The Great White Brick - '69 Valiant

-
Bad news. The paint job, although technically excellent, went bad. I mean, Tom did a great job but the whole thing orange peeled really bad! What might have caused this?

I do know he forgot to ground the car...he knows it was a bad mistake and he just somehow forgot. Would that cause orange peel all over?

Sorry to hear Neil, don't be following my foot steps with Murpy's law problems. Like you said, take a rest and deep breath. It will come together!

I have seen this happen to the best of them, And to ask what would do this could be allot of thing's from paint mix ratio to time between coats and allot of things I do not know.
Like gun settings and air pressure to humidity and temperature.
And some time's
the thinner my not let it lay down because of it drying to fast.:dontknow:
It is an art and very hard to be consistent.
Catch it when it is green !! or before it get's real hard. in the next 3 to 8 day. and wet sand it down with wet sand paper and sanding block. not going to say what grit to use he or you can determine that. some where around 1000 ultra and in some of the bad heavy area's start with 800 then go to 1000 ultra,then buff.
It will sand and buff out. You will want that dun anyway, for a merrier finish.
All is good and can be and will be a good finish paint job.

Got any picture's yet?

Ya, I figured it's a gun thing or whatever. I'm no painter, it's Tom that is. This basically has drawn the curtain on having the car at Carlisle, there's no way it's going to happen now. :(

Hopefully my Barracuda will be in running shape and ready to go, it's got a few problems of its own! I hate being this close to the wire all the time.

Anyhow, here's a shot I took of the car in white, orange peel and all.

IMG_9511.JPG

Hey Neil, sorry to hear about the major orange peel problem. As Mike said, there are several factors that could have caused it, but normally it's either a lack of paint flow as it's being applied (use the slowest reducer you can get), or a lack of atomization (gun setting or lack of air pressure). What kind of paint did you guys use? Base/Claer, Urethane, Acrylic Enamel? It can probably be saved, depending on what you used and how much paint you put on the car.

If you used a base/clear on the car, you can wet sand with 600 grit to drop the elevation of the bumps...........clean it foo well, and look closely for surface "pits" against the glare of the light......resand those areas lightly, and prep for another clear coat.

If you used one stage, either your reducer was too fast, or your ratio was too thick..........a zahn cup is the trick for consistency (it "times" the paint as it runs through a small cup, so your ratio is dead on), due to temp variances and paint brand inconsistencies.................If you have just a color coat, wet sand with 600 to smooth it out (use a medium-foam block for your paper....it won't "cut" from the edges)...........Follow that up with another color coat.........ONE coat........after a complete flash, check the surface..........You may be ready for a compound buff as-is.

If you have an aggravated case of orange peel, you will most likely have to recoat the surface..........Just a sand and buff will look better, BUT you won't get rid of all of the low areas as well as with a recoat and buff....AND, as previously pointed out by other members, you should use an 800 grit minimum for this.....600 is only for recoats.....800 to 1000 for buff-only projects.

New clear coats are thicker than in the past, and VERY forgiving in these circumstances........I wouldn't worry too much if it's base clear. You'll be OK.

:thumblef::thumblef:

Thanks guys, I'll pass this info on to Tom the painter. It was one stage urethane I think. It's pretty thick and rough! It's okay though, we've already wet sanded one quarter and it's really smooth and looks like a new fresh coat will go on nice. It's all a learning thing I guess. It's just too bad that the car won't make it to Carlisle now, we had the glass and headliner all set to go!

Sorry to hear of your dilemma Neil. I'm sure it will all work out for you from what I have seen. Thanks for the info on the master series undercoat.

I use enamel with no clear coat. That way i can repair stuff as it gets damaged.
I always have to work on my paint after I shoot it.
Maybe it is because I don't know what I am doing.
Glad your paint is salvageable.
What grit to use?
Good thing there are people here that know this stuff off the top of there head.
"Micro Mesh" works wonders.
If anyone ever worked for an airline you know what that is. :toothy10:

Well I think Tom's a little depressed, wet sanding seems to be a lot of work. He hasn't been working too much either, low on cash. I think we're just taking a mental break. I've been busy trying to keep my Barracuda running and working a little on my Ffffff...Ffffff...Ford (there I said it!) van too. We really do need to get his car done man!

