The end of the gasoline engine?

-
My friend is spending about $1.25 a day to travel 60 miles a day in his truck.

He modified a small GM truck to run on 24 batteries. The batteries are tucked under the bed of the truck. The batteries should last about 5 years being charged nightly.

He just plugs it in every night to recharge the batteries. The performance is equal to a small 4 cylinder. The cruise range is about 100 miles before he needs to recharge the batteries.

He plans on building another version with more power. He is a mechanic and did all the work himself. He estimated about 150 man hours to do the conversion. It retains the transmission and back, drivetrain.

Either

Every time a "righty" brought up opening the continental shelf, ANWAR, etc. for drilling, only one group has stopped it. Can you guess what group that is? Hint - they have been "running" Congress since the 2006 election.

That still leaves 6 years.

The political left is strangling us. Only one group of people is preventing us from getting at our own oil. Most of the recent rise in oil price is NOT DUE TO OIL SHORTAGE on the planet. It is simply due to the idiots in Congress and the Federal reserve crashing the value of the dollar. The same thing happened in the late 1970s. Thank you lefties and incompetants.:angryfir:

Ehem.. last I checked it was Bernanke under Bush who has been slashing interest rates like nobodies business. The huge deficits that are being run up on Bush's watch also play a big part in devaluing the dollar.. along with the deficits under Reagan and Bush #1. The price of oil is now over 10 times what it was about 10 years ago and the dollar has not fallen anywhere near 1/10th is previous value, the dollar is only part of the issue. Aside from that the real issue is in fact oil supply and demand. Demand in China and India for example, also the general fact the the global population keeps growing exponentially. Supply is finite and though we wont run out anytime soon the production capacity will peak at a given level probably around what it is now at 85-86 million barrels a day.After that it will slowly decline just like it has done in the continental US since the early 1970s. Just like the north slope of Alaska is in decline, and the largest oil field in Mexico is in decline, and the oil production in the north sea near England has been falling.

energy stocks are the only safe haven for investors playing the stock markets these days,when you have just purchased stocks in oil at say $25.00 per share back in november 2007 for example, you would be the same people that ran around at that time saying gasolene would hit $4.00 per gallon by summer,drive less this summer and then demmand drops, then watch how fast specultors bolt from energy stocks onto something else.just my take:read2:

In that Passtime episode it was a 82, i think S-10, with a electric motor, it did a awsome burnout and ran a 13 something quarter mile

Jimmyray;exactly right about where does electricity come from? Coal fired is bad enough,never mind nuclear. And dams are no better. Theres unaccounted damage done when a valley is flooded for a dam.

Solar is about the best choice I guess. Solar panels are much cheaper to produce now. In fact theres a company in Silicon valley which produces solar panels much the same way you would make a newspaper;it's printed on huge sheet rolls. If this new tecknology proves good electrcity will be cheaper to make with solar than coal.

Thier first year production already went to build a solar plant in europe.

you know what will be sad is when we do go to different alternative fuel vehicles, most of them you won't be able to here or you'll just here the wine of an electric motor.

I live in North Dakota and this spring was announced that the Bakken oil field in western ND has oil reserves of 167 billion barrels of oil. That is more than the Alaska ANWAR reserve. The 2005 reserves for all of US was 112 billion barrels. One source said at present USA usage of 20.7 million bbl per day that would provide fuel for 60 million cars for 60 years. So there isn't any shortage of crude oil, but there is definitely a shortage of refinery capacity. The speculators are controling the price of gasoline with the value of dollar inflating it also. IMO the oil should power cars and trucks. Oil should not be used for electricity and heating. Electricity is better generated by coal, wind, and nukes. Course I'm a little biased since I retired from coal mining. Don't ask about global warming hype.

a little tidbit i read today...70 percent of the diesl fuel refined in this country is being sold overseas, to the highest bidder... this is the oldest trick in the book. sell most of what you make out of the counrty, to make a false shortage here at home, just to drive up the prices.
maybe it is time to nationalize the oil industry....

Guys, is this the beginning of the end of the good old gasoline engine? A friend of mine theorizes that this whole gas crisis is going to set off an intense search for alternative fuels which will put an end to the gasoline powered engine. If it is, I can honestly tell you I never thought something like this would occur in my lifetime. My wife, says, oh well, electric motors are going to be great. However, for me, this is really a tragedy.
yea. the feel and sound wont be the same with an electric car. itll just buzz. if they do make everything electic they better make those cars look just like the olds ones of the muscle car era. and if they do they damn sure better have some sorta sound box that makes driving worth it. if it doesnt roar itll sure be a sad era. it should respond to the gas pedals touch. sound like a v8 and be on cue like a REAL car. better be able to do burnouts and donuts too. lol theyd be the quietest burnouts ever.

I live in North Dakota and this spring was announced that the Bakken oil field in western ND has oil reserves of 167 billion barrels of oil. That is more than the Alaska ANWAR reserve. The 2005 reserves for all of US was 112 billion barrels. One source said at present USA usage of 20.7 million bbl per day that would provide fuel for 60 million cars for 60 years. So there isn't any shortage of crude oil, but there is definitely a shortage of refinery capacity. The speculators are controling the price of gasoline with the value of dollar inflating it also. IMO the oil should power cars and trucks. Oil should not be used for electricity and heating. Electricity is better generated by coal, wind, and nukes. Course I'm a little biased since I retired from coal mining. Don't ask about global warming hype.

What's your opinion on the global warming hype?:snakeman::glasses9:

I think SEMA might have something to say about letting the gasoline engine die, there's so much money in the specialty equipment /hot rod/muscle car business to give up that easily.

-
Back