The day I bought my Dodge Magnum

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
I was actually looking for a 360 and went over to a buddy's house and bought a '78 Magnum with the infamous "Lean Burn" 360. It came with no title and I didn't care. I swapped a tag onto it and drove it home. So the inside was pretty nice but it had serious rot in the quarters. I decided we needed a baseline for this motor and took it to the dragstrip. I did a massive burnout then staged the car. When it launched (with what must have been around a 2.90 gear), it dropped most of the trunk floor on the starting line in big rusty chunks. I didn't know this because 'What is behind you, is not important" and the rear view mirror was missing. I got my timeslip and it read a stunning 18.20 @ 79mph. When I went back to the pits my buddy ran up with his eyes all bugged out yelling, "Get out the gate! You dumped crap all over the starting line and they are looking for you!" So we went home.

Next day after I finished a 44 ounce big gulp that was half Coke/half Jack Daniels I took my shirtless self out to the driveway. I fired up the Magnum, out the throttle to the floor, and commenced to neutral drop it. >BANG!< into first, then >BANG!< into reverse. My buddy is waving his arms as smoke is pouring off the tires and I am all over the driveway, digging up the lawn, then back onto the driveway. Pretty soon white smoke starts pouring out of the bellhousing and the tranny makes some death noises and she is all done. I believe it WAS an A999 trans. There are pics of this somewhere as he had ran an got the camera to document my "Hey watch this!" moment. We let the car cool down for a couple hours, and give me time to sober up. And the the car refired and trans worked again. We pulled it into the carport and pulled the engine. The flexplate bolts had almost ripped off the crank!

Next day after I finished a 44 ounce big gulp that was half Coke/half Jack Daniels I took my shirtless self out to the driveway. I fired up the Magnum, out the throttle to the floor, and commenced to neutral drop it. >BANG!< into first, then >BANG!< into reverse. My buddy is waving his arms as smoke is pouring off the tires and I am all over the driveway, digging up the lawn, then back onto the driveway. Pretty soon white smoke starts pouring out
musta thought you was Richard Petty or sumtin... :poke:

LOL! Yea, I got one of those cars, a '79.
There bad with rust. The cabin seals up to well. I bet your floors are shot out.

I know that car pretty well. Drop me a PM if you need some help. I also have the factory service manuals.

-
Back