Thermoquad question

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok Im rebuilding 9379s on my 84 D150. I believe the 1st pic is the "altitude compensater"??? It has a rubber valve on it. The 2nd pic shows the one I took off, it has a dome shape top to it. The next pic shows the 3 I have to choose from in my kit. Any ideas which one to go with?? None in the kit are the same as to what I removed.

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• DSCF2538 (Medium).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF2533 (Medium).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF2535 (Medium).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 235
Do you really even need that part on the carb?

The one on the right looks closest to me.

What does "altitude compensator" do?? In English please Bruce!! LOL
Oh yeah the one furthest on the right is the closest, but both sides are flat, whereas the orig one is domed one on side?? Spanks Bruce!! Merry Christmas to you n yers!

**** if I know. I never build those cores. I use them for parts. You should find an earlier/non emissions version.

Not sure on the altitude compensator. I can only imagine it would be for engines operated at higher altitudes, lol.

I did find this:

12. The idle enrichment valve opens the idle circuit to an extra air bleed, leaning the mixture except when vacuum is applied during warm-up. It could more accurately be described as an enleanment valve. The barrel shaped device is the high altitude compensator. It senses air pressure with a gas filled bellow, opening and closing off an extra air bleed to adjust the main metering circuit. Though it was added as an emission device, the idea of altitude compensations sounds good enough to keep it.

**** if I know. I never build those cores. I use them for parts. You should find an earlier/non emissions version.

-30* average temp, no $$ and no garage, so Im limited with my options. So Im sticking with the factory carb for now.

Not sure on the altitude compensator. Though it was added as an emission device, the idea of altitude compensations sounds good enough to keep it.

Thanks Bruce, yep the elec hookup and the name makes me wanna keep it hooked up. I will go with the one on the right, at least its an easy change out if need be. Thanks Bruce

That looks more like the electric bowl vent to me. Is it on the back of the carb, or the front?

The altitude thing would be on the front, right below the choke horn and part of the top casting. Pretty sure DemonSizzler had some tips on how what to do to get rid of that and make it run right, but I don't know what they were off hand.

Dion, its mounted on the rear of the air horn. I went ahead and installed it with the "flat on both sides" valve. I got the carb installed with Old Kimmer's help and it fired right up. I need to pick up a couple clips and take it for a test drive. So far so good.

Here is a great article from Mopar Muscle on rebuilding a thermoquad
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...04_rebuilding_a_carter_thermoquad_carburetor/

Oh Geezzz the Alt. Comp. Is a gizmo that do hens and leans out the air fuel mix to keep a good balanced A/F ratio no matter where your driving. Up top the mountain down to the sea side. It is not exactly an emmisions piece and yes you need that on that carb. Should you deleate it, it can still be made to run, just not as designed.

-
Back