The Great White Brick - '69 Valiant

-
I am in AWE of you and your buddie's skill and dedication to what I know will be a BAD *** mopar when you're all done with it. Just seeing all the work in it has given me insperation for my 74 Valiant Brougham project.

Hey, speaking of my Maxine(74 valiant) I'm gonna pull her steering wheel 'cause it's not the look i'm going for, and like yours it's got that deluxe-lower-horn-ring thingy. It don't look nor feel cracked and even though her previous owners put purple tape arround the actual wheel (don't ask, they are artists) with a little paint and 'goo-gone' it should be good as new. So i'll clean it up and take a few pictures so as you can see if it's what your after.

keep up the good work.

Neil I am envious, I sure could use a pan like that! Lookin' good keep pluggin' away and posting those pics you'll be done in no time, awesome job nice and neat!

Did you say Steering Wheel? :)

So here is the floor, all new and coated with some good 'ole Por-15. Looks nice eh? I'm getting pumped about this car now...it actually feels like a car now!

IMG_9128.JPG

IMG_9132.JPG

I've also been busy scraping oil spray, undercoating, mud and dead grass from under the car........

IMG_9139.JPG

That is going to be a beautiful car when you are finished, If there is such a thing. (finished is such a terminal word)I would have never thought that a car in that condition could be saved. I give you big props for tackling such a big project. Keep posting too, Every time I see your progress it gives me a kick in the *** to keep going on mine. Give your welder a pat on the back for me too, He does really good work.

Hey man that thing is looking AWESOME! but yeah that steeringwheel is yours once I pull her out. How soon would you need it? we can work this out in PM if you like.

P.S. what are you using to scrape off the undercoating?

Isn't it great when things turn out..Them floors will be good for another 30+ years Neil. :thumbup:

30 years? I was thinking like 100! Both sides are sandblasted then Por-15'd and there's still some oil spray sandwiched in between some metal-on-metal areas.

To scrape off the undercoating I'm using a big tough automotive scraper (it's like a screwdriver but the tip is very large, I just keep grinding it sharp), an old paring knife with a curve on it (but it broke last night, gotta find a new one) and a wire brush. Later I'll attack the residue with some WD-40 and wire brushes, then some degreaser and brushes again.

Your work looks outstanding 65s and you have stayed on it too.
You are taking some great picture's and the floor boards look great. :salute:
How is your neck and shoulders holding up!!! Mine would be sore as hell after all that scrapping.
You go bud :blob: :wav:

I'm laying on a dolly with headrest, it's not too bad. The goal is to have this beast painted and driving to Carlisle in July! Things like seats, carpet, etc. are optional. (I've got some old lightweight van seats that will work in a pinch)

Hey 65. The car is looking great. Just my .02 on the scraping undercoating, I bought a cheap heat gun for like $25. heat the undercoating for a few min and then i use a wood cheisel (well 3, 1/4", 1/2", AND 1"). The heat hepls it come off easier.

Woowww. Can't say enough about the work you guys are accomplishing in such a short amount of time. Sweet.

Wow! You guys did a great job. For your next project, you should try to find a basket-case E-body, fix it up, then sell the rebuilt shell.

Cars lookin good Neil!:thumbup:
I'll be in Carlisle in July to if you go we can meet up.

if you could sell your ambition you would be one rich man. looks great! think i'm gonna go put something together instead of taking it apart...

Thanks for the votes of confidence. Tonight we pulled the windshield and dash and scraped more. A rotisserie is starting to look like a good idea!

We're going to convert the interior from green to black. The exterior of the car will be original white. I was thinking a white dash, and white interior metal (upper door, pillars, etc) might look good with black door panels, black dash pad, black carpet. Anyone got a white or black/white interior I can see photos of?

Sorry Neil, your asking for the white metal. I posted the wrong pics at first. Here's a pic of the kids white duster with black inside.

inside car.jpg

I thought about you and your white interior, but I couldn't remember what it looked like exactly!

So I see your dash is your body colour and so are your upper doors. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

What do you think of doing the exterior white, upper doors white, dash white. Then do dash pad, door panels, seats, headliner, carpet all black?

65s said:
I thought about you and your white interior, but I couldn't remember what it looked like exactly!

So I see your dash is your body colour and so are your upper doors. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

What do you think of doing the exterior white, upper doors white, dash white. Then do dash pad, door panels, seats, headliner, carpet all black?

That would look really sharp! Are ya doing anything with the hood at all?

If you've seen the photos, you'll know this best has a 70 Demon/Dart front clip! The hood has been drilled for scoops, and I'm hopefully getting a set from a guy here on this site, but he hasn't responded to me for a few days....he's either busy or run off with the money!

-
Back