the infamous 340 R/T dart demon

-

shiifty_dart

Reaction score
talked to a guy at work that had a 72 dodge dart demon with a 340 4 bolt main I am not sure if chrysler made a 340 four bolt main but I just got the feeling that he was blowing smoke

When there is a big "X" on the front of the Engine, than he is right! thats the X-Block, a very rare Raceblock from Chrysler with 4-bolt mains!! The block is all over a little big thicker and more stable!
I never saw one in my life! But a good friend of mine saw one! Is very rare!

I seen one too. It had hemi heads. Didn't matter what you put it in, it would pull 9 second 1/4s.

Must've got a whole boatload of the wacky stuff in at the border, and it sounds like it hit the streets!!! This could become a regular thread idea here, the BS story of the week, I'm sure that we all hear them!!!The old Dart/Demon R/T 340 was a mean machine, even today they were unsurpassed, and unequaled!!! Let me guess, he either didn't keep it or it's in his storage unit in Florida somewhere!!! Stop the world, I wanna get off!!! Geof

Only the experimental 340 with brass con rods got the 6 bolt mains, it was a secret option on the 383 TTA's which was basically a factory overbored 340 with all of the goodies. It was only available at one dealership, Grand Scalding Fudge from Mr. Ab-Norm.
It ran low 8's in a '63 Biscayne.
Everyone knows that.

Only the experimental 340 with brass con rods got the 6 bolt mains, it was a secret option on the 383 TTA's which was basically a factory overbored 340 with all of the goodies. It was only available at one dealership, Grand Scalding Fudge from Mr. Ab-Norm.
It ran low 8's in a '63 Biscayne.
Everyone knows that.

Damn, chief, I damn near spit my coffee all over the screen!

infamous 340 R/T dart demon

I heard about those cars, didn't
they come with the 12 pac option?

Rumour has it they are alochol fueled.

4 bolt mains is a chevy term he heard ,,,,

no mopar small block came with 4 bolt mains in a production vehicle,,,

the X block was an over the counter race block in the early 1980s,,it was cast from the 318 core mold,,and was not finished in the cylinder bore area,,,much thicker casting and webbing,, also already hogged out for the then 390 C.I stroker crank,,drilled for 2 bolt main caps,, but had enough material to be drilled for 4 bolt main caps,,,as far as i rememebr this X block came to life because bob glidden was running a plymouth arrow in NHRA prostock,after a short falling out with FORD,,,

this is the same block now being sold thru mopar called the 340 resto block,,,

how do i know all this ?????? i have one,,of the early X blocks with aluminum miladon 4 bolt main caps,,,,the X is behind the dip stick

refreshing the cuda july 2008 046.jpg

Oh, c'mon fstfish66, you can come up with a better story than that!!! Everybody knows that this "X" motor and the 383TTA only came in the 63 Biscayne, and only with independent posi-traction front suspension. Looks like you put that "X" on there with a magic marker!!!LOL!!!

And to you longarm, everybody knows that the Dart/Demon/R/T came with the 12pac option, but it wasn't factory installed, it came in a cooler in the backseat!!!

Now, go go gadget guru's, lets get our facts straight here, we're talking about some seriously rare iron here, and we wouldn't want our new members to think we don't know our stuff!!! Geof

I just want to see the race between the TTA and the Dart R/T. Who'll be faster? Or do you just reckon they'll implode from the bs factor?

Well I'm making my 69 Dart into an R/T clone now. I'll just have to modify a Charger R/T bumblebee stripe and get some R/T badges for the hood and trunklid. No one will ever know the difference.

I think I'll build my 71 Duster into a Hemi Scamp R/T with the 383TTA engine clone car. Probably with a posi 4:48 rear ratio, and find a classic 3/4 race cam, oversized valves and skull valve stem caps. Well it is a dream at least.

hmmm, I'm sure I drove one a long time ago.

Wait a minute this whole thread doesn't exist!

-
Back