The "W" in Christmas

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Each December, I vowed to make Christmas a calm and peaceful [FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]experience.[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]I had cut back on nonessential obligations - extensive card writing,[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]endless baking, decorating, and even overspending..[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Yet still, I found myself exhausted, unable to appreciate the[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]precious family moments, and of course, the true meaning of [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Christmas[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif].[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]My son, Nicholas, was in kindergarten that year. It was an exciting [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]season for a six year old.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]For weeks, he'd been memorizing songs for his school"s Winter [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Pageant.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd be working the night of the [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]production, unwilling to miss his shining moment, I spoke with his [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Teacher, she assured me there would be a dress rehearsal the morning of [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]the presentation.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]All parents unable to attend that evening were welcome to come then.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Fortunately, Nicholas seemed happy with the compromise.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]So, the morning of the dress rehearsal, I filed in ten minutes [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]early, found a spot on the cafeteria floor and sat down. Around the room I saw several other parents quietly scampering to their seats.

As I waited, the students were led into the room. Each class, accompanied by their teacher, sat cross-legged on the floor. Then, each group, one by one, rose to perform their song.

Because the public school system had long stopped referring to the holiday as "Christmas," I didn't expect anything other than fun, commercial entertainment songs of reindeer, Santa Claus, snowflakes and good cheer.

So, when my son's class rose to sing, "Christmas Love," I was slightly taken aback by its bold title.

Nicholas was aglow, as were all of his classmates, adorned in fuzzy mittens, red sweaters, and bright snowcaps upon their heads.

Those in the front row- center stage - held up large letters, one by one, to spell out the title of the song.

As the class would sing "C is for Christmas," a child would hold up the letter C. Then, "H is for Happy," and on and on, until each child holding up his portion had presented the complete message,
"Christmas Love."

The performance was going smoothly, until suddenly, we noticed her; a small, quiet, girl in the front row holding the letter "M" upside down - totally unaware her letter "M" appeared as a "W".

The audience of 1st through 6th graders snickered at this little one's mistake. But she had no idea they were laughing at her, as she stood tall, proudly holding her "W".

Although many teachers tried to shush the children, the laughter continued until the last letter was raised, and we all saw it together.

A hush came over the audience and eyes began to widen.

In that instant, we understood the reason we were there, why we celebrated the holiday in the first place, why even in the chaos, there was a purpose for our festivities.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]For when the last letter was held high, the message read loud and [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]clear:[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]"C H R I S T W A S L O V E"[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]And, I believe, He still is.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Amazed in His presence....humbled by His love.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]HAVE A BLESSED HOLIDAY SEASON [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]Merry Christmas Everyone[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,sans-serif]![/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Amen! Thanks for the reminder of what Christmas is all about.:cheers:

GREAT reminder... THANKS!! Some of the guys on my team at work are in India... One of them wished me well during this time of Celebration.... that got me thinking... As we go through this part of the year, it's easy (at least for me) to get so caught up in the busyness and lose sight of Jesus and the reason we are celebrating....

That brings up a good point.... Are we really celebrating? A celebration is a a joyous time that is centered around a certain event.... (my own definition)... SO, Let's keep that in the front of our mind and

CELEBRATE JESUS!!!!

I'm stoked about this Christmas. I get to spend it with my Daughter, her mother ( who I've been trying to work things out with ), and her relitives. I know I've spent more than I should have on preasants, and I don't expect near as much in return... as a mater of fact none would be fine with me. I know God will provide as my needs arise and I can't wait to see the looks on there faces when they open the preasants I got them. This year it truely is better to give than receive.
Merry Christmas everyone!

I'll never get why a monotheist religion uses a holiday with pagan origins to celebrate their god. Makes no sense to me.

OP- If you're taking that kids mistake as a sign, wouldnt the context mean that your god no longer is love?

Thanks Maniac. And for you Demon, He is Alpa and Omega, The beginning and the end. Was love and still is. Try reading the book sometimes and if ya want to cheat just a little read the end. We win. And oh, by the way. Merry Christmas to everyone even those that dont believe. It's not too late. I wont say never. What a gift!!
Small Block

I'll never get why a monotheist religion uses a holiday with pagan origins to celebrate their god. Makes no sense to me.

OP- If you're taking that kids mistake as a sign, wouldnt the context mean that your god no longer is love?

"C H R I S T W A S L O V E"And, I believe, He still is.
Quotes like the one from Dart or Demon are why this world has lost the real focus for the reason of the season. :cry:

Thanks Maniac. And for you Demon, He is Alpa and Omega, The beginning and the end. Was love and still is. Try reading the book sometimes and if ya want to cheat just a little read the end. We win. And oh, by the way. Merry Christmas to everyone, even those that don't believe. It's not too late. I wont say never. What a gift!!
Small Block

Amen, Mr. Bill!!!!!!

