The More Door: A Classic Mopar Cruiser.

-
Today I stripped off a good bit of my suspension, and took it too my buddies auto shop to have them help me press and remove the tough bits

16%2B-%2B3

16%2B-%2B4

16%2B-%2B5

The lca pivot bushing sleeves were particularly tough. air chisels, bfh's, and torches needed to be used on several parts.

I ran into one bump in the road... when we removed the driver side hub, the retaining nut was not hand tight, and was missing the notched washer... upon further inspection it was found that the spindle was mangled to hell, and looked like it had been ground on.

I am in talks with a FABO member for the correct replacement part.

16%2B-%2B2

16%2B-%2B1

The potential for much awesomeness is here.

I'm doing an amateur resto on my 69 barracuda....over a thousand detail photos so...maybe you'll find some help there. Looking forward to seeing your engine bay done!

Thanks a lot yall, much work to be done, but I have been enjoying it.

I am about recieve my custom battery relocation and wiring upgrade kit from crackedback. And I just got in another heater core.

This Sunday my only goal is to drop the kframe, engine/ trans. If I can run speaker wire and start cleaning off the suspension for paint, I will be happy.

First phase is upgrade to a rebuilt 73 suspension with reinforced lcas and k, with power discs. Freshen the motor, upgrade elec, freshen interior, etc.

Second phase is rear suspension, audio, etc

its not the model, year, size of engine, or number of doors that matters... its the love that is found between car and owner!

love of our old cars is measured by the width of the smile on ya face driving down the road!?

fun is measured by the amount of pure enjoyment and feel of accomplishment in fixing our old cars!? any wealthy person can write a BIG check!???? IMO

Another benefit to this labor, is that it has been a chance to hangout with friends and share the project with others. Having a beer in the garage with friends while we get covered in nearly 50 year old rust and grease, talking about work, women and life.

Bit by bit through the project the girlfriend has been learning about autos, and I have been renewing an old passion.

Occasionally I find something unexpected needing repair or have a setback with getting parts, but it is all part of it.

I had a 70 Valiant with a 360 with W2s, TTI headers and Wilwood disc brakes. I wish I still had her.

Attachments

• 100_0243.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_0244.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_0248.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_0250.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 140
Okay, I am far overdue for updates... But things have really been creeping, due to one mishap or another, and only having sundays to work on this thing.

I now have my 73 k member, fully welded and firm feel reinforced, with new rubber spool mounts. After hours of pressure washing and degreasing, grinding and wire wheeling, I coated it inside and out as best I could, with rust fix converter, then sprayed heavily with rustoleum gloss black.

I picked up some aluminum mickey thompson valve covers from a FABO member, which i cleaned in a similar fashion, primed and painted high temp, cast iron color. I took a block sander to the paint over the raised designs.

16%2B-%2B1

Here is a picture of where i test fit them ontop of the motor, along with the FABO carter/ afb 600cfm elec choke I rebuilt, sitting on a 1" phenolic spacer. The 8mm accel wires were on my parts car, after stripping it down, i noticed the connections and wires were in awesome shape, just badly greased up.

I snagged qa1 aluminum adjustable strut rods off ebay, for less than $100 shipped.

I also ended up nabbing a 22" 3 core champion radiator of ebay for less than $150 shipped, after finding out that my radiators were both shot.

In that time, I turned in my cores for new/ rebuilt parts, including master cylinder/ power booster, calipers, rotors, steering gear box, etc. I went ahead and grabbed new brake hoses and power steering pressure line. As well as a carter oem replacement fuel pump.

All of my hardware was stripped and painted, including the steering centerlink.

Upon pulling my motor I encountered a few concerning oddities. Mainly... a rivet or screw in my oil pan... I subsequently tore the motor down further to inspect all bearings, and the cam... everything looked perfect. I torqued everything back down and installed a new oil pump. I am gonna go back though and install a windage tray, and timing chain tensioner, with my summit billet double roller timing chain... My engine did not have a timing oiler tab, and the ORIGINAL mopar nylon coated timing gear was chipped, cracked, and sloppy.

I did end up cutting some metal from my fenderwell, where the battery brackets were, as they were very rusted....

TO BE CONTINUED...

Lookin good man. You should sell off some parts from the other cars to help pay for your resto. That's how I got started and it helps a lot.

-
Back