The price of racing.

-
How did the lady with the 340 Demon (or was it a Duster?) end up doing? She was getting competitive, wasn't she ?

Demon. I mistakenly called it a duster at least once and was corrected. She did ok. Our weather turned sour for some of the last races and a couple of long races. She’s now for a small motorhome for long weekends so she doesn’t have to drive home late at night. She and her husband had one before he passed away but it was older and to big. She even drove her daily driver to Norwalk Ohio to race in the Halloween Classic. Lol

Okay, maybe I should rephrase that. "Around here" most of us.

Speaking of Detroit I finally got caught up on street outlaws and watched some good racing between California and Detroit. California won but it came down to the last race. I take God for fast forward because I can’t handle the BS these guys lay out. The rules are beyond stupid when a guy that crosses the line, hits the other car, and barrel rolls on the opposite side of the track he started on wins. Same with the idiot from Detroit coming in front of the other car making him slow up to avoid hitting him loses the race. And that idiot is proud of winning. Lol.

I like the street car shoot outs and no prep at our local track. A good sum of the entry fees go to charity which is cool.

I also like nitrous for the fact that you can cruise around at 500hp all day and then crack the bottle and make 6-800hp without anything exotic. A 125 shot will really wake things up.

I'm 2/3 of the way done spending on my car before it even makes its first pass, it is expensive. Still have to build my trans, get driveshaft, gears, rear wheels and some Hoosiers. I'm building a car to run low tens.
Only real bonus is the strip is 20 miles away.

Its expensive and getting more so. I travel significant distances to run the class. Shortest is 2 1/2 hours. Longest 16 hours. The biggest cost is fuel for truck. Car is not high maintenance. The way I see it there will come a time were either financially or physically I won’t be able to do it. Until then, I going to collect good memories.
I must be doing something wrong. I break stuff all the time. On a test & tune Sat before eliminations on Sunday a track official asked if I could go get a car broke down in the return lane. He didn't have truck support. They asked me because they know I'm good at it. Lol. We strapped him up and got his car to his pit.

I know I would be more successful if I was just a little more talented? Primarily on the mechanics side.

Can’t shock the tire is much nicer to everything.

That's why i'm such a big fan of street/strip dual purpose cars......you get sooooo much more enjoyment out of your car.

My thought too.

With my work schedule I can't (bracket) race every weekend, I work two, then off two. Then there is the wife so that takes some weekend time too. She'll go and never complain, but I know she'd rather watch paint drying. I've ran heads up street car shoot out type stuff and have done pretty well, if they run a n/a class my car does very well. My local track started running boosted and n/a cars in the same class, now it seems I'm fodder for a lot of them.

I've considered selling the Dart and buying a newer Challenger or a nice driver A body. I'm afraid I'll get bored though.

I’m glad I got past my street car days because I would have been probably jailed once or twice by now. Now I limited myself to under 20 mph over the speed limit usually. I do get a kick out of merging on to expressways and bypasses. If it’s 65mph I’m usually entering around 85.

I’m glad I got past my street car days because I would have been probably jailed once or twice by now. Now I limited myself to under 20 mph over the speed limit usually. I do get a kick out of merging on to expressways and bypasses. If it’s 65mph I’m usually entering around 85.
Yes its not cheap but its all I have known and done for the last 35 years and were I have met most of my best friends. So I will be at it for years to come. I will be 68 in a few months and have friends in their mid 70s that still race. I will always find a way to afford to race but not at the expense of other obligations. I am retired but work a little part time to fund my racing operation. I am fortunate I guess to have my D150 as a " street car " for cruise nights , shows and I race it on occasion also. Its fun but after awhile the cruise night thing gets boring but its something to do between race dates and if the wife is working late

3F65EE3C-9F4C-46BD-872B-3A39D9B7304D.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is built as a dual purpose street/strip car. I just didn't want a car I could only race like once a month at each event. Now, I cruise it to cruise nights, car shows, and drive it to work with a pump gas engine and spray it at the track events.

My thought too.

With my work schedule I can't (bracket) race every weekend, I work two, then off two. Then there is the wife so that takes some weekend time too. She'll go and never complain, but I know she'd rather watch paint drying. I've ran heads up street car shoot out type stuff and have done pretty well, if they run a n/a class my car does very well. My local track started running boosted and n/a cars in the same class, now it seems I'm fodder for a lot of them.

