The Dodge Dart GTS 440 Was So Dangerous It Made A Corvair Look Like A Volvo

-
12.7 @112 mph with a sticky tire. Imagine if headers were added.

The Dart pictured in this article is the same one that is currently listed for sale on "Bring A Trailer".
@Veryfastdart brought that sale to our attention earlier today.
Hope the Corvair comparison helps the sale...
Small world of M Code Darts.
1969 Dodge Dart GTS 440

So they built the car specifically for a quarter of a mile at a time, not to put the family into for a cross country trip. Hemi Dart lite. How many cars were doing 12.7 with just a set of slicks in 1969?

Click bait gibberish.

There are other 1968 magazine test drives that like the brakes.

Author is just reciting and regurgitating bits from 50 year old articles and stealing pictures from BAT. Then adding a few hyperbole’s to catch your attention. The author gives no hint that he has ever driven such a car.

Probably took him 30-45 minutes to write. He bills out 2 hours. And now has $40 in his pocket.

Last edited:
Click bait gibberish.

There are other 1968 magazine test drives that like the brakes.

Author is just reciting and regurgitating article and stealing pictures form BAT. Then adding hyperbole to catch your attention. The author gives no hint that he has ever driven such a car.
Those Kelsey Hayes brakes stop purdy dang good as long as they're in good shape.

Most people in TODAY'S modern cars can't drive them, even with all the "SAFETY" gizmos, they still wreck them. If you drive like an idiot, these things will happen. I'll take one of those 440 Darts. Any 67-69 Dart will work, thank you.

I really doubt the fact that a 440 Dart could go 12.7 @ 112. The best that my M-Code ‘cuda could do is 12.64 and I had a 10” converter, 2” headers, pocket ported heads, 284/484 Mopar Performance cam and 275x15R drag radials. The only thing was that it was 95 degrees out and humid although I only put one pass on the car that day and have little or no experience at drag racing.

I didn't read the article because I know it would be some talking head that didn't have a clue. I bought my 67 GTS with the 383 and raced everything around here and at 78,000 miles with in still running strong I swapped the 440 out of my 48 Willys and put the 383 in the Jeep. I now have a 499" stroker and have never had a handling problem. Now if someone the was not familiar with it got in it they may lose it but I know how it reacts. Joe

Made you click !
_ and you wouldn't believe what this celebrity looks like now !

I didn't read the article because I know it would be some talking head that didn't have a clue. I bought my 67 GTS with the 383 and raced everything around here and at 78,000 miles with in still running strong I swapped the 440 out of my 48 Willys and put the 383 in the Jeep. I now have a 499" stroker and have never had a handling problem. Now if someone the was not familiar with it got in it they may lose it but I know how it reacts. Joe
I agree about the handling now with the tires that are available but they probably were a handful with stock rubber. My M-code ‘cuda handled great but it had 235-60-15’s on the front and 275-60-15’s on the back.

i don't know..Jay Leno says his 67 Hemi Coronet is unsafe handling and braking.Hell, a lot of 340 cars ended up wrapped around telephone poles because they would understeer right off the highway, and i have driven many manual drum brake cars...even the first hard stop was stab and try to steer.The disc cars were not bad...but not great .
Didn't all M code darts come with manual drum brakes?

i don't know..Jay Leno says his 67 Hemi Coronet is unsafe handling and braking.Hell, a lot of 340 cars ended up wrapped around telephone poles because they would understeer right off the highway, and i have driven many manual drum brake cars...even the first hard stop was stab and try to steer.The disc cars were not bad...but not great .
Didn't all M code darts come with manual drum brakes?
That is correct, all M-code A-bodies had manual 10” drum brakes.

Braking and handling wasn't bad in normal conditions, although parallel parking was definitely a workout. Having put over 30,000 miles on an original m-code Cuda wearing 14" Radial T/As, daily driven on the streets and highways of Vancouver, it wasn't the best in the snow, but the few times I got caught in it, I passed many newer cars abandoned on the side of the road on the way home.
The one time I would have to agree with the lack of braking prowess was on an evening run down the Barnett Hwy into Port Moody in the early 90s. I met up with a new hopped up 5.0l, and we pulled each other a number of times from 40mph. Rounding the hill we were both surprised to see traffic backed up a half mile from the intersection and both hit the binders hard. As I slid into his lane, he also slid, fortunately away from me. Then like a synchronized swimming Duo, we both slid back the other way before getting stopped maybe twenty feet from the back of the stopped pack. We looked at each other, smiled a nervous we survived grin to each other, and continued on. The only difference I could see was he had brakes after that, whereas I pulled onto the shoulders as I had none. With the steel wheels, it took a while before I wanted to get up to highway speeds.

You guys need to stop clicking on those "recommended" articles when you open your phone or web browser lol.

Also I recommend NOT using goohole and go with a "safe" search engine that doesn't track your stuff like DuckDuckGo. That's why you see dumb clickbait articles like this; goohole tracks your searches and visited web pages then feeds you whatever other garbage it finds on the web with the same keywords.

-
Back