The Superbird Wing Was Not "Idiotically-Ineffective" or "Dumb"

-
But,

Don't you think it was a 'tad' too much for a street driven car.

Many of the Plymouth Dealerships couldn't unload these
Banana Boats during 1970.

What's the difference? Look how much they are worth now... #-o :glasses7:

I love them, my dad had a friend that had one back in the day 440 4 barrel but he said that once you got to around 90 you can feel the car lower down and do what it's suppose to do.

My bad, not 200 but 2.000 had to be built :glasses7: Thank you Karl :cheers:

The actual production was:

392 Charger 500
505 Daytonas
1971 Superbirds

The requirements for Nascar on 69 was for a 500 units built.

They took the last of the Charger 500 and had them converted to Daytonas, so they didn't have to pay for the difference to be made for the Daytonas, since the Charger 500 was the base for the Daytona.

(We're talking the one year only 69 Charger 500, not the trim package Charger 500 available in later years. True Charger 500's had the back window to be flush with the back of the back pillars, not recessed like all other production Chargers which was send out and done after the factory)

Chrysler played "hide-the-coconut" with Nascar officials. They had the Charger 500's parked in a few different lots. While they were counting cars in one lot, they would move them to another lot to be counted again. Some cars were counted twice to fudge for the difference in the Nascar requirement and how many they had actually shipped/sold.

In 1970 Nascar changed the requirements to one per dealer. There were 1,921 dealers in the US, and 50 dealers in Canada for a total production of 1,971 Superbirds.

Exacto Mundo ^^^^^

"Good Answer. Good Answer. I'm going to be watching you." ...... Sam Kinison

Interesting, Superbirds and Daytonas were only made with 440's and HEMIs...

Must not be the original engine...

It could be like the 1968 Road Runner '440 Super Commando' or
1969 GTX with the '383 Road Runner' engine.

They're out there, like some people claim.............:banghead:

I love them, my dad had a friend that had one back in the day 440 4 barrel but he said that once you got to around 90 you can feel the car lower down and do what it's suppose to do.

It depends on what angle that you tilt the vertical stabilizer bar for the wing. They had an allen bolt that you could loosen and change the angle of the wing.

It could be like the 1968 Road Runner '440 Super Commando' or
1969 GTX with the '383 Road Runner' engine.

They're out there, like some people claim.............:banghead:

No, they are not original.

Base engine on the Daytona & Charger 500 was the 440 4bbl, and the only option was the Hemi.

Superbirds were made with 440 4 bbl, 440 6 pack, and Hemi ONLY...

"Economy versions not available"....

No, they are not original.

Base engine on the Daytona & Charger 500 was the 440 4bbl, and the only option was the Hemi.

Superbirds were made with 440 4 bbl, 440 6 pack, and Hemi ONLY...

"Economy versions not available"....

Hold On,

I know a guy, who has a friend, who know's a guy, who used to drive for
Anchor Motor Freight delivering Plymouth's to the dealerships in the Northeast.

He knows a guy who purchased the 'only' Plymouth Superbird with a '383'.

It must be true........ He told my friend.

We have a 70 383 4 speed bird in town, Just saying ..

I've never seen a wing car in person and didn't even know there was one in Arkansas... that's pretty cool. For having half a million people in NWA I don't see many cool Mopars...but I do know where a barn is that has a '71 Roadrunner in it :glasses7:

Back in the 80's, there was an old guy I saw every morning for years at 7-11 getting coffee in his!
It was red and pretty beat, but wing and nose cone complete...he told me he bought it new....

That was his everyday car!

:burnout:

Back in the 80's, there was an old guy I saw every morning for years at 7-11 getting coffee in his!
It was red and pretty beat, but wing and nose cone complete...he told me he bought it new....

That was his everyday car!

:burnout:

Car & Driver did a road test years ago on an all-original one. The original owner was a contractor who used his car as his company vehicle- they said it still had the scratches on the roof and the spoiler fron the guy carrying sheets of plywood with it lol.

I had an opportunity to buy a used orange Superbird in 1979 for $1,500!! It was a mint original survivor with 440 4-barrel. I was 17 years old at the time and tried to float a loan from my father to buy it. He took one look at the car and said "what the hell do you want with a car like that" I proceeded to explain to him how limited the production was and that it will only increase in value...........no luck talking him into it.
I drive past the spot where that car was for sale every day on my way to work. I still see it sitting there like it was 1979.

It depends on what angle that you tilt the vertical stabilizer bar for the wing. They had an allen bolt that you could loosen and change the angle of the wing.

True forgot about the Alan bolt for the adjuster, course didn't the nascar ones have a split wing adjuster?

I had an opportunity to buy a used orange Superbird in 1979 for $1,500!! It was a mint original survivor with 440 4-barrel. I was 17 years old at the time and tried to float a loan from my father to buy it. He took one look at the car and said "what the hell do you want with a car like that" I proceeded to explain to him how limited the production was and that it will only increase in value...........no luck talking him into it.
I drive past the spot where that car was for sale every day on my way to work. I still see it sitting there like it was 1979.

That SUCKS!

Back in the late 70's and early 80's Cudas, Chargers, GTXs.....they were a dime a dozen....I drooled over them but was just a little too young to really get one.....I was 12 in '79!

~ Test Question of the Day ~

For all you 1970 Plymouth Superbird 'experts'.

What was the dimension specifications of the Rear-Deck Wing.

* Height of Wing {From the Trunk-Deck to Top of the Air-Foil Wing}
* Air-Foil Wing > Width and Length
* {Vertical Supports} > Width and Height

* Weight of 'complete' Rear-Deck Wing assembly.

* Air-Foil Wing > Type of Material
* {Vertical Supports} > Type of Material

* How many bolts to fasten each {Vertical Support}.

* How many under-deck support braces in Trunk.

I will be checking, because I have 'all' the answers.

~ Test Question of the Day ~

For all you 1970 Plymouth Superbird 'experts'.

What was the dimension specifications of the Rear-Deck Wing.

* Height of Wing {From the Trunk-Deck to Top of the Air-Foil Wing}
* Air-Foil Wing > Width and Length
* {Vertical Supports} > Width and Height

* Weight of 'complete' Rear-Deck Wing assembly.

* Air-Foil Wing > Type of Material
* {Vertical Supports} > Type of Material

* How many bolts to fasten each {Vertical Support}.

* How many under-deck support braces in Trunk.

I will be checking, because I have 'all' the answers.

Why is everything a contest with you??? #-o

Post your info. Why play games??? :violent1:

Then if someone posts an opinion different from yours or proves you wrong, you won't even acknowledge it and keep trying to force your opinion on us... :wack:

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, I know alot about these cars, but refuse to play your games...

View attachment wrong.jpg

Games,

What games.

If you don't know the Specifications, just say so.

Special Braces for the Vertical Support Stanchion's

Mounted in the trunk compartment, under the deck area of
the Stanchion's.

Placed against the inner-side of the 'back' rear Quarter-Panel.

These support-braces helped keep the quarter-panel from buckling
under high-speed, as well as providing the anchor-support for
the Stanchion.

http://image.hotrod.com/f/36302031+...-o+1970-plymouth-superbird+trunk-interior.jpg

Why is everything a contest with you??? #-o

Post your info. Why play games??? :violent1:

Then if someone posts an opinion different from yours or proves you wrong, you won't even acknowledge it and keep trying to force your opinion on us... :wack:

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, I know alot about these cars, but refuse to play your games...

View attachment 1714816972

Whenever "all" is used, you know the BS is likely overflowing. :)

-
Back