The Hay Day

-
boy, if that dont bring back memories. i used to sneak the radio on in my bed room at night in the mid 60s after mom and dad went to bed, and listen to wls till way after midnight. i guess that stations long gone by now huh?

I think the term for that is skip. Not quite sure how it works. Sure someone here can explain it.

Skywave
or skip refers to the propagation of radio waves reflected or refracted back toward Earth from the ionosphere, an electrically charged layer of the upper atmosphere.

As a result of skywave propagation, a signal from a distant AM broadcasting station, or—during certain conditions (principally during the summer months in both hemispheres) a distant VHF FM or TV station can sometimes be received as clearly as local stations. Most long-distance shortwave radio communication—between 3 and 30 MHz—is a result of skywave propagation. Since the early 1920s amateur radio operators (or "hams"), limited to lower transmitter power than broadcast stations, have taken advantage of skywave for long distance communication.

95.5 KLOS
Little bit o' heaven 94.7 KMET .. Tweedle EEEE
105.5 ... 105.5% Pure Rock .. cant remember the call letters on that one
I was going back to my desert home on a Friday afternoon, there was one spot near Palmdale I could get KMET once on that side of the mountains. I'm rockin along in the first vintage Toyota 4x4 pickup, KMET is blastin on the FM mono radio. The music stops and an announcement begins, "Thank you for listening to the Mighty Met KMET radio. We are changing our format to smooth jazz". Heart break city. Whenever I take Pearblossom Hwy, I remember where they killed KMET. J.J. Jackson from the early MTV days was on KLOS in my teens. God help us, Mark and Brian started on KLOS I think. In their beginnings they played more music than spent time talking. Funny, KTYD in Santa Barbara is strikingly similar to the 70s KLOS format. How did I get from Mr Norm's to 70s radio? :rofl:
105.5 KNAC ...still existing, online.

KFI SIXFOURTEEEEEE
I know it's AM, but you could get it in most of the south western US and no telling how many foreign lands. Lohman and Barkley in the morning. There for a while if I didn't get to listen to Lohman and Barkley on the way to work it seemed like my day just turned to caca. We could get KFI on the way to Colorado on a hunting expedition when we couldn't get anything else. There was one from San Francisco we could get out in the desert too. Giants baseball, sheesh.

KFI SIXFOURTEEEEEE
I know it's AM, but you could get it in most of the south western US and no telling how many foreign lands. Lohman and Barkley in the morning. There for a while if I didn't get to listen to Lohman and Barkley on the way to work it seemed like my day just turned to caca. We could get KFI on the way to Colorado on a hunting expedition when we couldn't get anything else. There was one from San Francisco we could get out in the desert too. Giants baseball, sheesh.
Good radio station A.M. ,with wattage...still existing, brother. 940 and 1400 for Giants , 580 KMJ Fresno , goes deep into Santa Barbara county.... Good news ,with humor....

sunday....SUNday ....SUNDAY!!!..... GREAT LAKES DRAGAWAY...UNION GROVE WISCONSIN!!! FUNNY CAR....JET ROCKET...FLAME THROWING....DRAG CARS!!!! KIDS GET IN FOR A BUCK!

Except you were supposed to be with an adult .....oops. Just file in behind some tall people and pretend that you know them in line and BAM! In like a "members only" jacket in 1982.

In the 60s early 70s the only music on FM was classical, all the rock was on AM. Chicago had two powerful AM rock stations, WLS and WCFL, the signal reached out hundreds of miles.

One of the Chicago radio DJs once made the comment that if you were shopping for a used car, and the radio push buttons were set for WLS and WCFL that the transmission was probably shot

In 64 five six seven & eight we lived in Northwest Alabama. We used to pick up WLS at night that was about 500 miles away from the radio station.

sunday....SUNday ....SUNDAY!!!..... GREAT LAKES DRAGAWAY...UNION GROVE WISCONSIN!!! FUNNY CAR....JET ROCKET...FLAME THROWING....DRAG CARS!!!! KIDS GET IN FOR A BUCK!

Except you were supposed to be with an adult .....oops. Just file in behind some tall people and pretend that you know them in line and BAM! In like a "members only" jacket in 1982.
Pointed my 70 340 Cuda down that strip many a time.

-
Back