff.....I've got a '52 Plymouth Belvedere that would just love to have 1 too! But first I want to get a set of Langdon's cast iron split headers for it. Ooooohhhhh....

3283517.jpg

Specifically the j head intake port, 974 non drilled exh port, in two versions...one open and one closed.

I love the 308 exh port too, just its cast really thin and tight between the roof/guide and floor.
If the 318 exhaust port was cast into a 360 exh port in such a way that you could literally grind it to be as big as a 360 exh port 'not that you'd need to open it up that big' damn...that would be the ticket, plenty of exh floor without the roof pinching it off.

Fyi to those who don't know, the intake short turn of an x head has a longer plain, more of a flat peak

The one thing I don't like about the 308 exh port is that its always turbulent or noisy on the bench. I get great flow numbers out of it, but often wonder if its really working well on the motor ????? Years ago I tried opening up a set of 308 exh ports to gasket size. While the ports quieted down the flow took a 20 cfm hit 205 peak to 185. Would love to dyno test a 450-500 HP range motor with these heads done both ways.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=184523

Also, this jogged my mammar; remember this 'un...? I remember seeing a set of these badges in the junk yard several years ago.

Wow, this brings back some really really fun memories.

qsqi.jpg

Suddenly it's 2003 again and I'm 17, I've just bought my first car for chickenfeed, it's a japanese mitsubishi coupe, 2.6 litre four cylinder and rwd

A 1981 model Faded beige paint, cracked brown vinyl interior and light-tan corduroy seats....but it's older than anything my friends have got and loosely related to mopar and therefore cooler in my eyes.

"but it's got a hemi head" I would say. My friends are all poking fun and giggling because they have apparently superior GM 3.8L V6 family sedans and other such mundane things, many of which belonged to their parents while my car is obviously suffereing from typical 80's emission-friendly-carburetor problems.

So one weekend I decide I've had enough jokes about "milk and juice" or the cooking of rice.

I bring home late model (1992) big port/high quench cylinder head from pick-a-part (aussie u-pull-it), along with a new custom mild camshaft that I thought was gonna be huge at the time.

I also "borrowed" a 2bbl carter from one of my dad's spare slant six motors.

The following Friday night, there were some traffic light antics and I think I can honestly say more than most of my friends were made to eat their words and the rest were very hesitant to say much at all.

Was a pretty nice feeling.

The 2.6L that was mentioned above, was an Overhead Cam Hemi.

They left a lot to be desired though, with a list of problems as thick as a phonebook. But if you addressed those problems and threw a couple dollars at one, it would flat out run.

We were a little luckier in Australia, Over here they kept developing the cylinder heads up until the end of their production run in 1994. we also had multi-point injection from about 1984 onwards, when retro-fitting the late model parts onto an early rwd short motor it really wakes it up.

It's a very well kept secret, in my opinion.

My little car above would rev clean to 7000 RPM and keep up with a lot of factory turbo and v8 cars from a dig to about 80mph.

That being said, eventually it did just spin a big end....in it's defense it did have 240,000km on the clock.

Back-in-the-Day,

The 1963 '413' - 300-J Cylinder Head was most desired for the 383's.

Casting #2402557
Intake...... 2.08"
Exhaust.... 1.74"
Chamber...73.5 CC

One of those heads,had a taller exhaust short side(big block),was referred as the" CHP head". About 67/68 .Ring any bells,69Cuda440?.

One of those heads,had a taller exhaust short side(big block),was referred as the" CHP head". About 67/68 .Ring any bells,69Cuda440?.

That 'CHP' has my head spinning...........:compress:

My father told me everyone was seeking out the 1963 300-J Heads from
1964 thru 1967, to convert their 1962 383/325 HP Mopars to the
383/343 HP Dual-Quad combination.

Those Cylinder Heads became pretty scarce by late-1967.

Thanks,figured it was a earlier head. CHP,probably was some bench racing folklore. It DID indeed have a taller exh short side,than a 906/452 .

-
Back