The Jeep 4.0L HO Lives!

-
I wish I still had my Dart otherwise I would donate it for a 4.0 build like that to drop in it.

We'd have to call it a "Jart". :-D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N99ee1umzQE&feature=related"]YouTube- Jarts[/ame]

OK, just got back from an extended test drive encompassing both city and highway driving so the computer can get it's stuff together.

Here's my impressions:

1. I need an alignment after replacing the control arm bushings (I figured I would anyway, lol).
2. Tires don't need balancing and are nice and smooth up to 80 easy.
3. I never once felt the desire to shift the trans manually.
4. The off-idle torque is outstanding and very, very little throttle input is needed to keep up with traffic on the street.
5. On the highway, entrance ramps are fun! No issues merging into 65-70 mph traffic whatsoever.
6. The exhaust is almost totally imperceptible while cruising on the hwy at any speed. No resonance at all..... until the throttle is mashed. :)
7. I was worried that this would be all low end so when heading back on my favorite entrance ramp I shifted into 1-2 and mashed the throttle and let it rev. It pulled cleanly and hard to 5k when I had to let off as I was well over the speed limit. It might be a good race for my RC! Of course the RC weighs 2K lbs. more and has fulltime 4wd. It was still pulling hard at 5K and still seemed to want to go and go hard. I wonder if the computer will kill fuel at a predetermined rpm?
8. The computer threw no codes and seems happy as a clam. :) No leaks, oil pressure is 35-40 hot at idle in traffic and it runs at no more than 190F in traffic in today's high 80's temperature.

In conclusion, I will estimate a 20hp increase compared to similiar new Cheeroke's I've driven with much improved throttle response and fantastic driveability on the street. I believe that I have accomplished my goal so far. An mpg report will have to wait. BTW, all this testing was done on fuel that's 9 months old. Granted that's a stretch, but it smells and looks fine (Phillips 66 IIRC). Fresh fuel wouldn't hurt though and I'm looking forward to a fresh tank of the same or Shell (my two favorite brands).

I'm kicking back with a drink to celebrate and life is good. :) It seems that there are so many unknowns in a computerized build of this sort and I'm proud as a big rottie with a litter of new poop shooters. 8)

Edit: Yes , I got my tags today, lol.

Great news Joe!

Did you have to pay the penalty for not having plates on it for a while? Sounds like a joy to drive and I hope it just gets broke in and runs better & better!

Kim

Great news Joe!

Did you have to pay the penalty for not having plates on it for a while? Sounds like a joy to drive and I hope it just gets broke in and runs better & better!

Kim

Yeah man, they soaked me for a 75 buck penalty. More than the plates cost for crying out loud. :angry7: The dang DMV is only open from 8-4, I had to take the morning off and get reamed for the penalty too. :axe: peckerheads.... She had no interest in my documentation of the build and the fact that Colorado has a much more efficient vehicle on the road, lol.

I have a whole 25 miles on it but it's nice and quiet from the valve cover but the exhaust certainly has a performance tone around town. Oil is clean as a whistle (just checked it). All in all I'm very happy with the build. I'm kinda looking forward to getting this thing down to sea level on my trip to WI. :-D

BTW, the idle was just a little bit erratic to my ear at first but cleaned up quite a bit after a good thrash. :-D

What would have I done different so far? I would have used the Lunati cam I mentioned in the build, just reamed the 8mm guides out to 3/8" with quality SS valves in 1.92/1.60 with single square style keepers plus associated retainers and had the heads machined for the recommended Lunati valve springs. I think the OBDI computer would have no problem with the afformentioned changes and I feel that I left maybe 10-15 hp on the table by not doing this. :read2: Maybe an adjustable fuel presure regulator would have been required and the off idle performance would have been diminished a little bit, but I think it would have been a good trade off (right now it's a neck snapper, might be tough in the snow).

NBD, I have your poster too. :-D It just came in yesterday. :bootysha:

-
Back