The car that started it all?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
How many of you were hooked into cars by a certain car? Something that just "lit the fire" in you, so to speak, and led to your interest in automobiles? For instance, an encounter with a car, a parents car, tv commercial, whatever. What was it for you?

For me, it was my Dad's 1972 Buick Skylark Custom. It was kind of like the luxury GS, black on black, bench with fold down armrest, 350 4-bbl/auto, I'm guessing something like 3.08 gears. He would always let my brother and I watch out the back window while tire smoke poured from the wheelwells. I remember the quadrajet always sounded like it was going to suck the hood in. Lots of little street races, and it is really the first car that I drove, going up and down the driveway when I was 14-15 practicing. He still has it, its all torn apart, hasn't been started in years. I would like to get him back on it.

Whats your story?

The car that caught my attention was an assostaant store manager's 64 Sport Fury. He let me drive it home to change clothes from unloading a trailer load of antifreeze. It was most likely a 383 but wa a 4 speed car. It really impressed me. Fast, geeze was it fast!

Sent from my I phone

My uncle had a '70 Plymouth Sportwagon. He went to the airport, parked it, and went out of town. came back a week later, went to the lot listed on the parking ticket... car was gone. Waited 3 weeks, figured they'll never find that car, and bought a new one. Insurance would pay off after 30 days. On the 29th day, they found the car... right where he had parked it.??? WTF???
Apparently, the parking people put the wrong roll of tickets in the machine, designating the wrong parking structure. The car sat there for 29 days...
My dad ended up with it. I learned to drive in that beast... 383 4 Barrel, yellow with would grain contact paper down the sides, rear facing 3rd seat, roof rack, combination swinging door/tailgate at the back, dual exhaust, upside down air cleaner cover... THAT'S WHAT 'AM TALKIN' 'BOUT... The only bad thing i remember is that the tires in those days didn't last very long... well the right rear anyway.

Another 64 Plymouth. Not my first car but still my fav'. It was a Savoy busuness coupe, 2dr sedan, 3 on the tree /6, no radio, and that light Sky Blue color. When it went to Mopar Heaven it was a sharp met' medium blue, slotted chrome wheels, built up springs & turned up tor' bars, factory AM/FM from a Dodge, 3.55 rear end, the /6 was slightly built, and it had three class winner stickers in the rear window. I loved to dust 283 Powerglides and made sure they knew it was by a 6. I did however have to turn down drag offers from 396 Chevelles and 442's. Roomy back seat but that's for another forum.

the car that got me started on mopar was my dads 71 dart swinger 2dr hardtop we had it when i was 5 it was lime time green green interior with buckets had a 360 all cam'd out big radical motor the car was sweet he would take me to school in it and smoke the tires coming out of the school lol i just loved that. id sit in it and pretend to drive it was just an awsome car my dad sold it for 3500 when we moved the worst mistake he ever made that car was sweet.

this one. She may be rough, she needs going completely through, but this is my '69 Sport Satellite 4 door 383 4bbl I've had since I was 16. It was the family car for the first year. Pop gave $300 and a blown 454 for it.

poor Satellite 2.JPG

A 1968 Dodge Monaco 383 dark blue bucket sets and would scream
My first Mopar at the age of 15 year old :love7:
It sat in Ill. for a year so I could leave to work with my family and got back and she fired right up after setting next to my uncles barn all through winter and spring :cheers:

i actually have 2 cars. it was my dads 64 plymouth sport fury- same deal used to stop and run the 1/4 in the flats everytime we went out in it . tires frying and he would let put my hand on the shifter when he shifted. the other was mom and dad had a 78 plymouth volare station wagon, kinda rootbeer colored with wood grain. but the fun part was it had a 273 power pak intake and carb on the 318 backed with the infamous a833 overdrive 4spd. man that was a grocery getter. he had a 2 1/2 in single exhaust with a turbo muffler. car ran really strong. it out ran many 70-72 style novas with small blocks. car sent a lot of people home upset on the weekend street racing. dad still has the sport fury. had it about 30 years now.

Mine was when I was about 12, me and my brother and my best friend used to live in an area in Salem Mass that had a lot of apartment buildings and there was a grassy field between two houses where there sat 3 abondoned cars. A 63 Chrysler New Yorker 4 Dr, 1962 Chevrolet Impala, and an early 60's sunbeam. We used to play in these cars pretending to be driving for hours on end and I always likes the 63 Chrysler's interior styling. Loved to play around in that car. I was a mopar kid at that point. My Mom always had Chebbie wagons with all of us kids (7) I am the 2nd oldest.

