Thermoquad

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Thermoquad from a friend who took it off of his 400 powered 72 Roadrunner a number of years ago. The carb was perfect when it was on the car but has subsequently been sitting in a box for the past 5 years.

What should I do maintenance-wise to get this carb back in shape to run on my 360? Thanks!

Try and run it before you rebuild it. As long as the gas was emptied from the carb and bowls, it will more likely run and not leak if stored in a resonable manor. At least a rag over the top.

Truthfully I would put a fresh rebuild kit in it but that's just me. I doubt it will run well after sitting for so long.

One TQ "chat" in the whole fuel systems section ... WOW.

WHEN is the Plastic-Fantastic ever going to be as popular as the Berry-Crab ?? ... :evil3: .... :iconbigg:

Well ...I have another nick-name(that can be published on a BB like this!) .. which is DrTQ. Guess what that is ? I have done my fair share of work on the P F ...and I will be glad to share some of my knowledge of the TQ with anyone that cares to ask. But BEING HONEST .... I have not done any serious work on a TQ in at least a year or so.

To address some of the points so far - now I can only report MY experiences..........

A five year old carb ? ... as long as the carb is not full of varish - from some types of gas sitting for awhile .... all I would do is fill it up with fuel(from the vent tubes) ... let it sit for a day or two and give-it-a-shot ! My Discoverer motorhome ...sat for 4 years ... I did what I just said - and it ran like a champ. My 62 Belvedere fun-streeter(12.69et-2.76 gear-18 mpg) - sat for 5 years - did the same - NO problemO.

Needing a rebuild ? ..... maybe yes ... probably NO. Now some people might tell you diff ... but they just might want some $$$ from you. BEING HONEST again ....I have NEVER completely rebuilt a TQ. It has simply NOT needed it.

I stand corrected A R ..... I have some nice reading 2 do !

-
Back