Well Said!!!!!!

God Bless Us, Everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWdJ1EXf5zo

The Exceptional One
~Mary

Thank you for sharing a great day with us here dustermaniac :happy10::happy10::happy10::happy10: Gave me a warm hart and happy goose bumbs:cheers:

Well said Small Block thank you brother :happy10:

Normally this would irritate me but for some unknown reason all i can think of is to pray for you Dartordemon. It must be a cold miserable feeling not to feel his love. It puts tears of joy in my eyes as I wish you could feel what I do. Thank you for reminding me that his work is not done and we must pray for our fellow brothers to feel the love he has bestowed upon us. Pete

"C H R I S T W A S L O V E"And, I believe, He still is.
Quotes like the one from Dart or Demon are why this world has lost the real focus for the reason of the season. :cry:

you mean the reason of the winter solstice that was formerly celebrated in Rome?

Small Block- I don't need to read the bible. Honestly, i think more christians need to sit down and actually read the bible. Most of them don't even know it has passages promoting slavery.

you mean the reason of the winter solstice that was formerly celebrated in Rome?

Small Block- I don't need to read the bible. Honestly, i think more christians need to sit down and actually read the bible. Most of them don't even know it has passages promoting slavery.

Here we go again, #-oanother newbie who is clueless!!!!!!!!!!

Those old testament verses can be interpreted to promote slavery if you want (or you're a muslim) but the truth is Christianity ended slavery throughout the world. And alot of HOLYdays are timed with old pagan holidays, doesn't make them pagan. Nobody wants to loose holidays, even pagans converting to Christianity.

Great story Dustermaniac, what a coincidence huh?
I don't believe haveing an opinion about Christmas is a SIN so a little christmas love is in order and thank the allmighty we can have opinions without suppression.

I am an artist and I am working on a painting of the gates of hell. Just outside the gates, looking in are two figures, one is a man and the other is Jesus speaking to the man. The title of the painting is tentatively planned to be "Last chance" It's never too late, up and to the end. Jesus will follow you to the gates of hell, and will accept you if you turn to Him (that is called repentance) and believe in Him!.

Sin is the reason for the season, Jesus is the reason that we have hope!

Jesus was born for this.

Merry Christmas! Thank you God for the gift!

Here we go again, #-oanother newbie who is clueless!!!!!!!!!!

as someone who believes in jesus you cannot judge his belief. If you do your basically imo nullifying your beliefs.

IMO I believe there is a god, their is some being who watches us, created this world, and oversees the world. I don't know if we have the exact story nailed right yet. The Myans, The Greeks, The Egyptians, they all believed in a greater power and almost no one has believed in the same person or beliefs.

Those old testament verses can be interpreted to promote slavery if you want (or you're a muslim) but the truth is Christianity ended slavery throughout the world. And alot of HOLYdays are timed with old pagan holidays, doesn't make them pagan. Nobody wants to loose holidays, even pagans converting to Christianity.

No, the passages are actually extremely blunt about slavery. Its a pretty unarguable fact. And it certainly wasnt christianity that ended slavery in america. It was people(some of whom called themselves christian) making a decision that something in their bible("gods" word if you will) was wrong and immoral.

I guess i'd take this stuff more seriously if people actually followed their belief to a T. The whole "pick and choose" mentality is really just humorous to me. But no one does and then the people who come the closest are usually the craziest(see phelps family/other religious extremists).

No, the passages are actually extremely blunt about slavery. Its a pretty unarguable fact. And it certainly wasnt christianity that ended slavery in america. It was people(some of whom called themselves christian) making a decision that something in their bible("gods" word if you will) was wrong and immoral.

I guess i'd take this stuff more seriously if people actually followed their belief to a T. The whole "pick and choose" mentality is really just humorous to me. But no one does and then the people who come the closest are usually the craziest(see phelps family/other religious extremists).

They may be blunt but how do they promote slavery in this day and age? They are in relation to the times they are set. The views in the New testament are different again, as are the various church decrees which have condemned slavery throughout the ages. And I'm sorry but I always thought the missionaries that spread the good word to the world were Christian, and almost every abolishonist I've heard of was Christian. Tell me some names of the none Christians? What is the dominant religion of the countries that still have slavery? Christianity effected a positive force on the ethos of the western world, and many of the freedoms we enjoy today are atributed to the teachings of Christ. Including a nice pork roast for Christmas :-D

I'm not a religious person.I deal with God in my own way. It's a shame that Maniac puts up a thread about some children who are justt having a great time at Christmas and it has to obliterated by all these religious comments.After I read the story I was going to reply simply that it was a heart warming little story and that I hoped the little girl was not embarrassed or hurt.Nice story Duster!8)

HERE HERE DRENO! I agree it was a nice story, and I'm sorry I won't ague anymore. (I'm at work with too much time on the computer):-D

-
Back