Thermal fan clutch

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Simple question on a thermal fan clutch. Should they lock up more when the engine is warm compared to it being cold. The one on my car seems to be slipping a lot when it is warm, and not pulling as much air through the radiator as I would like.

Yes, that is how they work. They should not be slipping more. However, the fluid inside can be thicker before start up. IF you suspect an issue with the fan, I would suggest a MP part called the viscous fan. There a funky off set bladed fan, 5 blades and were found on HP engines, not regular engines, like a 318. They will move a ton of air. You also have a fan shroud correct? If not, grab one.

If you start your motor when it is cold,then shut it off after 10 seconds it should stop instantly and not spin freely. If it spins freely it is nfg. Darryl

Thanks! I bought a new one from Advance for around $25.00 and a fan shroud from E-bay. After watching the fan while the motor was breaking in, I didn't think it was working right. wasn't pulling as much air as it should and was not spinning that fast.

Brought what new from Advanced? A thermo coupler or entire fan?

Just the thermal clutch. It might have been $30.00, but it was cheap enough for now until I can get a viscous fan.

A simple trick to make them tighter is to remove the outer end of the thermal spring and clock it around one full turn clockwise.

-
Back