The end is near...

-
And take into consideration the technical differences between the 2 eras and it's quite easy to see the original era muscle cars were quite impressive and quite simplistic and basic as to how they should be.
You're missing one key aspect, PW ratio. newer cars weigh a half a ton more.

Road Test magazine got 14.56 and 14.68, with an auto car.

RT0471Demon340P3.jpeg

One thing to consider, they didn't have the same timing systems for accurate results in the 70's. If Jim Bob hit the timer a little bit late, the car looks quicker. Just like my GPS drag timer said my 4300lb car with an RV 440 ran a 12.12 quarter mile time. Sure wish it did.

You're missing one key aspect, PW ratio. newer cars weigh a half a ton more.
Hey that's what these modern car lovers want.......LOL.......power everything, heated and cooled seats, airbag systems, etc........you know what they say.......when you pray for rain you got to deal with the mud too, LOL

I was just confirming a suspicion that the Gen 3 N/A platform in a modern production car doesn't walk all over the muscle cars from yesteryear.

I like how you "picked" the last year before the 6.4 hit the scene. Might be a bit more realistic to use at least a 2011, or even better a 2015 when the A8 was added. Much more of them running around and faster than anything on your list without even jumping up to the Hellcats.

2015 Dodge Challenger 0-60 Times and Quarter Mile

BTW, I suspect the listings in the above link aren't completely accurate as they all say 6 speed while I bet the numbers are for the A8.

View attachment 1716005948

One thing to consider, they didn't have the same timing systems for accurate results in the 70's. If Jim Bob hit the timer a little bit late, the car looks quicker. Just like my GPS drag timer said my 4300lb car with an RV 440 ran a 12.12 quarter mile time. Sure wish it did.
I prefer not to try and pick the fly **** out of a pile of pepper, LOL, I think I made my point sufficient enough

I like how you "picked" the last year before the 6.4 hit the scene. Might be a bit more realistic to use at least a 2011, or even better a 2015 when the A8 was added. Much more of them running around and faster than anything on your list without even jumping up to the Hellcats.

2015 Dodge Challenger 0-60 Times and Quarter Mile

BTW, I suspect the listings in the above link aren't completely accurate as they all say 6 speed while I bet the numbers are for the A8.
LOL......the little 340 was already giving up 10 cubic inches and you still aren't satisfied?

I prefer not to try and pick the fly **** out of a pile of pepper, LOL, I think I made my point sufficient enough

I think all you did was pick your facts judiciously and try and make them fit what you wanted them to fit.

LOL......the little 340 was already giving up 10 cubic inches and you still aren't satisfied?

And the little 5.7 only adds 5 cubes and 800+ pounds and still runs faster. 13.7@102

I don't honestly know as I don't have interest in the modern HEMI but what does a conventional non power adder Challenger or Charger run in the 1/4 compared to lets say a 71 Duster 340 4 speed ? I mean do they really blow the old platform away? Hmmmmm I may need to investigate that

Yeah, because comparing a 4,000+ lb cars times to a 3,000+ lb cars times makes perfect sense. And since you drive a Toyota everyday, I'm sure you're aware of all the other things that modern Challenger has that a '71 340 4 speed doesn't.

HP to HP an N/A Gen III 392 puts out 485 hp. The '71 340 did 275. If you yank a stock 340 and replace it with a stock 392 Gen III hemi you go a lot faster.

I was just confirming a suspicion that the Gen 3 N/A platform in a modern production car doesn't walk all over the muscle cars from yesteryear.

Except you can buy a GenIII with a supercharger right off the showroom floor, so your "N/A" requirement is just an artificial restriction. If you compare the fastest '71 340 Demon to the fastest 2022 Challenger you can buy there's no contest at all.

I think all you did was pick your facts judiciously and try and make them fit what you wanted them to fit.

And the little 5.7 only adds 5 cubes and 800+ pounds and still runs faster. 13.7@102

What!? You think '68cuda416 just picks whatever "facts" he wants to support the opinion he already has and refuses to change? Say it isn't so!

Yeah, because comparing a 4,000+ lb cars times to a 3,000+ lb cars times makes perfect sense. And since you drive a Toyota everyday, I'm sure you're aware of all the other things that modern Challenger has that a '71 340 4 speed doesn't.

HP to HP an N/A Gen III 392 puts out 485 hp. The '71 340 did 275. If you yank a stock 340 and replace it with a stock 392 Gen III hemi you go a lot faster.

Except you can buy a GenIII with a supercharger right off the showroom floor, so your "N/A" requirement is just an artificial restriction. If you compare the fastest '71 340 Demon to the fastest 2022 Challenger you can buy there's no contest at all.

What!? You think '68cuda416 just picks whatever "facts" he wants to support the opinion he already has and refuses to change? Say it isn't so!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey not my fault about the weight......that's why I stick with cars that men built and not the modern junk that automakers built according to what women want, LOL

Hey not my fault about the weight......that's why I stick with cars that men built and not the modern junk that automakers built according to what women want, LOL

Says the guy that daily drives a Toyota. Ok pal. You've logged more miles in that "modern junk" than I have.

Just because I can and I know how badass my car is I will challenge ANY registered, insured and plated Gen 3 Hemi owner that is currently on this site to a 10 mile pre race drive and then immediate back to back to back with NO COOLDOWN PERIODS in between if that person wants to get beat 3 times in a row race to prove I back up the fact that my car and myself are bad MF's........AND I will fill my tank up prior to leaving for our real world car drive and not put anymore gas in it until the race is over......AND I will put 500 dollars up against anyone and ANY factory built combo Gen 3 Hemi modern Challenger or Charger that is to the specs I stated, also have to race on the same tire you pre race drive on. Here is your chance to TRY and prove me wrong that I do drive my car and it's superior to the modern era stuff........LOL.......come on boys someone please step up to the plate.