For me it was a 67 Fury III with a 3 in the tree 318 and Burnt orange. My dad bought it new and couldn't drive a clutch very well so he would do a burn out every time he started off for the first couple of months. He was a slow learner.:burnout:

my dad normaly left rubber up the road after he droped me and my brother off after a sunday visit mom and dad were splitt up.did not mater which car he had. one was a corvett 350 power chevy van, flat nose 3 on the tree. our new neighbor at 13 teen or so had a 69 fairlane 390 4 speed car. his wife would come running out of the house screeming at him to stop smoke the tires up the road. he was going to teach us bad stuff. this was after a day of beers for them. ha ha.his brother had a 70 chevell 454 auto. was first person to pull the 10.00 taped to the dash , grab it if you can and you can have it never got it. we had a baseball coach that had a 70s chellvell that power slid in all the time. als

Bobby Belong,Mason City Iowa,69 Road Runner,Hemi,Nuckel busting 4spd Pistol Grip.140mph +,corn on each side of the road. WoW !!!!!!!!!!!

I was hooked.

neighbor had a beautiful 67 Chevelle with a well built 454 and a stick. first ride i got in it i must have only been 5 or so. just remember getting planted in the seat up until he backed off......

The car that really got me going was our neighbors 1960 Buick Electra.....

http://www.the1960buick.com/

Mr. Moulder would back out of the driveway, put it in drive and nail it. It was neat (at the age of 10)to see that thing torque up on the suspension, light the tires and fly up the street.
Remember, my dad had just bought a 1962 Studebaker Lark with a 6 cyl., 3 on the tree with overdrive, so that Buick was in a different world.

And he had a hot and petite wife.

my friends 71 dart swinger,plum crazy,white int.,318,auto,3.55 gears.in hind site it was pretty mild(300hp or so)but at the time it seemed impressive.i was hooked the first time he floored it .

my uncles 70 rr had to get me into it , a 70 vitamin c with black hood stripes, a black vinyl roof with a 383 727 8.75... i first drove it when i was 12, just backed it down the drive. when i was 13 he let me do a burnout in his garage with it, and since then i was hooked...

l_b5ce2ab0e2524152a102b74f51a6c4da.jpg

l_bc925299de3a45fea1be05269732809e.jpg

l_f6136f2309d040b1ae9bce1f495579c6.jpg

Dad had a new 442 in 68 with a 400 and a 4 speed 4.11 rear. My dad loved to burn rubber and all the neighborhood kids nicknamed me 442. that car was bad *** for a factory car. But I got to admit some 68 340 Darts kicked his butt a few times. those suckers were fast too. I was 9 and very impressionable.n i still like 442,s and w30,s

From what Mom and dad say My first word's were "Car Car" the rest is history, I still drive and like what mom and dad drove and liked :cheers:

Daredevil, thats funny you say that about the oldsmobiles. My dad had a friend that had a 68' Dart 340/4spd, and another that had an Olds, what were the high-performance 350's, a w-30? Anyway, it was a post car, with a 4-spd also. He said they would always race at lunchtime at work, and it was dead-even every time.

Do stories count? No one in my family has ever had a sports car while i've been alive. However, my dad would tell stories about his old mustang/duster that he use to race around town with. As well as the 74 454 corvette that a friend let him drive around town

He was huge into cars when he was young and did a decent job of getting me hooked into cars.

My sister's first husband had a 67 SS 396 Chevelle, maroon with black vinyl top. I was nine when he bought that, and I've been hooked ever since.

My first car was a 71 Challenger, followed by a 69 Charger that I owned well past my high school years.

Dartordemon, stories do count! If you remember them, then they had to have had some kind of impact on you. Its so interesting to me to hear these stories!

My dads 383 4 speed 68 Roadrunner. We owned it for ten years or so. It replaced my dads 68 383 gts 4 speed. I found it recently and the owner and I have become good friends and I get to do the resto work on it and cruise in it on occasion.

DSC03152.jpg

DSC03149.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

funny how often times people will venture from hot rods to insanely fast street bikes. seemed like a natural thing for me, able to scare your self silly and still get 35-40 mpg. had a buddy that had the first generation suzuki gsxr 1000. he had vance and hines build the motor, it made 170 hp at the flywheel. i was the only person to ever hit the rev limiter in top gear on the thing. fast forward several years and i had a stock 02 gsxr 1000. had it bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th several times. used to wheelie all the way down the on ramp to and from work with it, with no help from me except for holding the throttle on.....

zuki.jpg

-
Back