the right tranni fluid?

-

74Dart_Girl

Reaction score
I've got a 74 dart swinger with a 225 slant six in it.. im assuming the tranni is a torque flite. Being new to the car I went to Lordco (parts chain in BC like NAPA ) and asked for the appropriate fluid. He gave me ATF +4, is this the correct fluid? It states on the label that it is NOT recommended for automatic transmissions where DEXRON 111 , DEXRON 11 E, DEXRON 11, DEXRON, MERCON or type F transmission fluid..

Really dont wanna cook a tranni for lack of education...:-k

unfotunatly.. its currently in my tranni.... im guessing its time to drain it again? luckily I havent driven it, ive only put it through the gears to top it off... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

it's still a hyd fluid cant imagine it would do much damage to an old TF we used to run type-F in them to make them shift harder.

it's still a hyd fluid cant imagine it would do much damage to an old TF we used to run type-F in them to make them shift harder.
i run atf4 in all my 904/727s for years and it works excellent. there is no need to drain it out. we used to run type F all the time as well

Dexron IV and ATF+4 are very good fluids for the Torqueflite.
They are both synthetic fluids,and pricey as you found out.
I use the Dexron IV. Dexron is what our cars came with from the factory.

Did you drain and replace all the fluid ?

nope I kept the fluid.. if its fine, then ill leave it.. not really wanting to drop the pan and drain the torque converter if I dont need too..:D

X however many times.
It's not going to hurt anything, as these things will run all of them and the only difference you would notice is a small change in the shift firmness.

ATF+4 is a superior fluid. Fully synthetic w/ more friction than Type F (what I used to use). It can't hurt your Torqueflite because the later A-413 front-wheel drive tranny (in my Voyager) is also a Torqueflite, almost indentical internally, and it uses ATF-4. I use Autozone's store brand since probably from the same factory and says "synthetic".

The only reason to use Dexron is if you really want to save $1/qt for inferior fluid. A lot of Chrysler V-6 minivans were messed up because shops put in Dexron since the owner's manual said "OK to use Dexron if you can't find ATF". It caused the lockup torque converter to shudder, wearing out the clutch plates.

its good to see so many agree on the atf+4 this time around. this turned into a huge debate the last time this was brought up

ATF 4 is fine. It's expensive. That's why they sold it to you.

Not to high jack this thread... But after pulling out my driveshaft I lost a lot of my fluid. I had no idea what to buy so I bought ATF+4. Well I then called the place that build my tranny to be safe. They said to use any of the Dextrons. Now my question is... Since I already bought the Atf +4 can I mix the two? I assume they must have use Dextron then when they built it.
It sure seems these trannys can take anything.

They would run on used motor oil.

ATF+4 is a superior fluid. Fully synthetic w/ more friction than Type F (what I used to use). It can't hurt your Torqueflite because the later A-413 front-wheel drive tranny (in my Voyager) is also a Torqueflite, almost indentical internally, and it uses ATF-4. I use Autozone's store brand since probably from the same factory and says "synthetic".

The only reason to use Dexron is if you really want to save $1/qt for inferior fluid. A lot of Chrysler V-6 minivans were messed up because shops put in Dexron since the owner's manual said "OK to use Dexron if you can't find ATF". It caused the lockup torque converter to shudder, wearing out the clutch plates.

ATF+4 does not have more friction than type F (Ford).
The reason people used Type F In Chrysler cars was for the friction
ie (firmer shifts).Many people used Type F at the track,but because of the extra friction tranny rebuilds happened much quicker.

There is absolutely no reason "NOT" to use Dexron in your older torqueflite.
Dexron is what was used from the factory.Dexron IV is the top of the line dexron today,and is a synthetic.

Dexron IV or ATF+4 are both great,synthetic fluids for the torqueflite.

The parts guy sold you ATF+4 because it was the most expensive fluid on the shelf.

Or used burgerking french fry oil.
gun oil
mink oil
Whale oil
sewing machine oil

I don't know if I could bring myself to do that with only one quart.
I know for a fact that it won't hurt anything, but just the principal of it is what I don't like I guess.

or brake fluid

Or used burgerking french fry oil.
gun oil
mink oil
Whale oil
sewing machine oil

I don't know if I could bring myself to do that with only one quart.
I know for a fact that it won't hurt anything, but just the principal of it is what I don't like I guess.

lol, ive known of those who have dumped a pint of brake fluid in a slipping leaky trans and it will swell the seals lol

It'll temporarily fix a (no reverse when cold) also, since it swells all the rubber parts inside the trans.

I know someone who put a cup of glass bead in some total *****'s engine.

lol, ive known of those who have dumped a pint of brake fluid in a slipping leaky trans and it will swell the seals lol

Lol, some of the replies. I think a TF would run on anything under 50 weight.

Have run Ford, Dex, +4; all the same. I would bet that; marvel mystery oil, Singer sewing machine oil, wd40, would work. great tranny.

Should I mix the Dextron with the ATF +4 then? It's one quart.

No.....I would get a quart of Dexron II or Dexron III.

ATF+4 Is a synthetic. Doesn't make sense to mix it with Dexron. Plus it's like
$6.00 a quart. :-k

Now if you drained the entire trans/converter, that would be a different story.

-
Back