Last edited:
Just because I can and I know how badass my car is I will challenge ANY registered, insured and plated Gen 3 Hemi owner that is currently on this site to a 10 mile pre race drive and then immediate back to back to back with NO COOLDOWN PERIODS in between if that person wants to get beat 3 times in a row race to prove I back up the fact that my car and myself are bad MF's........AND I will fill my tank up prior to leaving for our real world car drive and not put anymore gas in it until the race is over......AND I will put 500 dollars up against anyone and ANY factory built combo Gen 3 Hemi modern Challenger or Charger that is to the specs I stated. Here is your chance to TRY and prove me wrong that I don't drive my car and it's subpar to the modern era stuff........LOL.......come on boys someone please step up to the plate.
So just MODERN car that is gen 3 Hemi powered? Or ANY Mopar that is gen 3 Hemi powered? Cuz you piss and moan about gen 3 in old car, then in the next breath, specify MODERN car. I would think you would and will challenge the whole world. Just remember the Golden Rule boo boo.

Just because I can and I know how badass my car is I will challenge ANY registered, insured and plated Gen 3 Hemi owner that is currently on this site to a 10 mile pre race drive and then immediate back to back to back with NO COOLDOWN PERIODS in between if that person wants to get beat 3 times in a row race to prove I back up the fact that my car and myself are bad MF's........AND I will fill my tank up prior to leaving for our real world car drive and not put anymore gas in it until the race is over......AND I will put 500 dollars up against anyone and ANY factory built combo Gen 3 Hemi modern Challenger or Charger that is to the specs I stated. Here is your chance to TRY and prove me wrong that I do drive my car and it's superior to the modern era stuff........LOL.......come on boys someone please step up to the plate.
What are we racing, your 68? I have a choice of two and one only has a V6.

So just MODERN car that is gen 3 Hemi powered? Or ANY Mopar that is gen 3 Hemi powered? Cuz you piss and moan about gen 3 in old car, then in the next breath, specify MODERN car. I would think you would and will challenge the whole world. Just remember the Golden Rule boo boo.
Just to appease you and to show that i'm MORE THAN FAIR and even more confident in my car and myself's abilities......I will also open that up to any Gen 3 N/A powered car of any era that is minimun 3200 lbs race ready with driver.

What are we racing, your 68? I have a choice of two and one only has a V6.
Yes against my Barracuda that i'm constantly told I never drive and is a trailer queen.......although I must admit after I touched it with my magical hands it is quite pretty, LOL

According to Automobile Catalog, 15 seconds for the Duster 340/4 speed.

Detailed specs review of 1971 Plymouth Duster 340 4-speed offered since September 1970 for North America

Using your website provided,

R/T 2dr Coupe
372 Hp, 401 Lb-Ft., 4041 Weight
5.7 sec, 14.2 @ 100

The V6 isn't that far behind.

SE 2dr Coupe
250 Hp, 250 Lb-Ft., 3719 Weight
7.1 sec, 15.4 @ 90

Do NOT look at ET. I can’t say how many times I’ve said and posted this in my what, near 7 decades. ET doesnt mean jack ****.

Look at MPH. Any other comparison isnt valid. I wont get into tires etc.

View attachment 1716005948

Dude, you are wrong.

Do NOT look at ET. I can’t say how many times I’ve said and posted this in my what, near 7 decades. ET doesnt mean jack ****.

Look at MPH. Any other comparison isnt valid. I wont get into tires etc.
They gonna come back with the "but look how much i weigh" rebuttal......LOL

They gonna come back with the "but look how much i weigh" rebuttal......LOL
I don't think anyone "complained" about the weight. Just simply trying to present the fact that the newer cars are more than adequate when you compare the weights and times and MPH of new and old.

I dont have a horse in this race, but the original throw down was Gen III.....Now its N/A?

Yes, NA. Because the Hemi is a PIG NA. Always has been, unless you like big RPM and the VAST MAJORITY are afraid of anything over 6800 and they wet themselves at 7500 while the GM and Ford guys think 8500 is nothing.

I dont have a horse in this race, but the original throw down was Gen III.....Now its N/A?
No......it's ANY factory powered setup in a modern day Challenger or Charger OR since someone brought it up I would do ANY N/A Gen 3 in ANY car platform, that again is registered, insured and plated that was minimun 3200 lbs with driver. Do you think i'm being unreasonable? I think i'm being quite fair.

Just to appease you and to show that i'm MORE THAN FAIR and even more confident in my car and myself's abilities......I will also open that up to any Gen 3 N/A powered car of any era that is minimun 3200 lbs race ready with driver.
And..... You don't have to appease me. I'm just askin questions. You and I got into a pissin match before on old engine vs. gen 3. I don't give two ***** about your stuff, just like you don't give two ***** about my stuff. 20 grand got me 730 horse. I'm guessing at the very least 40 got you your 800 or 900 or whatever it was, if you used mostly new parts. I'm NOT ignorant on what it takes to buy a 400 plus cube W whatever head small block. The math don't jive for me. A possible extra 20 grand for only another 100 to 200 horse? All good in the hood boo boo. I don't have a car for my engine at the moment, so I'll bow out. Otherwise, I would whole heartedly accept your challenge.

-
Back