The Other 68 Dart Resto Project

-
well walk away til your not pissed and/or frustrated. its best to do that and come back with a fresh positive mindset.

man.........12,000+ views????? this thread is hot!!!!!!!!!!!

As of today I have owned my Dart for one year! \\:D/ I got it Nov 27, 2006. It came off the trailer, got pulled into the garage and I started stripping it down. I have actually never driven it on a public road, just around the parking lot. I missed my goal of getting it on the road before a year was up, but paint is coming very soon.

Now on to the work again:

I block sanded the trunk lid the other night to check for flatness, I found a dent and some dings, tiny, so a little glaze took care of them.

I put up another flourescent light to have a little more light to spray by, then I opened the the garage door, crunch! I hung the light from the door opener brackets, but I forgot to check for clearance. Oops! :scratch: I am going to have to move it to keep the door from hitting it.

Once I do that, I am going to do a final dust vacuming, wipedown, then tack ragging, then I can mask it off.

This weekend I am going to spray the car in Featherfill G2 primer. All the bodywork is coming to a rapid end. Sometime in the next few weeks I will spray sealer, then paint. I will post pics when its in primer! :thumblef:

well walk away til your not pissed and/or frustrated. its best to do that and come back with a fresh positive mindset.

man.........12,000+ views????? this thread is hot!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap! How did that happen? Guess there must be a lot of bored people to be watching me sand and bondo my Dart! :wink:

Keep up them High spirits sir!! Seem's like My younger brother did the same thing years ago to a 8 ft florescent getting ready to spray my truck.
I Hope this week end turns out to be your strong end flyboy01.:thumblef:
This has been a great build you have been sharing with us.
Hope you feel up to the week end and all go's well.
Go ahead and make a sign that reads " Keep out wet paint don't even think about taking a peek" Your hard work and dedication is inspiring.:notworth:

As a former paint and bodyman/antique car restorer for 20 plus years,i have to say you are doing an awsome job,keep it up.I do have to ask,youre not planning on using that cheap paint on your car are you?For all the hard work youve done so far,you will be very dissapointed ,very quickly.I can promise you,it will not hold up long at all.Get some GOOD paint,even if it is single stage urethane,then when you sand and buff it,it will last many,many years,and you will be very proud of what youve done.I hope you have been using a good brand urethane primer on that thing.Just my advice,keep up the good work!

ITS IN PRIMER! WOO HOO! All one color right now.

Unfortunately I can't get into Photobucket right now, I will post pics as soon as possible.

I am going to try attaching some small pics.

100_1715s.jpg

100_1727s.jpg

As a former paint and bodyman/antique car restorer for 20 plus years,i have to say you are doing an awsome job,keep it up.I do have to ask,youre not planning on using that cheap paint on your car are you?For all the hard work youve done so far,you will be very dissapointed ,very quickly.I can promise you,it will not hold up long at all.Get some GOOD paint,even if it is single stage urethane,then when you sand and buff it,it will last many,many years,and you will be very proud of what youve done.I hope you have been using a good brand urethane primer on that thing.Just my advice,keep up the good work!

I know you mean well, but I have specific reasons for using laquer paint. I cannot afford to have someone paint my car for me, I have to do it myself to save money, and I have to do it in my garage. People harrass me all the time about this. So I will list my reasons.

1. I live in an apartment and I am spraying my car in an attached apartment garage. I chose Laquer because it is a new formula, which is acetone based, so the solvent makes this paint very eco-friendly and very low odor. If I try to spray anything Urethane, I will get evicted because of the smell.

2. The duplicolor paint is much better than the old laquers, it is actually made by Sherwin Williams automotive paint division. It is a basecoat/clearcoat system.

3. I know that it is not as durable, but it will have a good shine after I wetsand and buff it, I have already done test panels, so I know how it will come out.

If anyone in the Dallas area wants to volunteer a place for me to paint it, I will gladly take them up on it and shoot a urethane. If not I am going to spray the laquer.

Finally some pics.

These are pics of the final masking and how my garage was setup. I made my own filter unit with two furnace filters, a cardboard box, and a 3000 cfm blower fan.

100_1713.jpg

100_1691.jpg

100_1699.jpg

100_1712.jpg

100_1710.jpg

100_1672.jpg

Bro...thats is looking real nice... keep up the good work.

JAson

Thanks. Can't wait to see your Dart.

I am going to try and get my boss to give me a day or two off this week so I can finish priming it, I still need a second and third coats.

man you are doing a great job. body work scares me
i was wondering how much body work you've done in the past.....doesn't look like your first time thats for sure.

Today I finished up. I gave the whole car 2 coats on every panel, except the rear quarters, they got 4 coats for block sanding. More boring pics.

100_1749.jpg

100_1747.jpg

100_1746.jpg

100_1745.jpg

100_1741.jpg

100_1739.jpg

100_1737.jpg

100_1732.jpg

100_1731.jpg

100_1730.jpg

Just wondering. Is there somebody we can't see in the background cracking a whip on your ***? I'm WAY too old to get things done as fast as you do without some real motivation & I think I want to see this thing in paint almost as bad as you do!

That looks freaking great man. I wish I could have done mine myself. You can come over and do my 68 Dart when you're finished. I'll even put you up in sunny SoCal while you work. haha

Wow FlyBoy, you are an inspiration to us all !

It is a joy to watch your project come along, you have put in a whole lot of hard work. Boy, bet you can't wait to get the ole girl finsihed & out on the road .

It still hard work and when you get it done you will be happy that you did ONLY Die Hard MOPARS

Dart64gt

Looking Good flyboy01.=D>
You have been keeping very busy on this project.
And I like the way you set up the fan.
This has been a great thread!! nothing boring at all.:toothy8:
Thanks for the great pic posts too.
Now take your time blocking and enjoy it as much as possible.
Keep up the great work and remember this is your peace of art.:glasses2:

I love how not only does he do amazing and difficult work, but he takes the time to take extremely detailed pictures of it all. Definitely a work of passion.

Looking GREAT flyboy. Those lines look great now, wait til they're blocked again.. Like everyone, waiting for color

Grant

-
Back