The heat riser clang...

-

chewy

Some old guy...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My original Carter carb hasn't had choke butterflies, nor anything hooked to the hear riser since 1975 or before. The first intake gasket I changed had a solid gasket on one side of the crossover, which I've continued to block off with any intake gasket change.

The heat riser defaults to closed but opens on startup and after about 2-3 minutes of running clangs at idle along with the lope of the cam, or when accelerating it just rattle-clangs along the way.

I thought about welding it open when I rebuilt it in 2012. Kinda cool that it could still work, but it is useless for my setup. I'm not gonna find any choke butterflies, nor would I ever hook the choke up again.

Even back in the 80s when sub zero in Utah, it was pump 3 times and start it for a couple minutes. Pump it three times, set the fast idle, start it and then let it warm up. No choke was needed nor crossover.

Just curious what others have done. Weld it? Wire it? Just continue to let it clank?

The first time I wired open a heat riser valve was about 1978. It worked then. Still works now.
It's nice for a quicker warm up when they work, but not critical.

If it clangs your bi metalic heat spring must be gone..
Now that I took another look at the TSM in the book tryimg to see what the bimetal spring is.
20230918_164416.jpg

Thermostat spring is there, if you mean the little 'anti-rattle' spring that is missing now. Wasn't missing a couple months ago, but nowhere to be seen now.

My gosh, been half a century since I've heard one of those rattle. I put headers on my 69 383RR (about fall of 1970), my 70 440-6, about 71-72, came with cyclone headers the 1st owner had installed, and the 340 I swapped in later I pulled the thing out and stuck a bolt in there. Soon after, put headers on THAT. Only thing I can remember with one since was the original 273 in my 67, which got yanked quickly, and this 74 Scamp with a slant, and IT does not make enough POWER to clang!!! LOL

-
Back