The time has come....

-

Raupleminze

Reaction score
Alright,

My brother and I are ready to attempt getting his car off of the jig and onto the ground. Right now the rear end is the only driveline component in the car. We are hoping to use an engine hoist to bring the car up and install the engine/trans together on the K frame. Does anybody have any advice for doing it this way?

We also have to set up the entire front suspension and that is what is more intimidating. I believe that we have all of the necessary parts and hardware to get this done. But we aren't too familiar with the installation of torsion bars and everything. Anyone have any links to a thread or magazine article that is a step by step for this entire process. We are determined to get this done within the next couple of weeks. Thanks in advance!

What part of IL are you guys in? The t bars just slide in through the cross member into the lower control arms. If you are going to put it in as a unit your going to need a dolly that is high enough to clear the legs of the hoist for starters.

Very cool....good luck!

I remember you had a 70 Coronet a few years ago right? I was interested in buying it off you at the time. What ever happened to it? I actually wish Imwould have bought it instead of my 67 Dart I ended up buying. Paid too much for it but it was local to me and easier logistically. Sold it in 2009. Got a Duster now that I love but sure did like your Coronet.

Actually I'm not far from McHenry if you need any help or need tech info we can swap #'s via PM

I may have some pics that I took of doing this with my Duster. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will look them up for you.
It was a pretty easy install. With the rear in, I used an engine hoist to lift the front high enough to clear the engine. I had the engine and tranny mounted to the K frame and on a dolly. Lifted the front, rolled the dolly under it and lowered the body in place.
C

What part of IL are you guys in? The t bars just slide in through the cross member into the lower control arms. If you are going to put it in as a unit your going to need a dolly that is high enough to clear the legs of the hoist for starters.

McHenry

Very cool....good luck!

I remember you had a 70 Coronet a few years ago right? I was interested in buying it off you at the time. What ever happened to it? I actually wish Imwould have bought it instead of my 67 Dart I ended up buying. Paid too much for it but it was local to me and easier logistically. Sold it in 2009. Got a Duster now that I love but sure did like your Coronet.

Were you the guy that stopped by with your wife? I sold the car on eBay years ago. It went to a Classic Car dealer in Texas. Yeah that coronet was a fun car, I miss it from time to time.

Make a big C channel out of some material welding it together and attach it via the front bumper bracket attaching bolts. Angle iron, 1.5" box, whatever. Just make sure it's sufficient wall thickness.

Bolting two bars in and using a chain will pinch the frame rails in as it picks the car up. Seen a few cars screwed up doing that.

Make a big C channel out of some material welding it together and attach it via the front bumper bracket attaching bolts. Angle iron, 1.5" box, whatever. Just make sure it's sufficient wall thickness.

Bolting two bars in and using a chain will pinch the frame rails in as it picks the car up. Seen a few cars screwed up doing that.

I was planning on bolting the chain to the front bumper brackets, that should be ok right?

I was planning on bolting the chain to the front bumper brackets, that should be ok right?

Nope, you may pinch the rails in.

If you are going to use the brackets, take a piece of steel, bridge across the brackets and bolt it on. Lift from the crossbar.

-
Back