Thermoquads and tall spacers

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
A near stock 360 Magnum.Headers,airgap manifold.(center divider milled,worked plenum)3.55 gears,9.5 converter(real world 2800-3200 flash hit.Cam:Crower hyd roller,284 adv duration.At. 050,224,.491 lift.20 inches of vac @800 with timing 16 initial,34 @ 3000.I am thinking T/Q,3 Holleys I have tried don't feel right.I can make a 1 to 2"spacer,no problem.How bad does the tall spacers throw off T/Qs?Thanks,in advance,Tim:prayer:

Use an open spacer and don't worry about it. Otherwise, your looking for a M1 with the carb pad already set up for a TQ.

They are badass setup right. They require a bit more long suffering than any other carburetor to get right. You won't just bolt on and go unless you're the luckiest person on the planet. Soon as I get my D150 goin, I will use it as a test mule to build and sell some mean *** thermoquads.

I run a 1" Spacer under an 850 TQ on the 340 in my '74 (did anyway, a 6-71 blower is going on the car).

I liked it, noticed a bit of a difference in the "butt dyno" :D

TQ's are about the easiest carb there is to work on or tune, I'd rather work on a TQ than any other carb.

The spacer add's plenum volume and length to the intake runners' This help's low rpm torque. As long as it fit's under the hood I'd use it. The TQ is an amazing carb,I've had lot's! Only thing about em is the lack of tuning part's like jet's and rod's. Get a few spare tq's and use em for part's! A numbered drill bit set for drilling out the jet's to bigger sizes really helps as well. I just mount the jet in a spare phenolic body and drill it.

Use AFB rods cut down 3/4's of an inch and re bend to fit.
As far as jets go, IF the under jet well comes loose during rebuild, and only if it comes loose, you can re tap the threads for a Holley jet or AFB/AVS jet.

DO NOT try and remove the plastic well. It is almost a 100% guarantee it'll brake and render the carb a pile of parts.

Use AFB rods cut down 3/4's of an inch and re bend to fit.
As far as jets go, IF the under jet well comes loose during rebuild, and only if it comes loose, you can re tap the threads for a Holley jet or AFB/AVS jet.

DO NOT try and remove the plastic well. It is almost a 100% guarantee it'll brake and render the carb a pile of parts.

Good tips here! The well is a REAL ***** to get off in one piece. I've done it' but I'll never bother again.

I'll have to try tapping the next one if the well's are leaking..

-
Back