The Summit shopping cart

-

JohnnyRingo

Reaction score
So I'm about to drop some cash on parts for my project. I never really thought this all out before I really jumped into this and how much it was going to cost but I think it'll be worth it overall.

So the 360 E58 is sitting in the garage right now soaking in degreaser/oven cleaner. Once I get that thing all washed and cleaned up and painted, this is what I'm looking at throwing on it, listed in no particular order:

Cloyes 9-1103 Double roller timing chain and gear
Mopar cast aluminum valve covers
Doug's D453 headers
Edelbrock Performer 21763 Intake manifold
New Summit brand alternator
Edelbrock 1406 carburetor

Also some new gaskets/plug wires/alternator bracket

What say the masses, seem like a decent set of gear to throw at this? I figure the cam in the E58 is already more than sufficient for what I want--a street car that can light the tires when I want.

All going into a 67 Dart, by the way.

Any input/criticism is welcomed, as I know nothing about nothing :)

Kyle

for gears, my favorite is 3:55's they are great for city and hwy if money does not matter use a 489 case and buy brand new 3:73's for a little more off the line

Have you looked into the performer RPM instead of the performer? The performer has smaller ports than the stock 360 manifold. Also after owning the edelbrock 1406. I would look into a different carb. I personally like the 750 summit vac secondary carb. It is so far my favorite street carb that I have used. I think now would be the time to put a cam in it, the factory cam is not that great. I think this with a set of comp 901 springs would be awesome http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-CL710991-08/ for a driver. My favorite gear is 3.91s but if its driven on the freeway much I would look at 3.23 or 3.55.

I'm not familiar with what the RPM or Air Gap is or does, but I'm guessing it provides more power?

A better intake then the performer (it has bigger runners for the 340 size and up). I have the performer Rpm airgap intake on my 340.

Have you looked into the performer RPM instead of the performer? The performer has smaller ports than the stock 360 manifold. Also after owning the edelbrock 1406. I would look into a different carb. I personally like the 750 summit vac secondary carb. It is so far my favorite street carb that I have used. I think now would be the time to put a cam in it, the factory cam is not that great. I think this with a set of comp 901 springs would be awesome http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-CL710991-08/ for a driver. My favorite gear is 3.91s but if its driven on the freeway much I would look at 3.23 or 3.55.

I was under the impression that the cam in the E58 was a pretty decent cam that necessarily wouldn't need replacing. I'm completely lost on cams and all the numbers and what's required with replacing them. That area of engines is probably the most foreign to me.

I am going with that Summit carb though over the Edelbrock, surprisingly it's $50 cheaper too and seems like a better carb than the 1406. Also going with the RPM Air Gap intake manifold over the Performer manifold (also cheaper than the Performer).

Well if i remember right the e58 had the 340 cam? Its not a bad cam its just old technology. It would do OK but a modern cam with similar specs should have more power and economy. The cam i have listed should have a noticable idle, but make more power everywhere in a streetable rpm range.

Hmmm ok...I think I might be getting a little ahead of myself for now. On one hand I would want to replace all these things while the engine is out, but at the same time not really sure if I'd want to tackle replacing the timing chain/gears and camshaft at the moment. The engine is a fairly low mileage, good running engine, so I think I might stick with what's inside of it for now and go with the other parts. Then maybe down the road go ahead and replace the camshaft/timing chain

I think it will still be a strong runner annyways, and a cam isnt too hard to change down the road. I think you will be happy with the other parts you chose. let us know how it runs.

I think it will still be a strong runner annyways, and a cam isnt too hard to change down the road. I think you will be happy with the other parts you chose. let us know how it runs.

Absolutely, thanks for the advice, definitely appreciated. Glad that the Summit carb and Air Gap RPM manifold were pointed out before I made the order.

Really glad I turned to this site too on dad's advice, it has definitely steered me in the right direction on a couple of things. You guys are great.

-
Back