the right intake

-

farmer260

73 Dart Sport
Reaction score
ok i have a 60 over 360 with eddy heads solid cam and 10.5 to 1 compression. what would be a good intake for me? i will be doing 95% street driving. i have a eddy performer rpm intake but i hear that is not much good! what should i get? i dont want to spend 400 bucks but i want something good!

the guy who built the engine said i should get a victor. i was thinking of that or maybe even a mopar intake. i would just like to get the most out of the engine

The victor is great if its going to see a lot of track time but it will kill your low end torque. If you have the rPM may as well try it and see how it is before spending $300 on an intake. If the builder really feels you need a victor tell him to pony up the cash. Cant beat a good dual plane for the street.

The victor is great if its going to see a lot of track time but it will kill your low end torque. If you have the rPM may as well try it and see how it is before spending $300 on an intake. If the builder really feels you need a victor tell him to pony up the cash. Cant beat a good dual plane for the street.

Yeah, the RPM Performer is a great dual plane intake suited for the street. The Victor`s more of a strip intake. I agree you`d be better off with the dual plane if 95% of your time in the car is spent driving on the street.

Also depends on what gears you plan on running? Auto or manual? If auto, what stall? What is the RPM range of the cam? Is it true 10.5:1 compression or just 10.5:1 pistons?

the engine was built to have about 10.5 to 1 and its a man. trans with 2.92 gears. the cam should kick in at 2500 or so

well with the eddy heads that equates to about 9.5 to 1. ditto on keeping the rpm. now if it was a 408 and more track time, victor definitely.

HEY WAIT!

2.92 gears and a cam that kicks in at around 2500 or so!?!?!?

YOU DO NOT NEED A VICTOR!!!! No way no how1 The gears are to dead and the intake is a serious hi RPM single plenum. That intake doesn't think of anything below 3500.

What exact cam do you have?
Has any porting been done to the head?

The RPM is a freakin excellent street intake. It gives nothing up to the single plane intakes in it's RPM range and will handle large cams.

That builder is nuts!!!!!!!!!!

HEY WAIT!

YOU DO NOT NEED A VICTOR!!!! No way no how1 The gears are to dead and the intake is a serious hi RPM single plenum. That intake doesn't think of anything below 3500.

The RPM is a freakin excellent street intake. It gives nothing up to the single plane intakes in it's RPM range and will handle large cams.

My thoughts exactly. What kind of a engine builder recommends a strip designed intake that doesn't come on until 3500 rpm for use on a street car with 2.92 gears???? You'll be going 35-40 before it ever hits the power band.

I have 2 suggestions.

1. Stay with the RPM intake.

2. Find a new engine builder.

HEY WAIT!

My thoughts exactly. What kind of a engine builder recommends a strip designed intake that doesn't come on until 3500 rpm for use on a street car with 2.92 gears???? You'll be going 35-40 before it ever hits the power band.

I have 2 suggestions.

1. Stay with the RPM intake.

2. Find a new engine builder.

3/8 pushrods, a victor on a heavy car, 2. rear gears, 2500+ cam sounds like a series of mismatch parts to me.

The RPM is a good manifold and would run circles around a Victor in your case, IMHO. When you build something, you need to keep intended use in mind. Matching the comp0nents to a RPM range is one way to do it. You have some recommendations from this guy that are all over the map. To take it to an extreme, would you put a tunnel ram with 2 dominators on a motorhome towing a 30ft trailer? Of course not. It's not appropriate for the intended usage. Same thing going on here.

Might put a good 100 shot of nitrous on it to get to the power band when down low. That's going to be a tough car to drive if a 4 speed. It will lug all over the place at low rpm's.

Sounds like a good build for a Comp XE262H or 268H or similar, performer RPM and a smalllish AFB style carb. You need torque.

I hope for the best on this build.

farmer260, these guy's are telling you the straight scoop. Stick with the dual plane and if you take the car to the track, stick a 1 or 2 inch spacer under the carb. That will raise the effective rpm of the intake a little. Those gears have to go. Good for a cruise on the highway and gas mileage, but thats about it. If you are running an 8 3/4 there will be a 741 shur-grip centersection with 3.23 gears (which can possibly be changed to 3.91's) coming up in the next auction for Marvin. I know this because it is in my garage right now. Remember, shipping to you is dirt cheap because I will be going up to see Marvin in Fredericton.

Jack

i dont know if my builder is nuts! i may be though! sorry my number might not be right on! i dont have the engine specs right in front of me.

Stay with the RPM , go ahead and add the 1" spacer that will divide the carb up better, take the $400 at put in a Suregrip in with atleast 3.55,3.91 gears. That would be the best $400 your ever spent.

i got a powertrax locker and i think i will do the gears this winter! i have enough on my plate for this summer already! i will do good to get my car back on the road by the end of the month as it is.

i need to print out a copy of my specs all on one page so i dont get confused and i stop confuseing u guys! my builder and his father know their stuff! i dont know much when iy comes to all these numbers but im learning! thanks for all you help guys!

NOt sure if your builder just didn't know what gear ratio you were running when you had the motor built. But I would agree that the RPM is the better choice at this time.

-
Back