I've considered selling the Dart and buying a newer Challenger or a nice driver A body. I'm afraid I'll get bored though.
A newer car would be an automatic no for me, I do have a daily when the weather is nice type driver in my 71 Demon 340 4 speed car which I do enjoy but it sure is lacking in the HP department, LOL

Fast cars on the street are like most things in life, do stupid things and win stupid prizes.
A newer car would be an automatic no for me, I do have a daily when the weather is nice type driver in my 71 Demon 340 4 speed car which I do enjoy but it sure is lacking in the HP department, LOL

That's what I'm afraid will bore me. I've never talked to a real gear head that said I want to slow down, LOL. Maybe when I get older, who knows.

It's why so many run Sportsman class. They go a few years before even freshening up a stock long block - easy to find small block. Rarely does the Sportsman class oil down the track. A true 350 HP in a 3,000 lbs car with 4.56's. A stock 727 will go several years without refreshing in this kind of car. Very little heat to 28x10 slick helps their life too...

Still( in most cases) have to pay the gas to tow the car to the track, trailer, track entry fees, gas of some sort for the car, refreshments, food, ice, you name it.
Almost impossible these days to go to a race and have less than a couple hundred bucks in it…unless you are a rare guy who drives his car there and lives around the corner from the track.
If its a weekend event…its more.

This might be my last year of racing. With prices the way they are its just getting to expensive. Everything to race has went up substantially. Gas prices, tires are up, all engine parts, it's just gotten crazy. Some things have went up more than 50%. Hope it changes in the future. But it isn't good now.

Yeah, it’s getting tougher and tougher. Here’s the expense breakdown, for a weekend at RFR, in Wisconsin.
Entry $150 (2 day event)
Gate $30 (Both of us)
Buybacks $100. ($50 per day, only variable expense. Worse case scenario)
Gamblers race $100 (again, 2 days)
Motel $85, includes $10 for our pooch.
Inexpensive dinner $25
Tow fuel $163 (250 mile round trip, 5 mpg)
Race gas $100 ($10 per gal)
That’s over $700 folks. How many weekends can I afford? Maybe 1, possibly 2.

As far as engine budgets there are deals out there. I paid 7500.00 for my R3 block, 360-1 heads, Wiseco Pistons, Eagle 4 inch crank and H- Beam rods, all balanced and bored, .650 lift solid lifter cam and Shubeck lifters. I sold those lifters and bought EDM lifters and put the money towards an oil pan. Indy intake was also included. That combo went 9.42 (5.98) and lasted five years without as much as valve spring issues. Well I just tore it apart and sold the Eagle crank and rods to a friend for 550.00 and put that money towards a Molnar crank and rods. So budget builds can be done and last. That same build could be done a lot cheaper with a stock block.

If I was a car cruise, car show type of guy I wouldn’t have anything to talk about being I’ve never had an engine on a DYNO. Lol

One could always race a 170 in a early A. Cut the price of gas fur sure !!! Give you more track time as well :D

Seems to me it was always expensive compared to my paychecks!. We are spoiled out here, 15-20 minutes to a major track and 5-6 others within 45 minutes few hours. Even with all that there is no way I could own a car I cant drive on the street. If I cant fire that beast up on a dry day and rumble around for a while then to me its just not worth having since I'm not happy with a true single purpose car.

Things have gone up and typically do over the years but definitely in this last year everything has skyrocketed. It's almost like the people in power are making up for the four years they didn't get to screw us

Think about how much they steal aka 'appropriate' that comes right back to them.

Its intentional, no if ands or buts about it.

Things have gone up and typically do over the years but definitely in this last year everything has skyrocketed. It's almost like the people in power are making up for the four years they didn't get to screw us

Think about how much they steal aka 'appropriate' that comes right back to them.

Its intentional, no if ands or buts about it.
Oh the Demoncrats are straight evil and everything they do to hurt this country and it's residents are done with intention..........shouldn't be too long now and that dumbass Lead will show up spouting his support for "pedo" Joe

-
Back