Thermo Quad #4973

-
Yep, will do. Brad Bosen is the best. In fact he has one on his 360 that is doing 10`s.

Hi the 4973's go for about $250 to $300 if they are complete, sold one on ebay a few months ago for $275. also if you have this solenoid I'm interested, they go for around $200 possibly more Pm me about the solenoid.

Attachments

• 022 (1280x853).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 4977655-IdleStopA.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 197
holey crap!!!!!! My carb is missing a few pieces of linkage. The choke and accel pump linkage. I don`t have that solenoid either. You would think they would sell them new. Did all 71`s have that?

71's AND 72's used that solenoid..bolted to the manifold. Some 72's the solenoid was shorter. Same solenoid used on 70-71 sixpack and HEMI's too....that's why they go for big bucks.

Kikgas...the date code is 1387 on your other carb - 138 day of 1977.

71's AND 72's used that solenoid..bolted to the manifold. Some 72's the solenoid was shorter. Same solenoid used on 70-71 sixpack and HEMI's too....that's why they go for big bucks.

I have learned something today that I never knew! Thanks to honest people!! That's what makes this site AA+++

Oh...and the date code you listed for the manifold is a 1968...so it's bolt pattern is for a Carter AVS...THermoquad wont bolt on without an adapter.

Another thing to look for on small block manifolds is the heater hose nipple....larger 1/2" on 1969 and older....1970 - up used the smaller 5/8" with two differnt sized heater hoses. Same size hose on 69 and older.

and that RH exhaust manifold is a 1970 and older...71's were different.

OK, so here's a stupid question, what does the idle stop solenoid do?

I can guess it probably stops the idle. Question is how?

Thanks

MAN, THANKS!!! That is why this site is the absolute BEST. Not to often you find honest folks. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. :cheers: To bad the rest of the world wasn`t like you!

He said it depended on what it needed and is missing. I have another one that come with it as well for parts.
'71 Thermoquads were a 1 year only deal. Their jets were pressed in not
screwed in like '72 and later, so if you are missing jets you can't use later
ones from another carb. '71's are also air metered and '72 and up fuel metered.

Glenn

OK, so here's a stupid question, what does the idle stop solenoid do?

I can guess it probably stops the idle. Question is how?

Thanks
its energized with the key on and its out, then when you kill the engine it retracts and allows the throttle blades to close more so no run on and dieseling. they are being repop you can find them on e-bay for about $100 only difference is no stamped part #.

'71 Thermoquads were a 1 year only deal. Their jets were pressed in not
screwed in like '72 and later, so if you are missing jets you can't use later
ones from another carb. '71's are also air metered and '72 and up fuel metered.

Glenn
they were not pressed in they are screw in but much different tham the 72 and later, the press in is the first CS series (competition series) like 1969/70 ones, here is a 71 jet, Your right about the air metered for 71

Attachments

• 001 (1280x960).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 155
I, too, love this site. I learned more about what my car originally came with and is now missing.

FWIW I was told by a guy who is running a 71 Demon in Super Stock that the 9 series TQs are preferred over the 4 series. He said that the fuel metered jets are better.

Nice looking engine!!!!!! They look nice with the t-quad over the AVS. that carb has the accelerator pump to linkage rod upside down. FWIW

Is that even a 71 carb? I notice the linkage from the choke to the secondaries. Didn`t think 71 had that. That is a great pic for reference for mine. Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Good eye EL5!...it's already been switched around.
It's the orig 71.
Note angled idle mixture screws.
Only the 71-72 had the extra lever off the throttle pivot for the Solenoid adjustment screw...

Good eye EL5!...it's already been switched around.
It's the orig 71.
Note angled idle mixture screws.
Only the 71-72 had the extra lever off the throttle pivot for the Solenoid adjustment screw...
is that one of your vehicles? got more detailed pics of the engine compartment? looks great!!

I scored another 1971 thermoquad yesterday for 75 bucks. Then I bought 2 complete 4 speeds with shifters, belhousings and flywheels as well as a 71 Duster Twister that is the SAME color as mine. I will probably put my 500 and a 4 speed in that one lol.

-
Back