The Day My Wife Did a Burnout Right in Front of a Cop

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
Many years ago (in 1969), my girlfriend (now my wife of 50 years) and I were cruising in my 69 Barracuda 340 Formula S. She wanted to drive, but she did not know how to drive a stick. So, I took her to a deserted area and taught her. She did really well, so I decided to let her drive home. We came to the intersection of two main 4 lane streets and had to stop. We were at the front, and several cars were stopped behind us. Unfortunately, the direction we were going was uphill. I told her to take her foot off the brake and quickly give it gas and release the clutch so as not to roll back too far. She killed it twice with not enough gas. People were honking. I said give it more gas this time. She did! She floored the gas and dumped the clutch. She burned the tires all the way across the intersection. Funny thing is that there was a cop car just across the street. He watched the whole thing. I just waved at him, and he waved back. You could see him laughing.

That's hilarious. Kitty is the same way. All or nothing. lol

I remember one day out in El Cajon, near San Diego in the early 70's, and I had the 70 440-6 RR then. Pulled up on the right of a 69RR and I guess the girlfriend had the car. The light turned green and she took off like she was Big Daddy's daughter. I don't remember why, maybe unfamiliarity with the "hood" but I kinda held back. Sure 'nough, a cop was hiding a couple blocks down the street and pulled her over!!

Probly a better story was same time period, a friend had his car apart, and for reasons I don't understand, had some of his uniforms cleaned in downtown San Diego. This is a LONG ways from NAS Miramar, where we were both stationed, so I don't know why. He talked me into running him down there and picking up his stuff. We were "right downtown." a place I did not inhabit much. There was a two lane, one-way cross street pulled up to the sign and this guy in a Nova was screwin around. One of the FEW times I did this---lit that 70 up and burned 'em clear across that intersection, you could not even SEE that Nova back there. And then................

From out of an alley up ahead, slowly, comes a push bumper............white 69 Ford...........

I just pulled over. He comes up there and yells "Give me your driver's license!!". Takes one look at the Idaho license, and yells, "You in the Navy??!! GIVE ME your ID CARD!!!!"

So, he's back there for about a year, and my buddy Frankie finally says, "Jesus, go back there and see if you can talk him out of SOME of it!!"

So I get out and go up to his door. Tough lookin old bird, probly close to retirement. He ignores me, he's got a clipboard on the wheel and writing a bunch down I guess off the radio. Finally he looks at me, shoves my IDs back at me and says something like "I know you like to show off for the girls but see if you can keep the smoke down!!!"

I JUST ABOUT ****!!!!!

Had a 70 340 Duster 727 suregrip
It was a hot day and I let my wife drive it for the first time. We were sitting at the lights and a taxi pulled up beside us. The light turned green and taxi drove off and being hot the tires squealed so my wife jambed it to the floor and smoked it across the intersection. Both surprised her and me as well. Needless to say she didn't drive it very often after that.

We were getting the kinds ready for school the other day and I asked her what car we should take

She said "our fastest one"

Cool, that's my duster

She looks out at the snow and says...not in this weather

(And to be perfectly honest, I doubt my duster would keep up with her charger even if I could get traction)

-
Back