The car that started it all?

-
This is the one that did it for me! 1973

1001sr_25_z+50th_indianapolis_world_of_wheels+1955_chevy_gasser.jpg

I always grew up around mopars in various states of disrepair- but the first car that lit the car bomb was my GRANDMA's hotrod 55 Chevy 350\4sp. It was a running, driving vehicle I could ride in, unlike dad's challenger and cuda enduro cars (what a waste!)

I spent much of my youth (at least the good parts that I remember) going on roadtrips to car shows in the 80/90s while I was in grade school. Grandma has a lead foot and I thought that was the best car in the world.

Looking back (and actually she still has the car) the car was barely together, but I didnt care, it was the coolest car in the world as far as I was concerned.

My first dream mopar, when I was 10 or so and frequenting shows was the e body sublime 'cuda cars. Since those are out of budget I am building an a body bcuda I received as a 15th birthday present (now 31) from my dad.

I think I was born with gears in my head instead of brains. I had an Uncle who ran local dirt tracks. Mom told me when I was about a year old they'd take me to the track, Mom would cover my ears because of the racket. She said my eyes would get big and I'd go to looking around and kicking every time they came down the front straight....

My nearest neighbor was about 3 miles away, kid named David. If it had wheels on it we raced it. From toys to wagons to bicycles, to go carts, motorcycles and then cars. I was usually drawing cars in elementary school instead of paying attention to the teacher.

My first vehicle was a '62 Ford pickup with an old 272 and a granny gear 4spd. I was 12 years old at the time, {1975} me and Dad swapped on a 4bbl carb/intake from a 312, put some duals with "Smitty's" under it. He took me to NAPA in Monahans and let me pick any color paint I wanted. I picked Dark Burnt Orange Stardust. He rounded up some used chrome reverse wheels from someplace and we bolted them on.

Pretty cool ride for a kid, and since we lived in the sticks I got to drive it all over the place sans driver's license, including to school. Those were indeed the good old days.

My Polara convertable and the my R/T 1973

Attachments

• spoiler pics 614.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 91
  • scan0015[1].jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 98
"A green 1960 Valiant station wagon similar to the one pictured (but the lighter, really yukky hospital green color). A friend of my father's sold it to me in 1965 when I was 18 for $100 with 100K miles on it, and I drove it another 100K. What a great car. I wish I had never sold it."

On second thought, maybe it was my Dad's 1951 Dodge Coronet.

Or maybe his 1956 Plymouth Savoy.

Or it could have been my older brother's first car, a 1947 Plymouth that ran perfectly.

Attachments

• coronet.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Savoy.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 47 Plymouth.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 90
1988 Ford Tempo.

Back in the '20's, mom n dad would drag race it. Learned to drive it when I was 6.

Flux-capacitor-schematic.jpg

Mine would be my dads 1972 Chevy Chevelle SS. Custom blue paint with Dark Blue stripes. My dad was worried that my older brother would take it and go drag racing so he sold this beautiful car for 2,000 to some kid. Next day cops arive at my dads house ready to arrest my step mother because her name was on the vehicle. Police told her that is was involved in a hit and run the day prior. So the story is not a few hours after this kid got into the Chevelle and crashed it and left it were it was at. Sad Day!!!!

my grandma had a '78 aspen wagon. I used to think the car would be mine someday, but good old NY road salt helped the frame disappear ! ... Then one of my friends dad bought a '70 340/4 spd, bench seat, top banana swinger, it was over after that. that was the car a had to have ... Took me a long time but I have one now, same exact car except sublime. He used to drive the wheels off that car !

My dad was the manager of a Pattern shop in Detroit in the 60's. His company car was a 65 Barracuda Formula S, 4 on the floor. Loved hearing that car start up every day. Mom didn't mind the noise but she wasn't a big fan driving it. She could handle it ok but she would have preferred an automatic, she hated the clutch on that car. I was 9 at the time and the coolest moment was when we went out to pick up a pizza one night. We're at a light and a guy in a 57 Chevy pulls up egging my dad on to race. Needless to say my dad wasn't going to back down and when we made it to the next light we had him by a car and a half. The Chevy guy decided he did not to go another round and turned around at the light. It was an awesome experience for a 9 year old and that sold me on Mopar.

-
Back