The saga continues

-

0ld school

Reaction score
Trying to get my mechanical clutch linkage working right. It's a big block in my 68 Barracuda. Bought all new linkage from Brewers for the application. You can see the angle of the clutch Fork push rod is at a steep angle and not level. When I push in the clutch it wants to push the fork up and bind.
It looks like the arm that the fork Rod connects to needs to go up about 2 inches to make the push rod level. In the second photo you can see that Z bar is level so I know I'm good there. Any ideas??

KIMG0405.jpg

KIMG0406.jpg

Yeah that's not right
Obviously the frame end looks right. But the other end is waaay too long. Assuming the fork is properly indexed to the TO bearing and properly clipped, and that neither the engine nor the tranny are jacked up from stock,And it does look about perfect from the rear, then you are looking at getting a different Z-bar, or modding this one.
Very nice pics.
The fork looks well centered in the access port, and the outboard end seems to be correctly located vertically,if a tad high. So I'm going with wrong Z-bar. But the rear picture seems to indicate something between the z-bar lower pivot, and the bellhouse, that might prevent a shorter bar from working. Is there something there or is it just perspective?
The more I look at it, the more I'm thinking that the fork is too high. Perhaps the wrong pivot bracket has been installed in the bellhouse. There are several to choose from. You may have to re-engineer yours

Last edited:
Trying to get my mechanical clutch linkage working right. It's a big block in my 68 Barracuda. Bought all new linkage from Brewers for the application. You can see the angle of the clutch Fork push rod is at a steep angle and not level. When I push in the clutch it wants to push the fork up and bind.
It looks like the arm that the fork Rod connects to needs to go up about 2 inches to make the push rod level. In the second photo you can see that Z bar is level so I know I'm good there. Any ideas??

View attachment 1715032052

View attachment 1715032053
Just a quick question do you have the half ball at the end that goes into the clutch fork .

Looks like it needs to go up and in to the block so I would bend the arm on the z bar, it will shorten the throw but it still should be enough.

Food for thought. I know that things are alittle different for an A body big block 4spd. Did you get everything for a big block A body ?

Is the fork pivot correct? Is the fork in the pivot and on the release bearing properly?

Year one lists a couple of different Z bars for A bodies. I have an e body and where the clutch rod connects to z bar is straight and much shorter than what you have. A shot in the dark, could it be on wrong? Sometimes there are 2 ways to get something done

-
Back