The new 2015 Mustang is dazzling...WHEN WILL MOPAR ANSWER?!?!?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
First, no knocks are intended here against the current Challenger. It's a wonderful, lovable, beautiful car that is capable of some terrific performance. It's nearly universally loved by journalists, owners and onlookers for very good reasons. But it's also a big lunk and better suited for high speed cruising than racing, particularly when curved pavement is involved...and that's fine. It's just a different kind of performance car from the Camaro and Mustang.

The 2015 Mustang has been all over the news cycle in the past few days...the reaction is overwhelmingly positive from everyone I have talked to. It seems like there is money to be made in this segment!!

So...for the love of God, when will Chrysler get serious about competing here?

s550_gallery_804x510_music-man.jpg

s550_gallery_804x510_overhead-cement-three-quarter.jpg

Front end looks a little like a Chargers from a few yrs ago. Same open mouth look. Gotta hand it to Ford, producing 1 model of car under its own platform for 50 yrs.

Wish Chrysler would make a 2 dr charger to answer Ford and Chevy,

I think they are too bu$y promoting the Fiat line here in the states

MRGTX
I couldn't agree more! The new Mustang looks pretty cool but the front looks too much like a Fusion for me. You have to give Ford credit for making the car even lighter than before and still packing it with good Hp. I dig the looks of course of the new Challengers but Chrysler just made them too dam heavy! I owned a 2006 Mustang GT with the 4.6 and a five speed. It was a fun car to drive and ran strong for what it was. My dad bought a nice 2010 Challenger R/T with more Hp and weight... The Mustang would smoke it every time! Hopefully the upcoming new Cuda / Avenger will finally get things right for Ma Mopar!

Attachments

• Hawaii 158.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 003.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,128
First, I think the new Mustang is UGLY. 2nd I have little faith in the Fiat-owned Chrysler. My guess, they'll answer with a hatchback with a turbo 4cyl and call it a 'Cuda

I like it! I'll never afford a new car. The reason I bought a 93 mustang. I've been wondering were is a new Challenger T/A? A light nimble car to compete with the Boss and Zl1.

It's nearly universally loved by journalists, owners and onlookers for very good reasons.

Journalists are paid to make comments..all you have to do is look at the 'best whatever car" of the year....

Ah, no. To late coming, too heavy, too expensive...especially for the young folk.. and odd lines on the rear quarter...no convertible..I can go on..Mind you, I haven't liked the lines on the mustang since '10. Chrysler is way behind the curve....and has made major bad decisions..Chrysler has to wake up and smell the coffee..or Ford will trash them again..

I like it! I'll never afford a new car. The reason I bought a 93 mustang. I've been wondering were is a new Challenger T/A? A light nimble car to compete with the Boss and Zl1.

Same Here! A few years ago Mopar had the Challenger 1320 show car that was a street legal version of their super stock package! Hot Rod magazine tested it... I'm sure it's on you tube. Anyway I think it only weighed in around 3200 pounds and had the modified 6.1 Hemi in it. Shoot if the 5.7 R/T or the 6.4 SRT "Core" was in the 3200 or 3400 pound range...That's what they need for a new street fighter!

Attachments

• challenger1320sema_01_opt.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,404
I agree, long time MOPAR Owner/Enthusiast but sadly when looking for a fun reasonably priced used modern Muscle car I purchased a 05 Mustang GT 5spd.

Challenger too much $$ big and heavy, Charger is 4dr and no Manual Trans, Wished Magnum had a Manual Trans Option!

Always wanted Chrysler to do a Modern V10 Cuda, woulda been in line for that or a REAL Dart not this Dart uuggghhh

I've been a Ford guy since the 80's and have just recently got back into Mopars (hence the new Scamp). I drive a supercharged '12 GT daily, but I'm really getting tired of the same old thing. Do y'all think the planned major redesign for the Challenger in 2015 is going to be worth waiting for? The rumors all say shorter, narrower, much lighter, with improved versions of the Hemi. I could be a full blown "convert" if the new car ends up being a competitor. Otherwise, I may just pick up that Grand Cherokee SRT8 I've been watching.

I think new mustang looks boring. most new cars are...
computer calculates cars shape to get best mpg, no room for anything else
subaru brz has almost same shape and so does many other cars.

