The intellectual post,about old school camshafts,the newer ramp cams.. and what's needed ,in modifi

-
I for one am a fan of a lot of the older Grinds and in particular the purple cams they're what I have the most experience with. Two points , the old Mopar performance/direct connection camshaft were made for competition and considered race grinds I feel they have a shitload of potential. And two I believe that marketing has played a huge role in camshaft sales and I think the very fast rate and valve spring pressure it takes to control these cams are reaching the end of the ability for a flat tappet. Yes if everything's perfect and with a little bit of luck there's a little extra power to be made. But I'm not building my motor to extract every 10th of a second out of it I want it powerful I want it sounding good and I want it to last. I have experienced one flattened lobe in over 40 years and as tempting as it is to move to a more modern faster rate camshaft my next cam is a 525 solid Mopar camshaft sitting on the shelf waiting to go into my 340 six pack.

How fast can you go with a white box 204/214 cam on 112* lsa .420/.454 lift with 1.5 rockers?

Don't know on that one but I know someone that was running 11.70 with a 214/224 443/465 cam in a 360. The car flat out worked well.

Don't know on that one but I know someone that was running 11.70 with a 214/224 443/465 cam in a 360. The car flat out worked well.

6.99 in the 1/8 mile.

That's impressive. Do you have any details?

Why wouldn't that cam run well? It's bigger than a lot of stock cams and people have run 11s with them before. Most of the combo is a well setup car.

Big time. So do I. Just not the same.

Don’t know if you remember this or not, but I went and hung out with him for a day.
He drove my Dart and showed me around to the local hotrod shops and some of the car hangouts.
Good guy that said what he thought.

IDK, maybe 8 mph with new sneakers. but after that my knees are gonna sing a pity-me song, for a bit. But in my workboots, 4 mph is already pretty fast.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

An old member here (Mike Beck?) ran very low 12’s in his Duster with a very similar cam. A few things went south on the 360 while it was still being sorted out and he stopped racing.
Family first!

Don’t know if you remember this or not, but I went and hung out with him for a day.
He drove my Dart and showed me around to the local hotrod shops and some of the car hangouts.
Good guy that said what he thought.

I do remember that! You said you had a great time. Wish I couldda been there too. :(

That's the cam I have in the 400 I built.

-
Back