The Makings of a Junkyard Boosted 273?

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
This is just me staring at all of the parts in my garage and thinking about potential projects I probably shouldn't be even think about doing even after I get my Dart back. But I do it anyways because it's fun. :D

I think I have the makings of a decent, junkyard boosted 273. Looking around in my garage, I've got a bunch of leftover parts from my 273 in the '68 Dart (which hasn't come back yet), my 360 that was just built into a 408 stroker, and some parts I've picked up here and there.

So here's what I'm thinking...

Block: The 273 block out of my Dart or the spare standard bore block that I have sitting in my garage.
Crank: Grind/polish the stock crank out of the 273 from my Dart or find a used one to clean up.
Rods: Use the rods out of the 273 from my Dart (would the rods out of my stock 360 work?)
Pistons: Forged 10.5:1 compression pistons
Heads: 360 heads with 1.88" intake valves off of a crate motor (should bring compression down in the 9's somewhere).
Rocker Arms: Adjustable rocker arms off 273.
Intake: Possibly use my Mopar M1 or just buy a cheap and used Weiland or Edelbrock Performer.
Carb: Blow-Thru Holley 750 off of my 360
Boost-Maker: Paxton Supercharger making 5-8 lbs of boost.

I'd imagine that engine could make at least 300 hp easily and would be a fun show piece that would ride to the moon Throw it in an early-A Wagon or Convertible? Maybe a Dodge Colt? Yeah! Fun, right? :D I'm so dead. Lol.

Someone else here was speculating the same idea, and contemplating if the popular Cummins turbos are 'about that size'

The good thing about my situation is that I'll have most of the parts. If I could find one of those "good deals" on a 318 or 360 for cheap (no more than $200) that would of course be more ideal. The pistons would probably be cheaper too.

I also have my stock crank from my 360. If I had it machined I could probably make a stroker out of the 318. I don't think anyone has put a 3.54" stroke in a 273.

-
Back