The budget cylinder head boogie

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
Small blocks use a positive seal on the intake valve and a umbrella seal on the exhaust valve.
I was wondering if anyone has used the positive seals on the exhaust valves?
I used positive seals on my 360 after cutting the guides with no problems.

On my 318 that i just bought, i was thinking of cutting the heads for more compression ,bowl blending them and lapping the valves in.
I will clean the heads and check them for cracks.
The valve guides are most likely a little worn but still serviceable.

I was thinking of running all positive viton valve seals on the heads for better OIL CONTROL.

Has anyone hear done this and how has it worked out for you????

THE BUDGET CYLINDER HEAD BOOGIE :-\"

Well I run positive seals on my W5s, not exactly budget though. I don't see anything wrong with it but I don't think it's really necessary. There is no vacuum in the exhaust port so it won't suck oil.

My engine does smoke when started though but it's 10 years old with really light tension oil rings. It needs freshening.

It's a 1987 truck or van 318 with a 302 casting.
It was in the duster my buddy bought from this guy
The guy he bought the duster from,blew up his 340 and installed this 318 in place of it.
The .474 cam and lifters ,plus the double roller timing chain where put in this stock 318.
Being 23 years old, it's been around the block and back ,and i really don't know how many miles are on the engine.
It ran great in the duster when i went for a ride.
He was told it went 13.20's with the 318.:scratch:
I think maybe somehow he is confused between what the 340 did in the quarter and what the 318 did.
It's possible ,but most likely a fish story so he could sell the duster to my buddy.
He built a new 340 for his duster and now i have a new 318 to mess with.

When i take the heads off the engine ,i will check the cylinders out and go from there.
I hope the heads check out for cracks and i hope the guides are still good.
If the guides are good i will most likely run regular umbrella seals, but i have always thought about using the stock positive seals on the exhaust valves because that"s how most hi performance heads are run.:-D

Mos tperformance heads run them on both intake and exh... Because that's the way the guides get cut. It means nothing really ont he exh as there is no suction pulling in oil like what is on the intake guide. For years when i was younger I'd give the valves a back cut, lap them, and stick springs on them and call it a day. They'd work for a while. It;s just to get faster you end up having to remove those little power robbers.

-
Back