Thermoquad top gasket leak

-

maddin

Reaction score
Hey there,

I couldn't find any good advice, hope you can help me.

Bought a rebuilt TQ for 1980 truck 318 application.

Problem is it leaks from the top gasket right above the phenolic body. Leaks are all around on either side, even from stem for acc. pump.

I use a stock-style SB mechanical pump, pressure seems OK (used an old meter to check pressure).

All capped connections according to Vaanth guide...

Hope you have some hints for me.

the float is plastic. some times it goes bad and takes on fuel and sinks. to test if its bad take the float out after its been in the carb. set it on the table same as if in carb. and push the metal lever down. if float is filled with fuel it will pust the metal lever back up showing it fuel logged.

Brass floats are better, could be to high of a float level, top of phenolic center warped, how does it run?

The bowl can be sanded until level across the top.
New floats are available.
Cracks can be JB welded

The bowl can be sanded until level across the top.
New floats are available.
Cracks can be JB welded

I was going to mention that, as I have seen where they warped and leaked, and also where people had sanded them flat again using a piece of glass as a flat surface.

Bingo! Winner! The key to it all, FLAT SURFACE!
LMAO!

Hi,

I already installed brass floats last year.
Guess next will be checking for perfectly flat bowl surface.

In the meantime I found an advice by demonsizzler to open the front bowl vent. It is closed on my carb and I should drill a hole into it. I attached two pics: mine and how it should be.

Attachments

• P1015563.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Zwischenablage01.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 100
That ^^ may help.

I think you can gently work that tube out, cut the end or drill it out and reinstall it.

That way you won't be getting fillings in the carb.

-
Back