Thermoquad Info

-

Chris Amey

Reaction score
When I bought my 71 Scamp (with a 360) last fall it had a Holley 750 DP on it which was over kill. I am looking to put another carb on. A friend has a rebuilt 1979 Thermoquad carb that came off a 360 that he wants for a straight trade. I can not find any info on the small blocks thermoquad carbs that will help me in a decision to trade. If not I will just throw a 625 CFM carter Competetion Carb I have on it. Car is a 360 .30 over with 9:1 compression What do ya think?

Chris

Great carb when done and tuned right...scored one off an old man's '73 P/U (78k mile original) that got wrecked and it will be on my budget 340. Love them, even fuel perculation is not much of an issue with them and today's crappy gasoline.

Chris, wrong year T-Q. Find an early unit

There emision carbs. They run lean as is on there OE engunes. Pop them on top of a cammed up, header engine and it will be super lean.

OR, you can send it to demon sizzler for some minor work to have it set up for a perfomance application.

++ on a early Thermobog. I am running the original one on my 73 340.
It has a .508 Purple Shaft cam and long tube headers. It will idle for 15 minutes and you can nail it and it will blow the tires away. No muss, no fuss-just instant let's see if we can suck the hood thru the carb.
We spent a day getting the secondaries to open just right and it was time well spent.

++ on a early Thermobog. I am running the original one on my 73 340.
It has a .508 Purple Shaft cam and long tube headers. It will idle for 15 minutes and you can nail it and it will blow the tires away. No muss, no fuss-just instant let's see if we can suck the hood thru the carb.
We spent a day getting the secondaries to open just right and it was time well spent.

For someone that has NEVER worked on one set one up messed with one how are they to tune/work on? Im a FI guy never had much luck doing anything with ANY carbs except adjusting the idle..when ever id have a problem i would seem only to make a carb(any make) run worse, or not run at all..ive always had to have someone that actually knew what they were doing set one up/help me out...

Without a A/F gauge, a seat of the pants feel on a trail and error street testing is the best you have until you hit a track for time slips.

What your going to have to do is read up on carbs and understand how's and why's to what they do and why it does it.

Carbs are easy to work on. Instead of a computer to tune, you use your head and a time slip if possible. Just remember to do one change at a time and test. This can take awhile, but it will be worth the effort.

If you go slower or make anything worse, you ethier went to far or the wrong way. Everthing you do is a 50/50 chance. Just map out what happens and you'll end up with a graph of which direction you'll need to travel in on the next change.

-
Back