I did however find a '69 Valiant Signet 200 (exact same car) in the wrecking yard with it's complete interior...so now I know what the seats are supposed to look like and we'll get all the door panels and maybe even used carpet!

Hey Neil,
Although I'm not a body man..., is that orange peel or fish eye in the paint?
Reason i'm asking, is that this looks like it was painted in someone's home garage.
With the temp. changes overnight and the humidity levels experienced in Can. it could very well be only condensation in the air line and water particles getting blown in with the paint.
If that's the case, it doesn't matter what paint or press. or mix.and so on... you are using, you will end up with relatively the same result.

Please don't give up on it! Its like watching you favorite TV show for a season, then it ends without warning. If I was closer, I would wet sand it for you!

I really appreciate the positive feedback guys, thanks!

It is a home garage!

Tom's painted many cars, he waited for good temp weather. He now thinks the sealer he put on didn't cure properly before he painted the car. He thinks he didn't wait long enough, in fact he knows it. The orange peel only seems to be where the sealer was.

Anyhow, the small bolt turbine rims are all cleaned up and clear coated..WOW they look great (I'll post a photo when I get a chance).

We're taking some time to organize the many bins of parts and spare parts we've amassed and need to build some shelves in my garage for some of this stuff. Not to mention the engine hoist and other heavy stuff like that....it's all in my storage garage and in the way!

I have a special attachment to your car, I got my car about the same time and started work at the same time. You guys have progressed so fast and left me in the dust. I am still a month from painting my car.

I really appreciate the positive feedback guys, thanks!

It is a home garage!

snip!

We're taking some time to organize the many bins of parts and spare parts we've amassed and need to build some shelves in my garage for some of this stuff. Not to mention the engine hoist and other heavy stuff like that....it's all in my storage garage and in the way!

In know how that feels I'm just now reinstalling half the rafters in my garage the PO took them all out for some unknown reason. Once I have a loft to store some parts I'm going to tear into the Dart again. I love this thread and I think the Demon clip on Valiant looks great. I want to put one on a 67-9 Dart that'd look sexy!

Don't give up the ship!

Cool car and great progress. I just picked up a '69 Valiant two weeks ago myself, for free. Body is clean minus left fender needs repaired, but thats not an issue for me to fix. I tried to post a photo of it, but file is to large.
Mark

looks like a saver,I am currently doing a 68 valiant,5.7 hemi and looking for some body parts ,do you have the address of the yard in New york?
thanks.

Judging from the fact that he has not posted in 6 months, I think this project got sold or forgot about.

No! It's winter here, tons and tons of snow! I will admit that both Tom (the new owner who did the paint that orange peeled) and myself did get rather discouraged after the paint problems.....but we will get back at her!

I recently bought a '75 Dart Sport that we fixing up....this is just a short term project to get us in the mood again. While we're doing this, we're talking about the Deviant all the time. I think this is getting a fire under Tom's butt so he will want to get going on the Deviant the second the Dart is out of his garage.

Thanks for being interested guys, it makes the journey so much better knowing others are interested.

heres my valiant rustfree 30,000 i bought it just for the fact of being rust free
0ldpicsofpappyandkids010.jpg
i have a 68 in good shape that needs a home as its going to the junk yard if i don't sell same with a 70 duster body by the way great job on that car you have some strong will to go through all you have:thumbup:

Neil, is that your snow sculpture? That is the way i feel a bount the snow and winter in new brunswick and the predicimant i am in til who knows when. Never got to use all tools i got for christmas. Cant wait to see more projects, like you and flyboy and others have posted, truly amazing like the deviant, like the dart sport you mentioned. Dont forget pics might keep me inspired a little, thanks Neil!

God Bless Marvin Peacock 70dart

-
Back