Thermoquad "super quad" questions!

-

macdrew77

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a Thermoquad #9800s on eBay for like 30 bucks and plan to put it on a mild 318 that's in my 70 Dart. I've torn it down cleaned it and rebuilt it but have some questions before I'm ready to bolt it on. First, I gather that the 9800s is a late run "super quad" or something to that effect that is based off of the 75 and later TQ carbs. Does this mean I need to make some modifications to get the best performance on my non smogger application? Also, as you can see, Mine is missing any choke attachments. Are they absolutely necessary? I live in a warm climate. One more question. Us the bowl vent tube meant to be plumbed to the valve cover breather? Thanks for any and all help.

Attachments

• 14415936769441270323806.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 1441593698864295128482.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 1441593734998-1480489351.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 282
The Superquad was Carter's line of aftermarket performance carburetors. All were 800 CFM. You have the GM/Ford version. Never fear, all you need to do is get the Chrysler linkage adapter from Edelbrock.

The choke parts would be nice, especially since the Superquads all came with electric chokes. But it's not a deal breaker if you can live without a choke.

Yours is also missing the choke pull off/vacuum break. You must have that for correct secondary operation.

It also appears that the secondary air door is loose. It should be spring loaded to close on it's own. Looks like it needs going over for sure, but they can be great carbs.

The vacuum choke pull off and the rod is missing.
All the electric choke parts are missing.
The choke ate is missing and may cause hard starts and driving when cold.
(As in cold engine not air temp.)
No need to modify it, use as is.
The bowl vent tune gets connected to the vapor canister. It helps vent the carb for driving and starting as well as emmisions when driving or sitting.
If you do not connect it to a vapor canister, leave it as is. So not cap it. A filter or breather on it is not needed.

Thanks for the replies. Are choke pull offs interchangeable? Will any from 75 onwards work?

-
Back