thermostat on 5.7

-
Lotta guys on the LX forum seem to change them to 180 degree.....any reason for this? Does the engine perform better at a lower operating temp?

Lotta guys on the LX forum seem to change them to 180 degree.....any reason for this? Does the engine perform better at a lower operating temp?

Generally, the cooler the engine the more power.
But, the cooler, the more engine wear also.

This is why a lot of racers use a 160.

that kinda why i was asking when i got mine running and hooked up the elec fan it is set for 180 degrees but the coolant didnt start flowing until around 190 or so my friends who are chevy guys said i needed to change to 180 thermostat that the 195 was too high for this engine i dont see that much difference unless someone can provide another reason

Not sure if it's the same or not, but I seem to recall the 6.1 having a 205 degree stat.

Not sure if it's the same or not, but I seem to recall the 6.1 having a 205 degree stat.

Yep

You are going to want to set that fan up to come on at 210-215
At 180 it would be on most of the time.
I use the thermostatic controlled electric setup, and have it set to where the fan will come on at 210 and shut back off at 190 and I'm using a 180 thermostat. (I don't have a Hemi)
But notice the temp span (210) and the fan comes on.
(190) it's cooled down to normal temps and the fan shuts off.
Normal driving around 30mph and up, the fan never comes on becuase the airflow keeps it under the temp that the fan is set to come on.

-
Back