Thermoquad issues

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Ok, I have run TQs off an on for many years and raced them. I like them. But I am wondering why after sitting for a day, there isnt enough fuel left in the well to start the carb. So you have to crank and pump for a while to start. The well o rings are good. Is this a case of a warped body.Cant see anything from outside the carb. Thanks

I believe due to the large vent tubes the gas is evaporating.

I had the same problem on my TQ, I installed a small electric pump by the tank and it cured my problem. Turn the pump on and get gas to the mechanical pump and it would fire in short order. Then I would just turn the pump off.

I did an experiment a couple of summers ago and put about an inch of gas in a spray paint cap and left it on my work bench during some hot and humid weather. It took only 24 hours for it to disappear.

I know thats a good fix. But I wonder, this didnt exist when TQs were new. I also wonder, is it a gas problem. Todays gas is a pain with carburated engines.

yes..today's gas...out here in vegas about 2-3 days and my eddy afb wont have enough gas in it for the accelerator pump to squirt...i usually park it down hill in the driveway so gravity will help the mechanical fuel pump.

Ok, Im almost laughing. Im considering buying a 76 power wagon for my tow vehicle. looks like two pumps will be a must for that vehicle.

Same issue here in The People's Republic (California) with the AFB on my Duster and the TQ on my Jeep, it's the gas.

-
Back