The church bells rang

-

norshorblufish

By the Big Water
Reaction score
29 times for the men of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

6A776CB6-29DE-4E9C-9F2F-37D092169713.jpeg

My wife and I went to Whitefish Point Michigan early October to the shipwreck museum it a humbling experience.
The bell above is the ships bell they brought up from the wreck and replaced with one with the names of the 29 men who parishes.
Hard to believe it’s been 47 years!

View attachment 1716008910
My wife and I went to Whitefish Point Michigan early October to the shipwreck museum it a humbling experience.
The bell above is the ships bell they brought up from the wreck and replaced with one with the names of the 29 men who parishes.
Our local AM radio station in the desert homeland was strictly C&W but would play Gordon Lightfoot's tribute when I requested it with a phone call. :) After about 5 or 6 requests the DJ just added it to his play list. :)

I was hoping someone would post. Thank you!!

We've been to Whitefish point... and I love Superior!

View attachment 1716008910
I've never heard of it until now.

Somehow, I knew what this thread would be about, even before I clicked on it. RIP.
(There are stories of other ore carriers that have gone down too, on you tube)
And Lightfoots' song is a classic!

It definitely is quite a humbling experience when one is there, there are a couple hundred more shipwrecks all along that area.

I remember that song when it was new, just released.
Back then i didn't realize what it was about.
Listening to it on the Armed Forces Network radio network while serving in Germany with the Air Force.
Gordon Lightfoot sang it well.

Today the big lake is showing it's fury winds are ENE at 24mph gusting to 45. It seems higher.
Wife and I had to drive up along the shore to Two Harbor, MN this morning, the wave were rolling pretty good. I would have gotten some pics but it was pouring rain.
As we were driving Gordon Lightfoot's song came on the radio it was kind of eerie seeing the lake all riled like that.

It brought back memories of that night driving 20 miles home from vocational school in the middle of a snow storm. I could hardly see 15 feet ahead of me. My old 69 Chevy 3/4 ton two wheel drive 4 on the floor got me home safe though. That was quite the ride.

@norshorblufish Thanks for posting the picture of the bell. I have loved the song since the first time hearing it. I can't help but think of the men and say a prayer for the families every time I hear it.

Thanks for posting. May all 29 rest in peace.
Gordon Lightfoot is one of my favorites...outstanding 'story' songs.

That’s still a big deal especially in Duluth. I just seen a video of a car that was left behind at the dock that belonged to one of the crew, Bruce Hudson...it was a new Dodge Challenger, all loaded up and ready for a long road trip to CA with another crew member once they returned from the voyage...kinda of a sad story but I’ll let you watch it

FFBAE96C-8EFF-4DFA-9C21-840D773C49F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Today the big lake is showing it's fury winds are ENE at 24mph gusting to 45. It seems higher.
Wife and I had to drive up along the shore to Two Harbor, MN this morning, the wave were rolling pretty good. I would have gotten some pics but it was pouring rain.
As we were driving Gordon Lightfoot's song came on the radio it was kind of eerie seeing the lake all riled like that.

It brought back memories of that night driving 20 miles home from vocational school in the middle of a snow storm. I could hardly see 15 feet ahead of me. My old 69 Chevy 3/4 ton two wheel drive 4 on the floor got me home safe though. That was quite the ride.
We have a nice collection of colorful rocks from Superior. When we were at Superior in July (Grand Marias), the wind was incredible.

-
Back