I've been a Ford guy since the 80's and have just recently got back into Mopars (hence the new Scamp). I drive a supercharged '12 GT daily, but I'm really getting tired of the same old thing. Do y'all think the planned major redesign for the Challenger in 2015 is going to be worth waiting for? The rumors all say shorter, narrower, much lighter, with improved versions of the Hemi. I could be a full blown "convert" if the new car ends up being a competitor. Otherwise, I may just pick up that Grand Cherokee SRT8 I've been watching.

Unfortunately from what I've been reading on Allpar... We will be getting a revised Challenger that will have more of the 71 Challenger styling to it which is cool but no weight reduction. That said they are working on a killer SRT Hellcat supercharged Hemi powered version rumored to be in the 650 + Hp range! But still heavy and very $$$$$. I don't think the truly new smaller and lighter platform Cuda / Challenger / Avenger is do out till 2017 or later.

IMO, there is no comparing the cars in the first place. The challenger always was big and didn't sell a fraction of the numbers of the camaro and mustang. If ultimate performwnce for minimum bucks is your goal, look elsewhere. But if you want classic style and brute force with modern reliability and convenience, look no further. It is what it was supposed to be.

I'd agree, it has a lot of similarities to the Scion FRS (Subaru BRZ).

2013-scion-fr-s-review.jpg

I'm itching to see how the rework of the Challenger ends up and other projects they have in the works, but I'm not holding my breath for a cheap(-ish), light, good-handling RWD car for Chrysler/Fiat any time soon.

I like how the new Mustang has the Jaguar/Aston style front end coupled with the 70's fastback rear. Honestly the only newer Mopar I will own is a Ram or a Jeep. Mopar has gone way down hill since the buy out and it will take a miracle like a actual track car that can go fast in a straight line and take a turn just as tight as a small import to dig themselves out of an ever growing deeper hole. I will stick with the true American Mopars from the past.

While I'm glad and thankful that Chrysler has finally returned with a rear drive V8 two door muscle car. I just think that after making us wait 20+ years for that to happen... they would have given us a more competitive vehicle performance wise. Maybe even set the benchmark for that class after all they had plenty of time away to get it right. The new Hemi engines make great power but they just need a lighter smaller platform to put them in. That said I do think they nailed the look of the Challenger other than the huge rear bumper on it.

Chrysler at least needs to let people tune their cars. How do the two companies compare in sales and over all budget. Can they afford to keep up with ford right now? Honestly I dingy know.

This is the very 1st thing I thought of when I saw the new Mustang Pics. Looks like a 2002 Hyundai Tiburon. Very disappointed. Then I thought, someone should let Ford know that Porsche called and said the 911 wants it's roofline back. The only good looking part of this car, IMO. Most Re-designs seem to do well, then bad, then well, then bad. Last one was good. This one, not so much. I'm talking style wise. Underneath it sounds pretty good though. I expect Mopar will make the move in this market with the Cuda. The timing looks right, a couple years out. The newer Camaro and Mustang will be loosing their luster, but not quite ready for re-design. The Dart has covered the small car segment. The Challenger covers the bigger segment. The Cuda should be just right.

Attachments

• hyundai.tiburon2002_01.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,218
You guys are arguing possibilities, probabilities and what ifs...how many prototypes have car manufactures made in the last bunch of years. Remember the mid engine corvette..Everything is irrelevant but the cars sitting in the lots..

And really, you cannot argue styling because everyone sees the cars different..but a Mustang and a Hyundai..really..

The bottom line is that the Mustang is kicking *** (again)...entry level is 20K...the v8s that more than enough power to satisfy everyone except the Tim the tool Mans and they get great millage..and they don't break down..the build quality is great..or at least mine is 6 years of fairly hard driving...just consumables.. oh, and they carry 4 comfortable.. And if you do not know what to look for...the low and and high end ones look the same to the public..

When I jump in mine I don't think of parts or tools..even for long trips..

Either Chrysler just doesn't get it ...or that the cars you are hoping for just won't pay the bills because the market is too small.. and that is the bottom line for the auto makers now..

I thought they had already decided against moving forward on the Cuda project?

I have to say that the mustang looks boring to me. I want my modern American muscle cars to look like muscle cars and not like two door versions of family sedans.
Ford is doing great things to compete with Japan and Europe in the power to weight ratio area but its really unfortunate that they are taming the look of the beast.

It is a bummer that the Challenger is so heavy and lacks the same power but by far its better looking than any "new age" muscle car so far.

I would like to see a lighter weight and smaller version of the challenger in the new cuda with more options like a 4,6,8, and supercharged 8.

-
Back